CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner "Off Topic"

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Our automatics are not very performance oriented. They also don't like abuse... so neutral drops WILL kill it fairly quickly. If it has held up for 2 years, then you probably had one of the rare transmissions that was properly cared for, and actually had quite a bit of life left (most experience problems by 150k due to improper maintenance). Good job. You trashed a rare good transmission. Chances are, you have about 6 more months of your current use of it, at best... before a neutral drop causes the inside of the transmission to grenade.

Most performance cars today have automatics (such as the new Lexus IS-F), or automated manuals (Ferrari, Porsche, Nissan GT-R).
The thing is, most automatics aren't made for performance. A regular car such as the Accord is not designed with the racer in mind. A manual transmission can be used either way, because you have control of the shift points (the only non-performance oriented thing there is the gearing). An automatic can only do what the factory intended, until you mess with the internals and electronic shift points.

When you want to launch your car, do it with one foot on the brake, with the car in D4. Do not drop it from neutral. Do not shift it manually. You will have the best results this way.
As for the RPM, you'll need to figure that out on your own. The surface you are launching on is a factor. Drag strips have "sticky" launch areas, whereas you'll spin more easily on the street. You want to launch at the highest RPM you can without wheelspin. (keep in mind, even this is hard on the transmission). Your tires will determine how high you can rev. "Regular tires" and "regular tire pressure" mean nothing. Learn about tires. Learn what compound your tires are. I've found that optimum tire pressure for a launch with a standard tire size is about 28psi (the normal pressure is about 32psi). You don't want to let too much air out with a radial tire, because the contact patch will buckle, and you'll be getting traction on your sidewalls... which means you won't be getting traction!

Do yourself a favor. If you're going to continue abusing your automatic transmission, replace the fluid with Red Line synthetic fluid, and add another transmission fluid cooler.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
jmolina
CB7tuner Member

jmolina is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to jmolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
Then why do Drag race cars use autos?
Because an auto changes gear faster than a human, thats why.

The reason autos are usually slower than 5 speed is exactly that - most autos are 4 speed.
my auto gears are really long, especially 3rd...hmmm too long

view my ride: My Ride
Old 04-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #23
WhiteGhost
CB7tuner Member

WhiteGhost is cool... so far.
Spinning tires is not fast and netural dropping it is not good and I can't belive anyone with any sense thinks this is OK...LOL.....Wow...I wish I see one of my friends do this so I could slap um
Old 04-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #24
drummersteve7
Boost Junkie Rehab!

drummersteve7 seems to have made some friends!
those autos are mostly muscle cars. the word of the day is torque there.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #25
RUGER 2.2L
Contributing Member

RUGER 2.2L is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGhost View Post
Spinning tires is not fast and netural dropping it is not good and I can't belive anyone with any sense thinks this is OK...LOL.....Wow...I wish I see one of my friends do this so I could slap um
Unfortunately I have seen way too many friends do this I just shake my head knowing that they have no idea what it is to actually work for their car. If they break it mommy and daddy will just buy them another one.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #26
quaidum
Contributing Member

quaidum is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdoby4life View Post
i have a 1990 Cb7 stock just with bolt-on's
what is the best RPM to launch it at?
anyone? ive launched it 5,500rpm and it does wheel spin alot so i know its not that... i dont want to waste my tires trying to find out so someone can you please help me?
you my friend need to stop doing this NOW!!!!
i don't even drop my clutch at that rpm what are you thinking. 3k is about the highest you need to go maybe bring it up to 4k
like deev said since you have been doing this for so long you probably ruined or are ruining one of the good tranny's that is still on the road
Old 04-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #27
civickiller
CB7tuner Member

civickiller is cool... so far.
hand grenade and youve already pulled the pin...... now we step back and wait.

neutral drops FTL.

Official CIVICKILLER's members ride thread! http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=112829

rock her with the shocker!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #28
Tippey764
Silver Member

Tippey764 is very helpful Tippey764 is very helpful Tippey764 is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to Tippey764 Send a message via MSN to Tippey764
hurr durrr i drive an automatic commuter car and think its fast so i drive it like an idiot.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #29
AcCoRd91cBsEveN
CB7tuner Member

AcCoRd91cBsEveN is cool... so far.
Ugh thank guys I'm not the only one that thinks pushing an automatic stock accord or car is not a smart idea.

92 Accord Cb7 ^^
My Ride Thread~~Click Below.
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176232
Closed Thread

Tags
accord , cb7 , launch , rpm , speed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: