Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, lights work intermittently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, lights work intermittently

Ok so as y’all know I did the retrofit to my headlights a couple months ago and recently I am having an issue where when I turn the lights on either one will come on and not the other or both won’t come on. I am getting power from the car harness to the relay, from the relay to both ballasts , yet the ballasts don’t turn on or hum. It works 90% of the time if I unplug the ballast and replug it in. But I don’t want to keep doing this.

I talked with The retrofit source about it and we both thought it might be the relay. So they sent me out a new one and the the issue still exists. I am clueless right now as the issue is never consistent.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Only time I seen this was with cheap relays. Obviously you're getting 12V to the relay ?

Comment

Yes it’s morimoto HD relay. Which I’ve already replaced through their warranty. So it wasn’t the relay.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        Yes it’s morimoto HD relay. Which I’ve already replaced through their warranty. So it wasn’t the relay.
        And the 12V ...........?

Comment

Oh sorry yes I am getting 12v to the relay from oem harness and from the relay to the ballast. I just haven’t figured out how to check from the ballast to igniters and igniters to bulbs yet.
          ~Nick~

Comment

Is this the XB35 ballast? Is the ground side ok?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I've seen in in the past but was always the same story. Had 12V on both sides, but the ballast would power up different speeds or not power up on one side. Also related to any other accessories putting a drain on the car / system. But mainly was cheap ballasts powering the bulbs.

If you swap ballasts (R / L) does the issue happen on the other side?

Comment

my relay harness got full of water and corroded it to pieces.
                COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                  my relay harness got full of water and corroded it to pieces.
                  The accord hasn’t seen rain since I’ve done the retrofit and it doesn’t see rain unless it appears out of no where. It is garage kept and only driven on sunny weekends.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  Is this the XB35 ballast? Is the ground side ok?
                  Yes these are XB35. As for the ground to the relay I literally took a flapper wheel to get bare metal in the area where the battery normally sits. So it’s the best I can do minus running it all the way back to the battery in the trunk.
                  Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  I've seen in in the past but was always the same story. Had 12V on both sides, but the ballast would power up different speeds or not power up on one side. Also related to any other accessories putting a drain on the car / system. But mainly was cheap ballasts powering the bulbs.

If you swap ballasts (R / L) does the issue happen on the other side?
                  I haven’t tried that yet since I’ve gotten the new relay. But that is my next step. I don’t believe morimoto is considered cheap but I can be wrong. I may ask for a refund and switch to LEDs and get rid of the ballast and igniters all together.
                  Last edited by Grumpys93; 01-03-2020, 10:44 PM.
                  ~Nick~

Comment

What's the relay for?
                    & have you tried this with one ballast totally unplugged? I mean if you unplug the left side does the right side have any issues at all?

Comment

To be honest I don’t know. My old cheap Chinese ones don’t require a relay. I’m guessing to add a fail safe feature maybe. It’s the HD relay 9006. You can look it up on their website. I’ll swap the ballast tomorrow and see what happens. When the passenger side worked and I unplugged the driver side and replugged it in nothing happen to both. Passenger remained on and driver side never came on. I haven’t tried doing it with the working one yet. I’ll dig deep into this issue tomorrow when my daughter takes a nap.
                      ~Nick~

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                        To be honest I don’t know. My old cheap Chinese ones don’t require a relay. I’m guessing to add a fail safe feature maybe........
                        Think you found your problem. I don't run a relay, never have. And running all hidretrofit stuff.

Comment

I would however, the ballasts don’t come with the correct plug. So I would have to splice together the two plugs to make it work. I will troubleshoot a little more before I start making my own products. I just don’t see why I’m the only one dealing with this issue if the relay is at fault. If the relay wasn’t working correctly, shouldn’t I not see any voltage at the ballast?
                          ~Nick~

Comment

You are seeing intermittent connectivity / voltage. Faulty or poorly working relays would do this. It's the only component in the system that works in this manner. But I'm confused why this is not plug and play. Why did you order ballast that don't take the 9005/9006 plug.

Example:

Comment

It wasn’t offered at theretrofitsource and I’ve known plenty of people who went through them. So I wasn’t expecting any problems. I honestly think it has to be a ballast. I was reading up on those XB35 ballast and if they sense any fault they won’t send power to bulb. Maybe one of the ballast is faulty. Right now they are both working. So once one fails again I’ll swap them.
                              ~Nick~

Comment

Working...
                              X