Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel Swapping 1993 Accord EX

1993 Accord EX

My '93 has 188,300 miles on it & the rubber on the outer parts of the steering wheel is very loose & ripped up. Also, where the airbag would be, the rubber looks somewhat pulled back almost like someone was peeling the rubber back.

From the research I have done on our CB7Tuner site, it looks like a complete pain in the ass to put in a different steering wheel.

Is there any steering wheels that are close to a direct bolt-on?
    Maybe I could find an oem steering wheel from another CB?

Just trying to figure out some different options because my steering wheel is just disgusting to look at & is also an Interior Eye Sore!!

Any suggestions?
    Keep Pushing..

You can get one from a junk yard. I lucked out and found one in like new condition for $20. However it doesnt come with the air bag; it would have cost more.

Another option is to go with an aftermarket set up, such as NRG. Its really not too difficult.

Comment

Okay I just seen a lot of posts about when someone does an aftermarket steering wheel or just another wheel period, the horn & blinkers have issues.
      I just want even a stock wheel without having to worry about anything not functioning properly.
      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
        Okay I just seen a lot of posts about when someone does an aftermarket steering wheel or just another wheel period, the horn & blinkers have issues.
        I just want even a stock wheel without having to worry about anything not functioning properly.
        I just installed and NRG wheel with quick detach. Cost me about $300 and was super easy to install. The horn however there aren't any instructions on how to wire the horn but I figured it out without the clock spring. I did it on a 90 accord but I'm willing to help

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
        When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

cool man, thanks. What about the airbag wiring?
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
            cool man, thanks. What about the airbag wiring?
            You have a 1993. It has the SRS airbag. It takes more work compared to a 90-91. You can bypass the SRS though. But it all depends on what you want to swap your steering wheel to.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181643

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
            My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
            Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Originally posted by buzz11 View Post
              You have a 1993. It has the SRS airbag. It takes more work compared to a 90-91. You can bypass the SRS though. But it all depends on what you want to swap your steering wheel to.
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181643
              Cool, that DIY looks pretty good.
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

you can install an Acura Vigor wheel. Its leather wrapped and a direct bolt in and has a cancel button for the cruise that'll work w/ the CB7's plug and play. The airbag i got from a 4th gen 92-96 prelude due to the texturing not matching completely with the CB7 airbag and it left a gap on the sides so i found a correct one.

\

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  you can install an Acura Vigor wheel. Its leather wrapped and a direct bolt in and has a cancel button for the cruise that'll work w/ the CB7's plug and play. The airbag i got from a 4th gen 92-96 prelude due to the texturing not matching completely with the CB7 airbag and it left a gap on the sides so i found a correct one.

\
                  That looks so good!! My Toyota that I use as my DD has the similar leather wrapping. Real clean.
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

I'd definitely go with another airbag-equipped wheel. It's a bit of a gray area as to whether or not it's illegal to remove airbags from cars of that era. They weren't federally mandated at the time of production, but tampering with existing safety equipment can still be illegal in some states. If you have state inspection requirements, or attentive police, installing a wheel that doesn't have an airbag could prove to be a major hassle for you. From what I've heard, MD isn't the most lenient of states. I know it would be an issue here in NJ (even though we only have emissions inspections, a lack of airbag would likely cause them to reject the car at the inspection station... stupid, I know... same with a cracked windshield!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I'd definitely go with another airbag-equipped wheel. It's a bit of a gray area as to whether or not it's illegal to remove airbags from cars of that era. They weren't federally mandated at the time of production, but tampering with existing safety equipment can still be illegal in some states. If you have state inspection requirements, or attentive police, installing a wheel that doesn't have an airbag could prove to be a major hassle for you. From what I've heard, MD isn't the most lenient of states. I know it would be an issue here in NJ (even though we only have emissions inspections, a lack of airbag would likely cause them to reject the car at the inspection station... stupid, I know... same with a cracked windshield!)
                      OH HELL YEAH. Maryland is not lenient at all!! Cops will reign down on you like you are the east coast Kingpin just for having a nice looking car. (off-topic) my very first car was a 1985 SS Monte Carlo & I would get pulled over all the time for nothing! So I can imagine how a cop would love to nail me for a steering wheel without an airbag.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Granted, it could be a chance for a cop to give you a ticket for something less than going 30 over the limit! (not that cops in MD do that anymore... there are cameras for that!)
                        That's one majorly irritating thing about tickets like that. Very often, they require you to show up in court with proof that you corrected the offending modification. At the very least, cops that run your plates in the future will see that you were warned or cited, and be on the lookout for it. It happened to my friend who had tinted front windows (illegal here). He drove for 2 years with no problem. Got pulled over once... and then it was practically a daily occurrence until he removed it.

Comment

I agree. Yeah Maryland is wild. They will look for any small thing to get you to pull over because they assume everyone has drugs. If a cop pulls you over, there is a good chance there will be backup including 5 other cop cars haha. Ridiculous!
                          Yeah the tint is definitely something they always look for around here. Oh well, I just drive the speed limit & wear my seat belt so they don't bother me.
                          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                          X