Obd1 vs obd2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_naler View Post
    From what I can tell, the only difference in the F20B auto and manual versions are the valve train and TB. Not a huge deal for me as these can be upgraded in the future when this isn't my DD.

Time is a pressing issue as well as funds. I am leaving for BCT in 2 months, so it HAS to be done by then. At the same time, I don't want to have to keep pouring money into whatever way I fix it. For a while after basic I won't have time to work on it, so it needs to last me a year or so, with nothing but routine maintenance. Yeah, I would like to be different, but the way I look at it, performance wise, the F20B is to the H22A as the B16A is to the B18C, and I have always liked the B16. Alas, this is a conundrum that needs to be resolved shortly, and sadly the H22A is just simply out of my price range at the moment. Perhaps I will come into some $$ and be able to do it, but unlikely.
    Camshafts. The auto F20B uses regular H22A camshafts, whereas the manual uses the H22A Type S camshafts (at least that's how I've always heard it... maybe evil_demon_01 can do a part number check for us )

The B18/B16 comparison is a fair way to look at it. However, the more important things to consider are what I've already mentioned... the availability of replacement parts for non-NorthAmerican engines in North America, and the fact that there is no OBD1 equivalent... meaning some significant custom work, or the use of something that's "not quite right" that will be good enough for now. Neither option sits well with me... and a good custom tune will not be something you'd want to try to do on the cheap, or in a hurry.

Unless the F20B offers something that you absolutely MUST have, I don't see the point in getting one over the H22A.

Originally posted by honda_mike View Post
    So I picked up my motor on Saturday, and yesterday I had CB7Nub and Monza over and we were checking out my P13 and it seems to be a OBD2 ECU. Got in contact with Monza this morning and it turns out it has a immobilizer. How would I by pass this in our cars? All I no is it was previously in a 92 lude and may be bypassed
    You don't use the OBD2 ECU, that's how. Get an OBD1 P13. Converting your car to OBD2 is going to be MUCH more of a headache than converting your motor to OBD1.
    Seriously, how many times to I have to say this in this thread (and the other one on this subject going right now) before people listen?

Comment

OK so, when I convert to OBD1 I'm assuming the engine harness that's currently on the motor will just plug right in?

New heart and soul H22A4
      Bought from: King James,kouzie,xkjnboix,tommi
      Sold too: P5ylance,GearBangnAccord
      Traded with: crazymikey,nine_deuce

Comment

You don't use the harness that came with the motor. You use the harness that is in your car.

I've already said all this previously in this thread. I'm tired of repeating myself. Good luck, Mike.

Comment

Yes the '97 H22A4 was an odd ball engine in terms of main bearing size. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that the F23A was released in '98 and it had 55mm mains so Honda just switched all of their "big-block" 4-cylinders to 55mm mains.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Camshafts. The auto F20B uses regular H22A camshafts, whereas the manual uses the H22A Type S camshafts (at least that's how I've always heard it... maybe evil_demon_01 can do a part number check for us )
            Just to make things confusing, Did you know the F20B block came with dohc AND sohc head configurations . . . .

I'll check those numbers this afternoon for you.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Yeah, there's a member near me that has the SOHC F20B. His was the first I had ever seen, and I didn't believe it existed when he first told me he had it! Yeah, that one is definitely NOT worth owning. It's basically a 2.0L F22B1!

Comment

Camshafts all different.

F20B Auto intake - 14111-PCB-900 / exhaust - 14121-P5M-000
                F20B Manual intake - 14111-PCB-000 / exhaust - 14121-P5P-J00

H22 Auto/Manual intake - 14111-P13-000 / exhaust - 14121-P13-000

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Ah, ok. Good... we can finally dispel the Type S myth.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that nothing I can do to fix my vehicle is going to be cost effective. Therefore, I am going to take the engine out, store it and anything I deem decent, buy a dx Civic, and say au revoir to CB7s for the time being. I have to have something that I can drive a couple hundred miles with no worries after basic. When I am at AIT, I will only be 2.5 hours away from home. So I need something cheap and quick, rebuilding or swapping my CB fits neither of these.
                    _C'est La Vie, C'est La Mort_

Comment

Working...
                    X