Air filter, is there a difference...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air filter, is there a difference...

I'm looking at swapping my intake air filter to one with cut out/tapered center, similar to this:

My only question, is there a real difference between air flow from a filter that has the top of the filter open vs. one that doesn't?

I've even been looking at Weapon-R's velocity stacked air filter... not a big fan of foam filters. Info, suggestions?
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

not a noticeable difference imo...

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Most any of these cone filters are going to give much better flow than the stock setup. The bigger concern is which ones flow really well while still filtering well. I don't sacrifice air cleanliness for air flow. I suggest staying away from any of the more generic filters you may find on ebay. Also stay away from K&N, they flow very well, but my oil analysis' showed increased silicon levels (dirt) when I was running it.

I really like the Apexi power series dry flow filter, it's a good compromise between flow and filtration plus its design "swirls" the air charge, supposedly helping fuel atomization. The AEM dry flow filters also have a good reputation.
      My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
        Most any of these cone filters are going to give much better flow than the stock setup. The bigger concern is which ones flow really well while still filtering well. I don't sacrifice air cleanliness for air flow. I suggest staying away from any of the more generic filters you may find on ebay. Also stay away from K&N, they flow very well, but my oil analysis' showed increased silicon levels (dirt) when I was running it.

I really like the Apexi power series dry flow filter, it's a good compromise between flow and filtration plus its design "swirls" the air charge, supposedly helping fuel atomization. The AEM dry flow filters also have a good reputation.
        Right now I am running an AEM Dryflow filter. The only ones I've even bothered to look at for my new setup are K&N, AEM, Amsoil, and that's about it. I ruled K&N off the list because of the whole oiling of the filter, I do that enough with other peoples cars and did it for mine and got tired of it REAL fast.

I'll take a look at Apexi's and see if that fits the bill. If not, I'll just stick with my Dryflow.
        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
          Right now I am running an AEM Dryflow filter. The only ones I've even bothered to look at for my new setup are K&N, AEM, Amsoil, and that's about it. I ruled K&N off the list because of the whole oiling of the filter, I do that enough with other peoples cars and did it for mine and got tired of it REAL fast.

I'll take a look at Apexi's and see if that fits the bill. If not, I'll just stick with my Dryflow.
          Whats so bad about oiling the filter? Its the same shit as the dryflow, you just gotta oil it. Wow once a year OR less oiling the damn thing... lol what a PITA.

Also stay away from K&N, they flow very well, but my oil analysis' showed increased silicon levels (dirt) when I was running it.
          Who the fuck are you, Gil Grissom? What the fuck does oil analysis have to do with an air filter anyway?

Comment

Oh yeah, my other 0.02:

Cold air intakes are retarded. I hate the noise they make when you stomp the gas.

You should just take off the lower resonator on your stock air filter box, and toss in a K&N drop in.

I guarantee you'll see the same, if not better gains without the engine cooking the shit out of the metal intake piping.

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005 View Post

Who the fuck are you, Gil Grissom? What the fuck does oil analysis have to do with an air filter anyway?
              You must be stupid or out of the loop, or both. You can send in your oil to get analyzed for cheap.

There was an increase of dirty in his oil while running that filter..that means that filter sucks(if, and only if, he ran a test afterwards showing there was less dirty with a different filter).

Fuck filters. They restrict more than they filter.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Oh yeah, my other 0.02:

Cold air intakes are retarded. I hate the noise they make when you stomp the gas.
                So a CAI is retarded because of the noise? That has got to be the stupidest reason I've ever heard to not liking a cai.

Cai's are awesome and create the best power, given the right piping diameter is chosen.

Comment

For as many posts as you have, you sure don't know much about air filters and oil, and you HAVE A VERY BAD ATTITUDE to boot, not what we need on this site. I send oil samples to Blackstone Laboratory, an independent oil analysis lab, every so often to make sure everything is well with my engine. I especially send them in when I change/modify my engine or setup. The K&N filter allowed more dirt through than the cheapo ebay crap filter that came with my first CAI. I switched from the K&N to the Apexi Power series and my silicon levels dropped, almost back to "normal". You can't have perfect filtration and still good performance, but the Apexi does a really good job of filtering.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                    So a CAI is retarded because of the noise? That has got to be the stupidest reason I've ever heard to not liking a cai.

Cai's are awesome and create the best power, given the right piping diameter is chosen.
                    NO, IMO CAI's are retarded because all they do is make noise.

I bow to your greatness owequitit.

Comment

You must be stupid or out of the loop, or both. You can send in your oil to get analyzed for cheap.

There was an increase of dirty in his oil while running that filter..that means that filter sucks(if, and only if, he ran a test afterwards showing there was less dirty with a different filter).

Fuck filters. They restrict more than they filter.
                      So wait, analyzing air filters. This is the procedure....?

You send in the oil residue from the filter in for analysis to analyze against the oil from a ....... oilless air filter?

Second of all: If the K&N air filter contains more contaminants then the apexi/ebay bs.... that means it filtered better fools. While the K&N caught the contaminant the cheapo/or whatever didn't.

Comment

no, no, no. They analyze OIL, not filters.

19dabeast85 had a sample of his oil analyzed while running the K&N filter. It had high levels of dirt. Now, I'm going to assume he also sent in another sample after he switched filters and it showed less dirt. Can you put 2 and 2 together?

And cai's don't just make noise. They actually do make power, especially when the correct piping diameter is chosen.

Comment

So wait, analyzing air filters. This is the procedure....?

You send in the oil residue from the filter in for analysis to analyze against the oil from a ....... oilless air filter?

Second of all: If the K&N air filter contains more contaminants then the apexi/ebay bs.... that means it filtered better fools. While the K&N caught the contaminant the cheapo/or whatever didn't.

Go google "oil analysis" since you obviously don't know what it is. Sometimes instead of pulling BS ideas out of your butt about something you don't know, you should research it first to familiarize yourself with it before criticizing others. LOL

We send in our ENGINE oil. (the 5w30 stuff). Silicone gets through the filter, into the cylinder, past the piston rings and into the engine oil. It's normal on all engines. An oil analysis shows us if these levels are excessive thus indicating a poor quality air filter (as far as filtration is concerned).
                          My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

19dabeast85 had a sample of his oil analyzed while running the K&N filter. It had high levels of dirt. Now, I'm going to assume he also sent in another sample after he switched filters and it showed less dirt. Can you put 2 and 2 together?
                            This is correct, I've had before, during, and after oil analysis done. I believed in K&N until seeing those results.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

K, I do know about oil analysis, but i didnt put 2 and 2 together, you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X