Re-Use Head Bolts and Gasket for Quick Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-Use Head Bolts and Gasket for Quick Test

Im about to finish removing the head from my parts/project car. The camshaft snapped and ruined the head. I have another head that is ready to be installed. I am a total cheap a** and want to see how bad of an idea it is to reuse the head gasket and head bolts for just a quick test to make sure the bottom end is ok and that the manual transmission works fine. Can I reuse the head gasket and bolts for a quick 30-45 second run? I am aware both are one time use only, but can I do this quick test without risk of catastrophic failure?
    Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

The head bolts can be reused. I have reused the head bolts once or twice with no issues. I don't see it being an issue for a quick test to reuse the head gasket.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

When reusing the head bolts, should I do it to speck or a little further?
      Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

Comment

To spec should be fine, you can go an extra 10 degrees if it makes you feel comfortable. Remember, the bolts are steel and the block is aluminum.
        Hey yo uhhhhhh fry man!!!!

Comment

If you're only going to run it for 30 seconds it is worth a try. I don't think I'd try to put coolant in it with used gasket. In that amount of time, it shouldn't heat up enough without coolant to be an issue.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
          X