What do you hate about your car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you hate about your car?

Maybe there's already a thread about this but I haven't seen it so here's the question:

What is one thing that you hate about the CB Accord? Not necessarily your personal CB but about the car in general.

I've got to go with the cup holders and the placement of the stereo. My factory head unit was stolen from the car before I had it so I bought the cheapest Pioneer unit with an aux input and it has worked fine... EXCEPT when I put a cup in the cup holder. The rim of most cups from fast food places is right in line with the buttons on the stereo so as I drive the cup changes channels and messes up my audio settings. The cup holder itself is terrible anyway so I usually just make sure the lid is on tight and drive with the drink between my legs.

I hate the way they rust.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post

This!

I also hate the way the interior door handles crack and break if you (or most likely your passengers) pull on them too hard.
      Originally posted by deevergote.
      And please, for the love of God, type like a human being!

Comment

This. I could have easily had the H22 swap if I didn't need to do the rust repair.
        Last edited by AccordWarrior; 12-10-2017, 12:25 AM.

Comment

that nobody cared enough about it to produce a toy diecast or model

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by rustyaccord View Post
            I've got to go with the cup holders and the placement of the stereo. My factory head unit was stolen from the car before I had it so I bought the cheapest Pioneer unit with an aux input and it has worked fine... EXCEPT when I put a cup in the cup holder. The rim of most cups from fast food places is right in line with the buttons on the stereo so as I drive the cup changes channels and messes up my audio settings. The cup holder itself is terrible anyway so I usually just make sure the lid is on tight and drive with the drink between my legs.
            This is actually a good part of what I was going to say.

I'll say this up front....I have a 5th Gen CD7 Accord. But having good friends with CBs and getting to see the changes they made between models has given me a good perspective. Suspension design and motor/trans choices is negligible between both generations, and I'll forgo the exterior styling. So here we go....don't crucify me

__________________________________________________ __

The part I hate most about the CB chassis is the interior. In short, its a very dated design and even though the car is a 90s car, the interior still has a very 80s feel to it, and wasn't a substantial step up from the 3rd Generation Accord.

First, the interior color choices.....burgundy, blue, etc.....they all remind me of the 80s Cadillacs and Buicks my grandparents owned. Not to mention when colors like that fade, they look terrible. Then you got the lower door panels with carpet on them.....another old trend lol. And the upper door inserts, they are HUGE, and you know after all these years, the glue holding them starts to fail, and they start sagging/bubbling/peeling. The black '90 DX interior was the saving grace for the model....too bad it wasn't available in more trims. Also, the interiors were a single color....which was kind of an overload in the burgundy especially.

Then the dash....its still got that flat top design with "shelves" or whetever you want to call them to hold stuff....works in theory, not so much in practice as they are too shallow to hold a lot of stuff. And, honestly it disrupts the design of the dash and looks bleh.

Moving down to the center console....its got that old school vertical look. Climate controls, radio, then it just stops and drops down to the cup holders. Which are terrible. Thank god Honda updated the design for the CD Accord to sit in the center console...funny though, the 5th Generation Civic still used this same design as the CB, but for the 6th it was arguably even worse as the drinks sat UNDER the upper console and with straws would not fit unless it was a 16oz or smaller cup.

The console after the cupholders isn't really even a console...its more like a cover for the shifter base and e-brake handle. And then there is no permanent center arm rest/storage area (minus the wagon one I believe).

Call me biased if you want, but with the CD Accord Honda fixed 95% of the issues the CB had....
            The dash is smooth and flows very nicely. The interior colors switch to a 2-tone design that did wonders in breaking up the color overload of the CB interiors. The door panel inserts are much smaller in the CD, and at least in coupes are actually separate screw-in pieces that make it a breeze to remove and re-wrap easily. For the climate/radio controls, Honda kept very similar style switchgear, it was just packaged so much cleaner. The climate controls are mounted on the upper dash surrounded by a bezel that smoothly flows over to the gauge cluster. The radio, fog and emergency light switches are encased in a similar bezel that extends down to the shifter opening. The center console blends smoothly from the dash all the way back past the shifter, to the center mounted cupholders, which had a spring loaded lid you could close and hide. It finished with a permanent center armrest, with a flip up lid to reveal a substantial secondary storage area. The only gripe I really have is the cupholder, both slots sit the same level, meaning having 2 drinks of the same size in there can be a bit of a challenge, especially if they are 32oz or larger. Honda fixed this with the 6th Gen, which has a staggered height cupholder setup.

Anyways, sorry if this came off long winded...this is just my biggest dislike about the car. I feel Honda didn't really push the the boundaries of the interior like they should have....but I can see why they didn't, and instead focused more on the chassis, suspension, and powerplant, which as we have seen over time remain solid, dependable, and very fun to drive.....AND become a great basis to design the 5th Gen chassis around.

Originally posted by 91 EX-R View Post
            This! I also hate the way the interior door handles crack and break if you (or most likely your passengers) pull on them too hard.
            Sadly, this is one thing that Honda did not improve in the 5th Gen....or any of the 90s Hondas in general....the Preludes suffer from the exact same thing too.
            Last edited by Corweena; 12-10-2017, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Me gusta.

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
              This is actually a good part of what I was going to say.

I'll say this up front....I have a 5th Gen CD7 Accord. But having good friends with CBs and getting to see the changes they made between models has given me a good perspective. Suspension design and motor/trans choices is negligible between both generations, and I'll forgo the exterior styling. So here we go....don't crucify me

__________________________________________________ __

The part I hate most about the CB chassis is the interior. In short, its a very dated design and even though the car is a 90s car, the interior still has a very 80s feel to it, and wasn't a substantial step up from the 3rd Generation Accord.

First, the interior color choices.....burgundy, blue, etc.....they all remind me of the 80s Cadillacs and Buicks my grandparents owned. Not to mention when colors like that fade, they look terrible. Then you got the lower door panels with carpet on them.....another old trend lol. And the upper door inserts, they are HUGE, and you know after all these years, the glue holding them starts to fail, and they start sagging/bubbling/peeling. The black '90 DX interior was the saving grace for the model....too bad it wasn't available in more trims. Also, the interiors were a single color....which was kind of an overload in the burgundy especially.

Then the dash....its still got that flat top design with "shelves" or whetever you want to call them to hold stuff....works in theory, not so much in practice as they are too shallow to hold a lot of stuff. And, honestly it disrupts the design of the dash and looks bleh.

Moving down to the center console....its got that old school vertical look. Climate controls, radio, then it just stops and drops down to the cup holders. Which are terrible. Thank god Honda updated the design for the CD Accord to sit in the center console...funny though, the 5th Generation Civic still used this same design as the CB, but for the 6th it was arguably even worse as the drinks sat UNDER the upper console and with straws would not fit unless it was a 16oz or smaller cup.

The console after the cupholders isn't really even a console...its more like a cover for the shifter base and e-brake handle. And then there is no permanent center arm rest/storage area (minus the wagon one I believe).

Call me biased if you want, but with the CD Accord Honda fixed 95% of the issues the CB had....
              The dash is smooth and flows very nicely. The interior colors switch to a 2-tone design that did wonders in breaking up the color overload of the CB interiors. The door panel inserts are much smaller in the CD, and at least in coupes are actually separate screw-in pieces that make it a breeze to remove and re-wrap easily. For the climate/radio controls, Honda kept very similar style switchgear, it was just packaged so much cleaner. The climate controls are mounted on the upper dash surrounded by a bezel that smoothly flows over to the gauge cluster. The radio, fog and emergency light switches are encased in a similar bezel that extends down to the shifter opening. The center console blends smoothly from the dash all the way back past the shifter, to the center mounted cupholders, which had a spring loaded lid you could close and hide. It finished with a permanent center armrest, with a flip up lid to reveal a substantial secondary storage area. The only gripe I really have is the cupholder, both slots sit the same level, meaning having 2 drinks of the same size in there can be a bit of a challenge, especially if they are 32oz or larger. Honda fixed this with the 6th Gen, which has a staggered height cupholder setup.

Anyways, sorry if this came off long winded...this is just my biggest dislike about the car. I feel Honda didn't really push the the boundaries of the interior like they should have....but I can see why they didn't, and instead focused more on the chassis, suspension, and powerplant, which as we have seen over time remain solid, dependable, and very fun to drive.....AND become a great basis to design the 5th Gen chassis around.

Sadly, this is one thing that Honda did not improve in the 5th Gen....or any of the 90s Hondas in general....the Preludes suffer from the exact same thing too.
              95 Accord Wagon
              95 Integra GSR

Comment

I actually don’t mind the interior too much and I have the loudest of them all. The burgundy color. I feel this flows with the boxy design of the cb which is one of the things I love about it. The cup holders are a problem.

I wish on the coupe, instead of little storage compartments in the back they made them cup holders.

I do hate there isn’t much aftermarket support for the accord community in general, yet civic owners are now swapping accord motors into their cars and getting glory for it. (J30 and (k24). And I’m willing to be the new 2.0L from the accord as it will be marketed for cheaper than the type r.
                Last edited by Grumpys93; 12-10-2017, 11:48 AM.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I can't quite label my list (some of which is shared by others in this thread) as hate but more disappointment.

1. Not being a popular enough chassis to have models and other toy/hobbie support. I for one would like to build a CB7 model.

2. It's now 25+ years old. Although it wasn't always it is these days which means finding new oem replacement parts is getting harder if not impossible and some optional parts are extremely rare to find in good condition or for reasonable prices.

3. The boxy design. I love the aesthetics of the car but from a functional standpoint I know that the squared back and roofline contributes to a good bit of drag and this means no matter what I'll burn more gas while making long drives. This is a minor point for me seeing as I drive mainly in town and the looks of the car are what hold my attention.

Comment

Blame snow and salt on northern states for this, not the car
                    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'm with Grumpy, I don't mind the interior, then again I like my brown and tan interior.

My actual complaint about the CB chassis would be the trim and rain channels that catch and hold water like a SOB.

I have a few more but they are quite nit-picky.
                      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                        Blame snow and salt on northern states for this, not the car
                        Eh, if the quarters were designed differently they wouldn't rust out nearly as fast

Comment

I hate how I can't drive it in the winter because I put a Skunk2 IM and 70mm throttle body on without a Fast Idle valve. So I either get the super bouncy idle or if I adjust the screw low enough to be functional when warm, the car dies and stalls anytime its slightly colder than operating temp.

My car doesn't like the cold whatsoever...which is why its in storage since I moved to MI from today probably through April.

I also didn't want my perfect rust free AZ car being subjected to the shitty salted roads here in MI so i'm protecting it at all costs.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                            I also didn't want my perfect rust free AZ car being subjected to the shitty salted roads here in MI so i'm protecting it at all costs.
                            pro tip from an upstate New Yorker, for all my rust-concerned friends: FluidFilm

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                              pro tip from an upstate New Yorker, for all my rust-concerned friends: FluidFilm
                              LOL Mike if ur going to coat your car with this stuff you may as well use Cosmoline like they did on all those Army surplus Jeep's they used to sell in the 60s

BTW, count me in for the under performing sun visors they're too short, too thin, cheaply constructed and like most old guys won't stay up...

Also the lack of steering wheel controls especially on the SE. Even my '89SE-i had this so the tech was definitely there by '93.

Ditto for most everything else mentioned...
                              My Collection:
                              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Working...
                              X