Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Royal Purple Synthetic or Castrol Edge Synthetic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Purple Synthetic or Castrol Edge Synthetic?

Hey guys, Since I started driving and owning vehicles of my own I have always used Castrol Synthetic oils, It has never failed me and has always kept my engines running smoothly, my buddy told me the other day about this synthetic oil called "Royal Purple" which is supposed to be the top of the line product, has anyone ever used it before? is it better then castrol?

Honestly, unless your engine is built for high performance, you don't need any fancy oil to keep it properly lubricated. With our basic engines, a good synthetic will do no more than increase the amount of safe miles between oil changes.

Royal Purple is very good, by their reputation.
    Castrol's German synthetic is very good (better than their US offerings, according to my STi-driving friend, who agonizes over his car's maintenance, and gets an oil analysis with every change... always good results in the analysis.)

I use Shell synthetic in my 09 Fit (10,000 miles between changes, driven hard, running for 10-15 hours straight, at least 5 days a week... currently at 268,000 miles.), my 06 CTS-V (96,000 miles running strong, though the first oil change since I bought it was done yesterday... I choose Shell over the factory suggested Mobil1.) and my CB7 with a 160,000 mile 1994 H22 in it (also never had problems.)

Comment

royal purple is good but if youre going to spend the money, go for amsoil.

i like castrol because sometimes i can find a good deal at autozone for 30 bucks
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i found a coupon for 25 bucks off 5 qurts of royal purple and a royal purple oil filter
        the reciept cam out to 40 buck instead of 65...... i got it for my sisters 02' 1.8t beetle.
        good deal!!!

Comment

I run Rotella T it's a great break in oil, high mileage oil, holds up good under a beating. It has a good % of ZDDP additives in the oil and it's cost friendly at just under $14 a gallon the only down side is cold start up's in the winters other than that IMO best bang for my buck.

I also use Mobile 1 full synthetic and on occasion amsoil, but it's costly.

02 Crv
          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

im running royal purple after my break-in for my vw and i haven't changed it in a year hahaha. it's seen a lot of boost already.

probably switch it to amsoil before i store it for the winter.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              im running royal purple after my break-in for my vw and i haven't changed it in a year hahaha. it's seen a lot of boost already.

probably switch it to amsoil before i store it for the winter.
              I've heard it's good and when it first came out all the hot rod show's tested it and it performed good, but it's pricey i'll stick with my rotella.

As for amsoil i used that in my mirage and that car took one heck of a beating ever second of it's life although it's pretty expensive aswell i'd run amsoil over royal purple.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Im on my 4th royal purple oil change with zmax.I noticed that my car does run smoother and the ticks went nearly silent.I dont change mt oil every 2000 now ,i change it every 4000

Comment

consumer preference..
                  <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

I use 0-30wt German Castrol. The only Syntec with the German basestocks. BMW LL01 and MB Approved http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5bBehsiOW4

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...643#Post718643
                    Last edited by HelmHoltz; 08-06-2012, 11:52 PM.
                    91 Accord LX 5-speed
                    93 Accord LX 5-speed

Comment

I use Pennzoil Platinum, i used to use Mobil 1 synthetic but i swore i could hear my valvetrain chattering in my Civic.

Comment

i used redline full synthetic in my impreza, never had issues for the 15000 miles or so between changes.

Comment

Pretty much every oil mentioned in this thread is far more than any F22A or H22A will need, unless you're booted, or running a serious N/A build. Or if you're like me, and you do 10,000 miles of hard driving between changes!

Comment

rotella for me, although it kinda bugs me i cant find 10w-30 in every store
                            most car 5w-30/15w40
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Just make sure the oil is ACEA A3 rated then you are good.
                              91 Accord LX 5-speed
                              93 Accord LX 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X