Dwhacks : 1992 Accord DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dwhacks : 1992 Accord DX

Well I guess it's time to share my work in progress. Here is my 92 Accord project car!

At my first drag race, 1/8mile

Engine bay as of Dec 31, 2015

Girlfriend driving while I CROME

Here's the story for those not following my Beginners sections posts:
    My Brother has had his 92 accord ex (canadian, so f22a1) for about 9-10 years and he's been pretty good to it maintenance wise, although he did drive it like he stole it. Its been parked as his "spare" car for around a year now because he has a Bugeye WRX and an Audi A4. Early spring 2015 we were chatting one day and he said "there's no point in selling it, I need to find someone who will appreciate it" so I told him "let me build a race car!".....

And that's when I hit google and found this wonderful forum.

So previous to me taking over the project it has:
    • Lowered (Mysterious lowering springs)
    • Ram air
    • eBay header
    • 2 1/2" exhaust
    • A/C delete
    • 30,000k transmission (he dropped the old ones gears on the street)
    • Axles changed same time as tranny
    • eBay front and rear UCA Camber

My hopes are around 200hp one day, but no rush getting there. I'm starting with the top end and moving to the bottom end over 2016.

Now:

ENGINE
    • 3" ram air
    • 68mm throttle body
    • Port matched and cleaned up H23 intake manifold
    • Cleaned and polished head with lapped valves
    • Delta 272 Regrind
    • New eBay header, wrapped
    • Custom Painted valve cover
    • Cruise DELETE
    • P06 ECU with IAB circuit, 5v O2 sensor mod, Moates Ostrich2
    • DSM Blue Top 450cc injectors
    • Marshall fuel pressure gauge

EXTERIOR
    • Fiberglass ghetto trunk hole repair
    • LOUD horns (Sickspeed)
    • 2x 6LED "fog lights"
    • 17x7 Core Racing wheels (discontinued model)
    • Falken Ziex ZE912 215/40ZR17
    • Nitto NT555r 245/50r16 on Street Gear Black Widows (Front Drag radials)

INTERIOR
    • Fully gutted
    • Back seat delete
    • Custom Wood gauge panel and amplifier (diy)
    • Ignition switches and push button start
    • Neo chrome shift nob
    • Cheddas Auto Single Bend short shifter and bushings kit
    • Wideband, Oil temp, Oil Pressure, and Vacuum gauges

And last, here is my new engine to build my FrankenBuild

F23A1 from a 2002 Accord with 170,000km on it. Going to put my top end on it a la jdm92_accorn style.

Last edited by dwhacks; 07-07-2017, 12:17 AM. Reason: Updates
    Bought from: Night Wolf, bassrock234, sonikaccord, 904drACCORDMANG

92 Accord, F23a franken-engine, N/A forever.

Almost forgot this walk around gem.

Youtube Link
    Last edited by dwhacks; 03-11-2016, 11:13 PM. Reason: I can't get embedded youtube to work.

Comment

That valve cover is awesome! It's fantastic to see new blood in the members rides section.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
        That valve cover is awesome! It's fantastic to see new blood in the members rides section.
        Thanks! The valve cover turned out great.

I love this forum, figured about time I made a worthy thread.

Comment

Shortblock ready!

Well, My f23a shortblock is basically all ready! I just need to borrow an engine hoist and I'm ready to start this franken-swap!

Last edited by dwhacks; 05-11-2017, 10:09 PM. Reason: Needs https

Comment

Very nice work. I like the valve cover. Good luck with the franken build.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by dwhacks View Post
              Well, My f23a shortblock is basically all ready! I just need to borrow an engine hoist and I'm ready to start this franken-swap!

It's a little hard to tell from this pic, but are your pistons flat or maybe even slightly dished?
              Last edited by Tishock; 01-12-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
                It's a little hard to tell from this pic, but are your pistons flat or maybe even slightly dished?
                They are slightly dished. They should be stock as far as I know.

Comment

This is what the pistons in my JDM F23A look like. Thats why I asked. I believe the F23 came in either 8.8:1 or 9.3:1 compression ratios. I assume the ones in your block are the 8.8:1 pistons.

Last edited by Tishock; 01-16-2016, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Looks like you have a great foundation to build upon! Keep us up on the build!
                    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
                      This is what the pistons in my JDM F23A look like. Thats why I asked. I believe the F23 came in either 8.8:1 or 9.3:1 compression ratios. I assume the ones in your block are the 8.8:1 pistons.
                      Wow, those sure are different. Mine is the USDM version. I knew the F22a had a higher compression in the JDM version, but I didn't know about the F23a, interesting.

Comment

Well I started the swap today. I started by removing the head and parts that needed to be swapped over while the engine was still in the car. Now whats left is to transfer over the wiring, pull the old engine and drop frankenstein in.

Hoping to finish it tomorrow as I've got to give make the hoist Monday!
                        Last edited by dwhacks; 05-11-2017, 10:10 PM. Reason: https all the pictures!

Comment

Got'er all buttoned up monday night after work! Shes running and working as expected. I used the alternator bracket from the F22a because the F23a one didnt fit with the power steering. I will delete the power steering and when I do I can use the f23a bracket which has a place to mount the dip stick. For now its kinda wedged in there.

This was my first engine swap and wow was it intense! I am sore all over from wrenching, but everything worked out and so far no leaks!

No I just need to figure out how to tune with a Crome Gold rom. I was using the free version before and the gold roms are quite different. Anyone with any knowledge is welcome to chime in.

Comment

Welcome to the brotherhood of engine swaps! Good luck with the tuning! Wish I could help you out, but I've got no experience in that aspect yet... yet.
                            1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Well a few questions here. Does anyone know the compression ratio of the USDM f23a forsure? Is it 8.8:1? if thats the case then It seems I didnt gain any compression with my franken engine so I will probably need to re-think things.

Next, does anyone have experience with DOT drag tires? I want to stay with DOT tires so I can still compete in sportsman bracket at my local track. I was looking at the Mickey thompson Street radials, and don't really know what size or if its even a smart option. I don't mind swapping tires at the track so they don't have to be "daily drive-able". Any input would be helpful!

Comment

Working...
                              X