Just a warning about cheap flywheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a warning about cheap flywheels.

Please, if you need to replace your flywheel, and you aren't replacing it with a light-weight flywheel: DO NOT CHEAP OUT.

Flywheel in question was bought from EBAY, advertised as Dorman/ATP brand.

I made that mistake, and it turns out the flywheel is HORRIBLY out of balance. I get a nasty vibration around 1200 rpm that I didn't have before, it literally shakes the entire car violently. Not only that, but the pilot bushing (transmission input shafts fits into the bushing; it is in the flywheel) is already making squealing noises due to the imbalance (uneven wear).

Please! Don't cheap out! I found out you can order an OEM flywheel for only $40 more than this cheapo flywheel, and that's what I'm doing now.

Avoid my mistake, and you won't be pulling your transmission again, like I get to.
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

I have a fidanza flywheel 11lbs n honestly i dont know if their stuff is reliable, id appreciate the info

Comment

what brand was your flywheel Foamy?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
        what brand was your flywheel Foamy?
        The auction said it was Dorman/ATP, but I found no visible manufacturer markings on the flywheel.

Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7367&viewitem=

Also, everything I've heard about Fidanza has been good.
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

mines a cheapo too. & I do notice a slight wabble.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Its not just cheaping out brand wise, its always good to replace a flywheel&clutch with a higher quality one when you are installing major power adders (turbo, SC, N2O) etc..

I actually blew apart a flywheel on my 2002 focus svt when I installed a JRSC kit. I didnt expect it to happen so fast, less than 50 miles. Blew a hole in my getrag tranny, and destroyed some coolant/fuel lines..

Comment

shoulda just got it resurfaced.

my shop will have it in a couple hours turn around.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post

On mine it wasnt the issue, the flywheel was never meant to handle any power like I was putting down... the clutch was actually in pretty good shape. The whole car only had 45k when I got it.. keep in mind this also was over 3 years ago.

Comment

If that's the one you got, it says it has a free lifetime replacement. I wonder if they'd just refund your money, since I'm sure you won't get another one of those flywheels?

Comment

well i guess i'll find out about F1 once i get my ball joints installed.

Comment

ive been sayin, fidanza ftw.

hope all works out for ya sir

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

gota pay to play

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
                        And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
                        Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

Originally posted by J3wman View Post
                          gota pay to play
                          Not really...I got my Fidanza 8lbs flywheel for $100 shipped brand new on Ebay when I did my H22 swap...Came in its original Fidanza box, and it was even equipped with a pilot bearing already installed on it, not bushing! I love Fidanza...

How cheap are these cheapo flywheels anywho??

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

now i've never replaced a flywheel before, but aren't you supposed to take the flywheel and clutch to a shop and have it balanced as a unit before installation?
                            96 mx-6, needs work...
                            91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post

This flywheel was super-trashed (stock). The clutch face had actually worn down PAST the rivets, and the rivets wore a nice deep groove in the flywheel surface. Also had some cracks (I'm assuming due to heat stress) around that area.

I'm planning to have this set checked for balance (flywheel + pressure plate) once I get the flywheel in. The pressure plate and clutch were Exedy OEM replacements.

Comment

Working...
                              X