listen to my engine , tell me whats up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

listen to my engine , tell me whats up

So I made this video for you to listen to. The engine itself has a very diesel like sound , and the muffler has a very metallic like sound. This is the car cold and warming up. The outside temp is 36f and the car was not up to operating temp. the engine gets a bit quieter when you drive it , but the exhaust always has that metal like sound.

Also the smoke coming from the engine , I think , is a leaky oil pan or pan drain plug , because it absolutely reeks of burning oil so I think it's leaking onto the exhaust.

But I'm more concerned with the noise right now which I'm guessing is that the top end needs some adjusting or fixing of some kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY5x...ature=youtu.be

My 2000 accord is the same way, it has 225,000km.

Problem = car is old. Lifters ticking.

My car has rings starting to go (smell burning oil when I step on it going up hill), ticking lifters when cold, and many other little issues.

How many miles/km on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      How many miles/km on the car?
      217,000 miles , which shouldn't be a lot for a cb9 , so it's only the lifters and not the rockers or anything else?
      Last edited by emosun; 12-26-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

My old f motor sounded similar to this but it would quiet up a lot when warmed up. I didn't worry about it too much as I had a swap waiting but never did cause me any real issues.

Comment

217,000 is a lot. The sound is the lifters only.

Comment

You could try adjusting the valve clearance.

Comment

Do both of these..... (ok so 3 of these lol)

Check oil level (it sounds like that when it is low)
              Check your valves (Eric the care guy has an easy way to do it)

Also......check your exhaust bolts from the CAT back to the tailpipe as well.
              3 CB's gone....
              1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Valve adjustment, and while you're at it, replace the valve guides and an oil change. 10W-40.

If the vehicle wasn't completely warm, start preparing for a new head gasket. If it was still warming up as mentioned, you may be fine.
                The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Do exactly what Straight Success said to do and once your engine is warmed up very slowly raise the rpms and listen for any engine knocks. If it takes your engine a long period of time before it gets warm I would replace the thermostat even on the coldest days as many cb7s I have-had normal warm up time would be 5-7 minutes I had a couple that took 15+ minutes lol.

Comment

Some good info in here and some not so accurate info as well.

First, how is the oil level? How long ago did you do a valve adjustment?

Before changing the recommended oil viscosity, does the motor consume oil? Has the oil pressure dropped? Fix the leaks and recheck oil pressures at both cold start up and at warm engine temps. If the pressure has indeed gone done, go with a thicker oil like the 5w40 recommended by someone else.

To replace the valve guides as stated above will require a machine shop to do, at which time you will need a new head gasket. Might as well rebuild the head.

As for the statement regarding valve lifters, these engines don't have valve lifters.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Thing sounds better than my sedan, I can't really hear anything but the lifter tick but both my cars sound like that.
                      For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

I think the valve lifter comments were meant to say valve lash. Set your valve lash.

Comment

As stated, make sure oil level is correct. Set valve lash. Intakes are 0.010 +/- 0.001, exhaust 0.012 +/- 0.001. I tend to set mine on the tight side, this seems to minimize clatter at start up and they are quiet when at temperature. You don't want to go less than the recommended or the valve may not seat correctly when warmed up, allowing leakage and possibly burning a valve.

If the burning oil smell is from under the hood, not at the tail pipe, a common source of a leaks that drip onto the exhaust is the oil pressure switch above the oil filter and the oil pan.

As far as the metallic sound of the exhaust, check the heat shields on the catalytic converter (these tend to rust away at the four mounting bolts) and the heat shields on the underside of the body.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by irelandmc View Post
                            I think the valve lifter comments were meant to say valve lash. Set your valve lash.
                            Yes; these cars don't have lifters... the rocker arms ride directly on the cam.

Comment

Working...
                            X