Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

My car is randomly backfiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To make it true, yes... but when you tell someone to "shave and deck", you're suggesting considerable modification to increase compression... which will also throw their cam timing off.

The head should be milled AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Especially since it will be unsalvageable if too much material is removed.

I respect your experience, but what you've done and what I know to be correct may very well be two very different things. I've been around here a very long time, and I've learned that just because many people have done it, doesn't mean it's the right way to go about it.

Comment

yes very true, but also theres only a certain maximum tolerance you can shave the head in the first place.And oh ik all to well about the timing issues i got a head shaved milled whatever you wanna call it told them to do an inbetween.So head work was good but was milled way to much and had piston to valve contact after i thought the issue was in the head.I pulled it and bammm it dented the pistons,but didnt hurt the valves i came out real lucky i think i have some pix of it lol.And yea following the band wagon isnt allways the best idea ive learnt over these 4 or 5 yrs how to work on these things/my own cars really well.Never had to take a car to a mechanic but once since i was 16 knock on WOOD!

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

ok.....so would it be an over all better idea to just replace the whole thing rather than trying to replace the head? Also it isn't a vtech head on it now obviously but how hard would it be to put one on, since I'm already replacing it?

Comment

which engine is in your car shouldnt be a f22b1 unless it was swaped in b4 hand.And i wouldnt replace the head if it does infact not need it.Go get a good mechaine shop to check your head first.Be alot easyier to pay 40bux for a tad bit(as lil as possible) of milling than going and buying a new head.
          Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 10-06-2010, 10:53 PM.

02 Crv
          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

VTEC. vtech makes phones and children's toys. And no, it is a VERY bad idea to swap a VTEC head on there. If you want VTEC, get a full VTEC motor... H22A, F20B, or H23A VTEC. The SOHC VTEC motors are garbage... downgrades from what you have.

And nobody said it's not worth it to fix what you have. Just a bit of work. If you're opposed to putting in a little effort, then you should just get rid of this car altogether and buy something new. These cars are old. You are going to have to repair things regularly... ESPECIALLY if you're going to get into modifications, because once you change one thing, the other things are affected.

Comment

i helped my friend change his head gasket in his subaru and that was a pain in the ass. i hope your job is much easier.

Comment

I dont have anything against fixing it, I just wondered wich one was a better idea, but being that I dont have a whole lot of money my only real option is to fix the head gasket.

Comment

Working...
                X