No start after cylinder head replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start after cylinder head replacement

Burnt a valve, decided to replace the whole cylinder head with a rebuilt unit.

(yeah, that's pretty ugly)

Things went together pretty smoothly, but not starting, just cranks and cranks, nothing. Went back and checked timing with valve cover off.

Checking:

Is the UP mark on the cam TDC supposed to match up with the piston being at it's highest point, or should it be offset? With screwdriver in spark plug hole the piston is at the highest point, I'm lined up with the + on the flywheel (but I notice the 15 degree offset marks) and that seems like that should be right.

I re-did the valve lash, maybe slightly on the tighter side...but I doubt that would cause a total "no run" issue. I made sure to adjust in the right order, almost screwed that up (with the cylinders numbered 4 3 2 1 and firing 1 3 4 2 or whatever...i read it from the manual i don't remember if that's right but you get the idea).

Pulling the plugs I get the strong odor of unburnt gas. Spark issue?

I'm gonna check the distributor again, but any pointers would be helpful, it's been one of those weeks and maybe I'm overlooking something.

T–stat ground
    COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
      T–stat ground
      Never removed it, managed to pull everything out of the way, but it is looking kinda corroded. I'll try it. Thanks.

I tried searching, is there a write-up on distributor checks somewhere (I swore there was). Haynes manual isn't the best.

Internal coil: + to - is 1.2 ohms, spec is .6-.8...maybe it's going bad I don't think that's it though.

+ to secondary is at the high end of spec (19k).

On to the the ICM.

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
        T–stat ground
        !!!!!

So I get to the ICM. Not getting 12 volts.

Brillo the thermo ground, slather on dialectric grease, stumbled on start than BAM. Running real nice now.

You're the man. So much respect and thanks.

Comment

For future searchers: I figure what happened is I spilled coolant on the ground when I pulled the thermo, and it corroded overnight. Probably wasn't great to begin with.

Comment

Working...
          X