EGR port drilling screwup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR port drilling screwup

So the last guy who had my car drilled out the egr plugs. To clarify I mean he drilled into the plug, not the whole plug.

His aim with the drill was not centered, he went all the way through them, and messed up the little holes behind the plugs, widening them. They didn't go all the way into the manifold beyond the egr passage or anything that drastic though.

When I got the car I noticed that the far right plug hadn't been capped like the rest. The plug just had a hole in it and was pulling in air (like I said, drilled through). The rest had been capped with solder and some sort of hard putty. I pulled all of them, despite pulling in fresh air they were surprisingly dirty.

Should I be concerned about this? I've read that you're not supposed to mess up those ports, but it doesn't seem like it would really hurt anything since they are closed anyway. Maybe I misunderstand.

Also:

when I got the car I noticed a persistent hissing and high idle (guessing I found my vacuum leak...) but also a sort of bobbling, popping noise coming from the intake...maybe. Related? He installed a generic short ram with a messed up gasket and a K&N.

ahhh dammit.

So i went to take a picture to clarify the situation here and upon closer examination he DID drill into the manifold and put a pinhole in there. As in through the port and through to the other side. The EGR passages are still a little dirty (didn't get everything) so didn't see that the first time.

At $29 at the JY I'm guessing it's not worth fixing, hard to get to and see if epoxy set properly and not worth the risk getting sucked into the engine.

Last edited by aluminum13; 05-21-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

i hate dealing with other peoples fuck ups. im sure you do too, now that youre getting a taste of it. if you do get another intake, while its off the car this would be an excellent time to drill out those caps, give it a thorough cleaning and for future serviceability, i would enlarge the holes enough to thread them and install some allen head plugs and not have to dick around with it again. use a little bit of teflon tape for anti-seeze and ensuring theyre air tight.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
        i hate dealing with other peoples fuck ups. im sure you do too, now that youre getting a taste of it. if you do get another intake, while its off the car this would be an excellent time to drill out those caps, give it a thorough cleaning and for future serviceability, i would enlarge the holes enough to thread them and install some allen head plugs and not have to dick around with it again. use a little bit of teflon tape for anti-seeze and ensuring theyre air tight.

Yep, it sucks. On the bright side it would have sucked more to install the thing, find it was messed up, throw away time and cash on a gasket set, and then have to go to the yard anyway, so hey, could be worse.

I had the IM off anyway actually and had cleaned it, the fuel ports were filthy, I don't know how the injectors even worked (they were leaking too).

I was testing the injectors and noticed that they spray more of a stream than a mist, is that a problem? (testing with AA battery, syringe, and brake clean). I could pick up another set of injectors at the JY...

I do like the threaded plug idea, though not sure what size to get or if I should enlarge them to SAE sizes or what. Are small pipe thread taps and plugs something the local hardware store might have?

And is teflon tape ok if it gets oily? I saw one guy on the forum (I think dj-ender) used epoxy, that struck me as something you'd never be able to get out but I don't know. Heat safe RTV?
        Last edited by aluminum13; 05-21-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aluminum13 View Post
          Yep, it sucks. On the bright side it would have sucked more to install the thing, find it was messed up, throw away time and cash on a gasket set, and then have to go to the yard anyway, so hey, could be worse.

I had the IM off anyway actually and had cleaned it, the fuel ports were filthy, I don't know how the injectors even worked (they were leaking too).

I was testing the injectors and noticed that they spray more of a stream than a mist, is that a problem? (testing with AA battery, syringe, and brake clean). I could pick up another set of injectors at the JY...
          Yes a stream isnt so good for fuel atomization, there are injector services that can clean and balance for about 20$ an injector. There are also a few DIY videos on youtube using injector cleaner compressed air and a power supply

I do like the threaded plug idea, though not sure what size to get or if I should enlarge them to SAE sizes or what. Are small pipe thread taps and plugs something the local hardware store might have?
          Thanks,whatever size depending on what you have available to you, I wouldnt hog out the holes but whatever you can piece together will work. The hardware store should have some NPT taps and plugs with square heads if you want to go that route, 1/8" should work, its up to you

And is teflon tape ok if it gets oily? I saw one guy on the forum (I think dj-ender) used epoxy, that struck me as something you'd never be able to get out but I don't know. Heat safe RTV?
          Teflons pretty resilient you dont need a lot you dont want a thread to fall in, I definitely wouldnt epoxy them in that'd kind of be defeating the purpose, maybe some low strength thread locker, black rtv would be suitable too, its up to you im just pointing the way

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            Teflons pretty resilient you dont need a lot you dont want a thread to fall in, I definitely wouldnt epoxy them in that'd kind of be defeating the purpose, maybe some low strength thread locker, black rtv would be suitable too, its up to you im just pointing the way
            Alright thanks for the help I'm just figuring out the little details. I'll probably see what square caps they have at the hardware store to double check sizing for the hex caps.

Comment

I sorta ended up matching the size of the 7th big egr port plug that's on the d/s end by the brake mc. I used 1/2" 13tpi Allen/hex set screws with Teflon tape. I enlarged the top 6 ports to this size w/o any issues at all. From memory, the 7th hole was already slightly larger than my 27/64" drill size but tapping the existing approx 15/32" hole worked fine. No vacuum leaks at all. If you want to jump up to 9/16" set screws to slightly enlarge the 7th port that'd work too. Also if you want all 7 in the same size but in pipe thread/npt I would suggest 1/4" npt as it uses a 7/16" drill size which is spot on. 1/8" npt is too small for the top 6 ports.

Comment

Working...
              X