University Of Northwestern Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

University Of Northwestern Ohio

this is my senior yr and i had a representative for UNOH come and speak in my automotive repair class

so this is a college that extremely specialized in Automotive performance, such as engine and chassis building from scratch, honing and sleeving, racing, diagnostics, general mechanics, and even has their own track, dirt, road courses
    of they have the required courses like English, mathematics, economics, etc.

they also have law, health, business certificate diploma's, if you those

this college is growing largely and has recently started their own basketball, tennis, softball, vollyball teams, etc

this is the field ( automotive performance) that i am really interested in going and i want to go , BUTTTT, i live down here in Florida and their tution is a little high including thier housing, but they also have their acadimic courses and is still cheaper that those "profit makers " technical schools.

i have another alternative, i can go to my community College at SCC ( Seminole Community College , they specialize in automotive performance engines too ( Campus is home to the CFADA Professional Automotive Training Center )
    their tuition is much cheaper like 3/5 times cheaper than UNOH, but obliviously doesn't have as good equipment like UNOH,

right now i am leaning towards SCC b.c its cheaper , close and i could use the DIRECT CONNECT program to University of Central Florida ( 2 yrs at SCC and 2 yrs at UCF ) the downside is that i lose the extra 2 years to learn and experience on automotive tech/ performance

i think its just unrealistic that i can go to University of Northwestern Ohio, but i really , really want too

i am at cross roads, what are your opinions

UNOH --http://www.unoh.edu/

SCC-- http://www.scc-fl.edu/

UCF -- http://www.ucf.edu/
    Last edited by ibr_adam09; 02-03-2009, 10:53 PM.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

hey man. let's set things straight.

UNOH representatives have very high charisma. The school is great if you want to learn about cars.. not if you want to get laid and live in a safe neighborhood You will spend long boring days doing absolutely nothing, but they grow on you, and most guys out here are pretty chill and willing to talk. I have been here since June and come all the way from RI, so I know what it's like to be far from home. If you find a good group of guys you lose sight of your life at home and start to develop another here in town. Sure it sucks, and it does for everyone else, so we make the best of it. And you will never meet a more crazy cool group than the Ohio CB7 crew They served as another family to me coming from where I did; and it was nice knowing I always had people I could fall back on.

The school has it's own dirt track, "Lima Land." Of course you could get involved with that through the school and run with sprint cars, but there is no road course for your car, we have a tiny autocross track haha, and if you're into trucks, I believe we have a couple rock hills and mud pits. Remember you're in the Midwest, hill billy country. Rebel flags fly high

Dorms are set up like apartments. 6 to an apartment. Each one contains it's own bathroom, kitchen, living area. College Park dorms, CP dorms, are my personal favorite and where I live. In these apartments there are three bedrooms, two to a room with bunk beds to sleep on. Most people complain how stiff the mattress is.. I kinda like it. CP is set up in one floor buildings with 3 apartments in a row. Northern Park Dorms, NP dorms, is set up more like an apartments building with 3 bedrooms, 2 to a room. Sherwood Park, SP dorms are also set up like apartments buildings however are considered the nicest. They are a little more secluded, however have two bedrooms. 4 to one, 2 in the other. If I remember correctly they have a couple pictures of the dorms they show you guys when they present the college.. I don't even know where those pictures were taken, haha. I pay $450 every 6 weeks to live where I do, and that includes everything but internet. Cable is provided, but don't let them fool you into thinking you can get wifi in your dorms through the school. It's an outside provider.

There are women out here, but they are hard to come by. Lima chicks either have a kid, or have some type of STD, so stick to whatever business girls you can find haha. And the school doesn't do much to help the two sexes mingle either. They tried have a dance, but from what I heard it was just a bunch of guys standing around and drinking "pop." I didn't even waste my time.

All in all you won't get anything out of this school but education and a very nice knowledge of drugs

If you come up for orientation, hit me up and I'll show you the real side of UNOH in Lima.

(sorry if this either didn't make sense or rambles on too much, I am under the influence of marijuana)

Comment

I can attest to what this man says!

Hey, I'm Andy. I go to UNOH as well, I got here in August of last year.

There's not much going on in the town, but like he said, the education is the best in the country.

There isn't a cafeteria or any of that, so you need to buy your own groceries and such. Although they are building a couple new buildings...we'll see.

But obviously Pete and I are still going here, so the pro's out weigh the con's. Safety Services (Campus Po-Po) are alright. I don't do much drinking myself, but all the stories I hear about Safety busting parties, end with Safety just telling them to calm down, Safety taking the booze and leaving, and giving you a warning. Like I said, I don't do much drinking so I can't give you my word on that lol. Pot however, they are very strict on. A bunch of my buddies have been caught in the dorms smoking. Safety will evict you immediately. They give you a week or so to get your shit and leave campus.

Like Pete said, if you decide to come down here, we're here until 2010, so feel free to give us a PM whenever.

:wave:

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

lol, I saw the thread title and thought "Where's Nacho?"

Another bonus to going to UNOH is you get to hang out with the Ohio Crew.

Comment

man ,this is great , i didnt think i would get respones from people who actually go to UNOH. sweet feedback

i am in it for the edu, i dont do drugs and dont drink , so i am good as for as that

the way you explained the dorms made it sound like it would be cramped space to live in , so idk if thats a plus side on my end

but it seems as if the people are great to hang out with and can surely find ways to past the time which is awsome

i am considering coming up to the open house in april ( the rep said its like only 40 bucks for a round trip flight )

how is the tution there, is it reasonable ? considering your getting the "best "

what would you think about my second alternative ?

thanks guys !

Comment

Go to UTI since you live in Fl.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

"best" in a general statement is subjective. Look at enough schools and they will all tell you the same thing. If Florida has a good program, in the end you'll walk out with less debt. Leave the rest to real-world experience man. IMO it would not be worth it, more expenses involved and that not even directly related to the school, think about travel expenses and how often.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

hey dude, it's roughly $1300 a session here. A session is 6 weeks long, and that number does not include the price to stay in the dorms. If you have a good group of roommates, living really isn't too bad, but of course it's always nicer to have your own crib.

Education is education, and like Cisco said, the best way to learn is real world experiences.. tinker on your own car. I do not however recommend UTI. A friend of mine is attending their New England branch, and it seems like the material covered is very limited.

If I were you, I would come out in April and poke around as much as you can to get a feel for the area. When I first came to UNOH fresh out of high school, I was very distraught being so far away from my family and friends; looking back now, I don't think I could have made a better decision. The real question, is how badly you want the education, and to stand on your own two feet.

Mom and dad can't cook your dinner and do your laundry anymore and they cannot put a band aid on your boo boo's. It's the real world out here and you will do a lot of growing up very fast. Like I said before though, you won't be alone. The kids you meet in your classes as well as the Ohio crew will take you under their wing and we all learn to lean on each other.

Andy, cb7lx91, had his appendix removed his first week out here. He woke up in the morning violently throwing up and thought it would be best to see a doctor. I assured him that he probably just had a stomach bug, but a respected his wishes and took him to the walk in.... then to the emergency room because they found that his appendix ruptured

feel free to ask anymore questions.

Comment

[QUOTE=ExCoupe92;1903859]The kids you meet in your classes as well as the Ohio crew will take you under their wing and we all learn to lean on each other.QUOTE]

lol, do you really think it's a good thing to have us take you under our wing? LMAO!!!! I have video involving a paddle boat and fireworks that might make you think again!

Comment

haha it was all in good fun. I actually have a picture that I snapped of you to show off to Andy that I was hanging with Visualpoet. Remember when you snuck up behind me naked? Yeah, then.

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoupe92 View Post
                      haha it was all in good fun. I actually have a picture that I snapped of you to show off to Andy that I was hanging with Visualpoet. Remember when you snuck up behind me naked? Yeah, then.
                      lol, yeah, I told you if you kept waving that girly little ass around someone would take a poke at it!

You can't act like you didn't like it either!

Seriously? You wanted to prove you hung out with me? Wow, you must need some friends pretty bad.

Comment

i have a friend who goes there

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                          lol, yeah, I told you if you kept waving that girly little ass around someone would take a poke at it!

You can't act like you didn't like it either!

Seriously? You wanted to prove you hung out with me? Wow, you must need some friends pretty bad.
                          haha nahh, Andy was just jealous that I was at a car meet and you were one of the only ones who had a username that he would recognize.. you're not that special

Originally posted by DrSzSoLDIeR View Post
                          i have a friend who goes there
                          who

Comment

do any of you UNOH students know the kids who down here in florida at the " alltel Dirtcar Nationals, by UNOH at the Volusia speedway park

Volusiaspeedwaypark.com

its only 40 min away from me and i might go, the Reperesentaive said i could he could get me tickets,

i wanna talk to them in the pits

Comment

I have never heard about that, then again, I don't follow much of UNOH's events. But check it out, can't hurt to meet more people and learn more things about the school.

What would you be going for? High performance, or automotive, or both?

There are also degree/associate/bachelor programs to factor into your decision.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Working...
                              X