H311RA151N : 1986 Ford F-250 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts I bought today.

Got the front brakes done. What a bitch. Rear's will be tomorrow. Then it will have all new brakes. Which on a truck this heavy (6000lbs) that's a good thing.

It was a lot of work just getting to this point...

Dual piston calipers.

Old front brake hose vs new.

All put back together.

Yay! Just what I always fuckin' wanted... More bullshit.

I hate this design. But it is a strong design. I'll give it that.

Aaand this one is back together. Bleeder broke off on it too. I will have to bleed the brakes through the brake hose where it meets the caliper. I have had to do that before on other vehicles and it sucks but it works just the same.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Friday I'm back at it.

-Rear brakes. (Wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware).
      -Brakes bleed.
      -Block heater installed.
      -Battery cables made and installed.
      Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Got an easy-out you can use on the broken bleeder?

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
          Got an easy-out you can use on the broken bleeder?
          Unless you can put 50+ftlbs on an easy-out it's not coming out. Which may be possible I'm just not very knowledgeable with easy-outs. IIRC It's a 3/8 bleeder and I was on it with a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket. I tried the constant pressure method for a while and then gave it a bit more muscle and they snapped. Plus each one soaked in PB Blaster for 2 hours before attempting to remove.

I know I can drill them out and re-tap but they are a royal fucking bitch to remove/install. I hate this design... and that's an understatement. If I had to drill, and re-tap I will have to remove the mother fuckers again... not to mention the lug nuts alone are hell. Long winded and tighter than hell the whole way.

I'm hoping I can gravity bleed and then bleed with the hoses. The rear brakes are getting new wheel cylinders which is good. The guys on FTE told me those would be the same damn way.

I may try an easy out. I can get new calipers for $50 each but I have to order the stupid things. I guess I'm just being a bitch here... I have just drained myself on this thing staying after it like I have been. So I apologize for my bitchiness and slight negativity.

Comment

No worries, I understand the frustration. Trust me, stop in at Sears and pick up a craftsman easy out set. It will make your life easier. I had to do the same on a '71 F-Series.

They hold my weight in torque I can tell you that from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
              No worries, I understand the frustration. Trust me, stop in at Sears and pick up a craftsman easy out set. It will make your life easier. I had to do the same on a '71 F-Series.

They hold my weight in torque I can tell you that from experience.
              No shit? Well thanks man. Looks like I'm going to Sears tomorrow!

Comment

Where I'm at now. Both front calipers are pulled off for cores. Ordered some new ones from Autozone that will be here Monday $100 a pair plus $30 core a pair. Not bad.

I tried an easy out. It just wouldn't quite get them out. The bleeders were in there good.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Wow that is really good price even at Autozone. It seems like every few days something big is done, and at this rate you will end up with a new truck soon.
                  Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                    Wow that is really good price even at Autozone. It seems like every few days something big is done, and at this rate you will end up with a new truck soon.
                    I know now that I need to get the bleeders red hot before I attempt to remove them in the future. It's a common problem I guess. Yeah, tomorrow will be another big day. Plus some things I have not documented yet. I just hope to be done soon and have a truck I don't have to worry or wonder about. This thing was seriously neglected and there is no reason for it. It's a good truck. It's a little rough body wise but I'm glad, I don't have to worry about scratching it.

Comment

Use Marine grade anti-seize on everything, regular anti-seize gets washed away after a while.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                        Use Marine grade anti-seize on everything, regular anti-seize gets washed away after a while.
                        I have some of that... somewhere. Since I sold my boat I might have misplaced it. But Bumper to Bumper is just 1.5 miles down the road.

Comment

Scattered progress today.

New starter solenoid installed. Positive battery cable fabricated and installed. Battery tray is in a bolted down. Coolant overflow tank is in and bolted in.

Battery tray bolted in.

Coolant overflow tank installed.

Block heater awaiting installation.

Freeze plug I'm going to remove.

Process of soldering the ends on the new batter cables.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-12-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Hold up on the brakes is this truck has pre '86 front calipers. The correct calipers were ordered this morning and will be here tomorrow. I ordered 1985 calipers and they will be the right ones.

I still yet need to fabricate an exhaust gasket.

Tomorrow I will be ordering the following:

Wiper Motor
                            Wiper Switch
                            Blower Control Switch
                            Blower Motor Resistor
                            Blower Motor
                            Blower Motor Wheel

Turn Signal Switch With Tilt
                            Parking Light Sockets
                            Marker Light Sockets
                            Front Turn Signal Sockets
                            Duralast Headlight Dimmer Switch

Ignition Switch
                            Ignition Lock Cylinder & Key

Power Steering Pump With Reservoir
                            Power Steering Hose
                            Fan To Power Steering Pump Belts
                            Alternator Belts

All of the above stuff is easy. The worst is behind me.

Comment

Front brake calipers will be in at noon today. Then the entire front brake system will be completely replaced other than rotors and hard lines. Which neither are in any way in need of replacement.

For the rear brakes I have discovered I have to pull the axle shafts. Which is kinda a pain. However I have to go into the rear brakes as my park brake drags a bit and I don't know how long it's been doing that for.

I have new wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware kits for the rear (which is pictured previously in this thread). So everything other than the drums will be replaced on the rear. And I'm putting in all new parking brake cables while I'm there. As that's more than likely why the rear brakes were dragging in the first place. There is a front cable and two rear cables. Surprisingly only $40 for all three.

Today is the last time I plan to throw half my paycheck at this thing. One good thing is spending several hundred dollars at a time (like I will drop about $600 today) you really rack up the rewards with Autozone. I'm digging the shit out of Autozone these days.
                              Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-12-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

First pic with the new camera. Power steering pump, dimmer switch, wiper switch, the right calipers, and windshield wiper motor.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-20-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X