No announcement yet.

I am bowing out of racing CB7s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mini coopers are pretty sweet, and if someones letting you drive it thats even better. if i had one id probably put a honda motor in it.lol. but hey, if you decide o grab another car to build for yourself, the crx or civic si sounds like it would be a great choice. keep up the great work gary, youve got some mad skillz if you can nab 3rd in an autocross event with a cb, and a sedan at that!

Soon to have the first *Bottle Fed Accord* in MI!

Vouch For: fatboy1185

Comment

Gary, I was sad to see this thread. However, after reading your very detailed and well written first post, who can argue. Very good reasons and very well thought out.

Good luck to you in the future. I've reverted my DD cb7 back to stock-like as well.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post

Oh and the car is:
        '07 Mini Cooper S.
        hell yeah those are sweet
        FROM L.A. TO KILL TOWN BABY

Comment

Originally posted by FAMOUS T.R.K. View Post
          hell yeah those are sweet
          coopers aint bad. id like to dodge a few shopping carts with one of those. lol.

Soon to have the first *Bottle Fed Accord* in MI!

Vouch For: fatboy1185

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            The CB is an awesome street car. It's not fantastic at anything, but it's very good at just about everything. When you look at luxury, economy, reliability, performance, cost of ownership, resale value, appearance (opinion there, obviously...), aftermarket support...
            It's not spectacular in any of these categories... but it has a nice mix of all of them. Of course, trying to push a CB beyond those limitations, you can only go so far before it becomes difficult.
            That is exactly the conclusion I have come to with the CB7. It is like trying to loosen a nut with a pair of vice grips; you can get the nut off eventually, but if you would have started with a 6-point socket it would have been much easier.
            Originally posted by Pazzword JDM View Post
            mini coopers are pretty sweet, and if someones letting you drive it thats even better. if i had one id probably put a honda motor in it.lol. but hey, if you decide o grab another car to build for yourself, the crx or civic si sounds like it would be a great choice. keep up the great work gary, youve got some mad skillz if you can nab 3rd in an autocross event with a cb, and a sedan at that!
            I would not put a Honda motor in it. The direct-injected-turbocharged BMW motor is quite refined and well-tuned.
            I have learned one thing about driving the Cooper; you have to drive it completely different than driving my CB.
            In the CB the name of the game is momentum because the low end grunt is just not there, not at least with stock tranny and stock sized tires. So staying off the brakes is most desirable. However, when you do get on the brakes, lack of ABS makes it impossible to just stomp on the pedal. You have to slowly, but quickly at the same time increase the pressure on the pedal until you feel a wheel start to lock, then let off a tad. That is maximum braking.
            Driving the Mini is totally different. It is smaller, lighter (I think) and has a lot more power. It also has a much better geared transmission. Combine the good low end you do not have to carry as much speed into corners, and you can actually attain a higher speed at any point than the CB7. This necessitates more brake use. The Mini has a very good ABS system. Jump right on that pedal and you will slow down with no lockup, but it is possible. Last time I drove the Mini I started out driving it like I would my car. That made me like 3 seconds slower than the owner. Once I employed the proper technique my time was only .3 seconds slower than the owner.
            Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
            Gary, I was sad to see this thread. However, after reading your very detailed and well written first post, who can argue. Very good reasons and very well thought out.

Good luck to you in the future. I've reverted my DD cb7 back to stock-like as well.
            Thanks Cisco. I don't have anything really against the CB7. Just besides the fact that where I am it is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

sick man i have only auto x'd my 05 mazda 6. it was fun as shit. maybe you'll hit the lotto and can buy a new dd and give the cb another chance at racing glory. i hope when im done putting it back together i wanna hit up the road racing trackday out here

Ride List
              1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
              2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
              newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                ^wow George you sure are mean to yourself...
                Damnit

But I hear you Gary, the CB chassis isn't one that you can just do a little with and expect to blow people out of the water. I'm sure a full build would be perfectly capable but it's hard to justify that given the age and daily driver status of the car.

Good luck in the Mini! Try and get some vids if at all possible.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

i already knew this about the cb chassis from daily driving both a DA integra and my own CB. my plans for the CB is just a gangster ride that can fit rear passengers comfortably. it's pretty damn comfortable in the back especially for road trips. drop it low and add some go!

edit: and it's no VIP either haha, just a mean old honda rolling down the streets. no need to give up entirely, just change the game on it.

Be Clean

Comment

What?! I just saw this thread!!! You should make a best of G-man and his cb7.
                    I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                    Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    My coupe!!!
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                    Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Get a Miata
                      wat?

Comment

That sucks man...

The CB is def outclassed by those cars, but I think it's a competent chassis in its own right. Small enough to not feel ridiculous tossing around, but def heavy enough WRT to its stock motor to be a primarily momentum driven machine. That's not necessarily a bad thing though... a mildly modded CB is just fast enough to be fun while staying out of trouble, and conspicuous enough to not be a cop magnet. Outside the context of competition, like Deev said, they're pretty good cars as far as what you get and what you can do to them.

But your reasoning is sound. Plus I'm sure you just want a new car which in itself isn't wrong. Hopefully you don't leave the site though. Best of luck man.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

ever thought about switching to Comp tires?

pretty sure it would just bump you into FSP class. ive noticed any where from 2-4 seconds quicker in times.

i know how it is racing a daily, this winter i hope to put to coupe on jacks and try to purchase another vehicle, so i can work on the CB7 for next season. BUT its not looking that way.

best of luck with everything for ya.

ps, ive beat a couple Mini's in my cb7
                          93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

not a bad idea dropping the CB. they just dont belong in this type of racing. a cooper will do well.
                            R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

They should start a class for cars in the G20/CB7/Contour/Passat size bracket. Like a JGTC class, 2000-2500cc. That would be interesting.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                                They should start a class for cars in the G20/CB7/Contour/Passat size bracket. Like a JGTC class, 2000-2500cc. That would be interesting.
                                ooooo. I had a SR20DET swapped G20. Man does that bring back memories.
                                R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Working...
                                X