Looking for a dash cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a dash cam

Been looking for a dash cam. I'd like to get something less than $300. It'd be awesome if there was a dashcam/gps navigation system all in one but I don't think they exist.

Any suggestions?
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

This is more of a budget camera, but I've heard nothing but good reviews about the G1W series of cameras.

https://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

Comment

I went through a few cheapie cameras for work. I had the best luck with the first one I got, but never managed to find a replacement for it after it broke (the mount broke... camera still worked.) If I can find it, I'll let you know whatever info I can. I don't recall the brand, and I don't believe it says so on the unit.

If you're looking to spend a couple hundred bucks, I'd suggest picking up a used GoPro, unless you're afraid of it getting stolen. They're probably the most widely supported and most positively reviewed... but I'd imagine they'd be fairly attractive to thieves if you intend to leave it mounted at all times (as I did with my cameras.) If that's the case, I'd probably go with the one AW posted. The super cheap ones are always a risk (and the possibility of getting a knockoff of an already fairly low quality Chinese camera is significant) but for $40 or less, it's worth a shot! The low price was always worth the risk for me.

Comment

I was thinking about trying this one out:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...0001-_-Product
        My Car

Comment

Looks pretty fancy. Most reviews (few as they may be) seem to be pretty positive. The worst review seems to be due to the seller sending a broken/used unit, rather than a beef with the product itself. Could be worth a shot.

I'd still recommend a GoPro, based on their reputation. Not as many features for the money, but I'd expect it to be a much better product. Kinda like buying a base Honda over a loaded Kia. The Kia has all the bells and whistles, but the Honda will better perform the most important functions. The only downside is that the Honda is more likely to get stolen than the Kia.

Comment

I use a Gopro for a helmet cam on my bike. You can see video quality samples here (day time and night time) my channel

I have a hero 3+ silver. All my videos are shot at 720p 60fps I believe. You can always paint the case to conceal it a little better. When I used a clear case everyone could see it, even people 2 or 3 cars up in traffic. Now that I've switched to a black case, it takes most people a good little while to notice it.

I have around $300 in my setup. Including the camera, extra black case, 3 batteries and mount.
            Last edited by bassrock234; 03-14-2016, 03:35 PM.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

I've been reading up a lot myself. If you're just looking for a single camera setup, there are a few nice ones right around $100 that have a buffered parking mode with internal GPS. If anything happens the GPS will back you up in court. I've found a lot of helpful reviews and comparisons on http://dashboardcamerareviews.com. I've had people suggest the go-pro but I want something that had a few more features and is not as much of a risk leaving in the car permanently.

Comment

I've always wanted one of these too. Watching stupid Russia dash cam videos I would sometimes see the model of the camera listed as a watermark look into the details on it. But from what I understand they all store the video onboard or in a SDCard right? How long do they record for? What happens when you fill the card? I know some record for 4-6 hours and then start over type of thing.

Comment

The falcon zero I posted has loops. 3, 5, and 10 minute loops. In the event of a heavy shock it'll lock the loop so it can't be overwritten. It also has GPS and shock sensor so if it's parked and gets bumped it'll start recording.

32gb will give you a fair amount of time. One issue with it that I read was that the shock sensor was overly sensitive so it was locking too many loops too often. Guess it's better to do that than not be sensitive enough. Still, at that rate the review said it'd take about a month before it was full and had to be cleared.

I was planning on using it in my car as well as in the truck for work. Our trucks should have these cameras... but they don't.

If I can capture something that helps someone or records a damn meteor again or something, it'll be worth it. Never know when you can strike youtube gold. :P
                  My Car

Comment

With a 32gig card I get about 4 hours of video. You can set it to lock clips in or overwrite once your space runs out.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

I've read all of the descriptions. I was just thinking if you are using a camera for a whole day (ie - going to a car show), then you may be missing video from the start of the day. And if you have too many locked files then you have no room left to record more video. So it becomes a chore to take the card out after each use and remove the video files or simply remove it when you see bad stuff on your car.

Too bad someone doesn't make one that holds 2GB , etc. And wow.... some of these units are $800.

Comment

Some of the newest cameras support 128G cards. Also keep in mind the thermal operating ranges. If you live in a hot or cold area the camera will shut off at certain extremes.

Comment

I used a 32gb card in all of my cheap $30-$50 Chinese cameras. Gave me over a day's worth of recording, though the quality wasn't good enough to make out license plates unless you were really close. When those cameras filled the card, they automatically erased the card and started over. I kept a spare card in the car just in case I recorded something that I didn't want to risk overwriting.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            I used a 32gb card in all of my cheap $30-$50 Chinese cameras. Gave me over a day's worth of recording, though the quality wasn't good enough to make out license plates unless you were really close. When those cameras filled the card, they automatically erased the card and started over. I kept a spare card in the car just in case I recorded something that I didn't want to risk overwriting.
                            Sooo how did you know if the card was almost full? Were you doing continuous recording and knew around the 8 hour mark to change the card?

Comment

No, I never knew when it was going to overwrite... which was scary (and the reason for the backup card!) But I brought it inside after a LONG day on the road, where it was recording the entire time on a fresh card, and I had the entire day recorded with room to spare.

Comment

Working...
                              X