cordless tools to remove crank pulley bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cordless tools to remove crank pulley bolt

What is the cheapest cordless impact wrench that has enough torque to easily take off the pulley crank bolt ?!

also I have many sockets, how can I know if my sockets are 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch so I don't buy the wrong impact size ?! how to measure the socket size, I have a ruler that has both cm and inch measurements.

use a crank pulley tool and a breaker bar. the tool is like $25-40 and is well worth having.
    here's one on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-Honda-A...524#vi-content

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I agree, that "holder" tool is the best, paired with a breaker bar: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-2-i...p-00944202000P

And you determine the socket drive size, by measuring the size of the square hole in the end that the tool itself goes into - the square will have sides that are either 1/4 (small), 3/8 (normal socket set), or 1/2 (larger size). The crank pulley holder tool requires a 1/2"-drive breaker bar for leverage, and then you'll also need a 19mm socket on its own breaker bar (recommend these be 1/2" as well) to remove the bolt in the center.
      Last edited by cp[mike]; 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I know about it, my question was about cordless wrench, I will be using for other things too, I just want to benefit the most out of it when I buy one, and the crank pulley bolt is on my top list but it isn't the only reason I wanna buy a cordless wrench.

anybody who owns one, your input is much appreciated. thanks for the socket size measurement

Comment

cordless wrench really won't work on the damper bolt

u can use it for alot of things on the car but a few bolts no

follow the advice given
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I have heard of folks using a cordless electric impact driver to loosen the crank pulley bolt. I don't have any specifcs other than that.

I do know, however, that when I removed my crank pully bolt, my pneumatic impact driver couldn't even make the bolt budge. I had to use a breaker bar with a cheater pipe and the harmonic balancer holding tool. This method is cheap and will work for sure, and a breaker bar is probably a better/more useful purchase than a cordless impact driver if you don't already have one.

Best of luck!

Comment

I think I know which cordless you are talking about and it is around $500.
              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

There is a cordless impact at harbor freight that will break it lose for like 100 bucks. I usually just rent them from a rent a tool around here 14 bucks for a day and does the job. But if your looking to buy one I would recommend harbor freight.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                  cordless wrench really won't work on the damper bolt

u can use it for alot of things on the car but a few bolts no

follow the advice given
                  one time, the mechanic changed my crank pulley using an air tool impact wrench but I don't have space to store such a big tool in my house, my mom will kick me out for sure. that's why I am considering a cordless.

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                    I think I know which cordless you are talking about and it is around $500.
                    you mean the Ingersoll rand ?! well yeah and that's why I am asking if there's a cheaper one that could do it, in the manual it says the bolt is torqued around 165 lb-ft, most tools I've researched deliver 200 lb-ft at minimum but I have no idea about the price.

Anyway, I destroyed the lower plastic cover, well yeah I massacred it with a knife it took me 12 hours to finish the massacre but it massacred my back too. I have another cover from my dead f22a4 engine, which I will re-design by cutting the area where the alternator belt eats on it and creates a mess with a bad smell of melted plastic - NOT EASY - to remove.

I will post pics of it and then you can attack me that it will wear out the timing belt earlier than expected and what not ... but I can't stand the mess and smell and I think, either it was a bad design or done on purpose by Honda to chance alternator belts every now and
                    then

Anyway by removing that cover, I will be able to change everything there, from timing belt to balancer belt to seals and water pump without removing that Pulley ... isn't that right ?!
                    Last edited by EsperHamid; 09-04-2013, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew22888 View Post
                      There is a cordless impact at harbor freight that will break it lose for like 100 bucks. I usually just rent them from a rent a tool around here 14 bucks for a day and does the job. But if your looking to buy one I would recommend harbor freight.
                      we don't have that renting service where I live so I don't have your advantage, but have you seen this 100 bucks harbor freight do it ?!

Comment

Something a lot of people won't even think about, I haven't tried it on a crank pulley but have used it for almost everything else is a Dewalt 20v 1/4" drill. Harbor Freight sells a pack of adapters for 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" socket drive's and if I remember right it's around $10 maybe less. I haven't bought the 20v myself but I have an older 12v and it takes off lug nuts, transmission to motor bolts etc. They have a lot of power the 20v is $200 at Sears I believe. The 12v one I have has almost eliminated the use of air tools but sometimes need to bring out the good old air tools for those few bolts that give me issues.
                        Last edited by 92cb7pnw; 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

^I know what you're talking about. I have a Dewalt 18v cordless 1/4" drive impact driver. I've found that they will not have enough breakaway torque for the bigger fasteners but once they're loosened alittle manually, good to go. Tightening isn't all that bad but again, I torque everything manually just to be sure.

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
                          Anyway by removing that cover, I will be able to change everything their from, timing belt to balancer belt to seals and water pump without removing that Pulley ... isn't that right ?!
                          I would honestly stick to the conventional method-removing the pulley, it's pretty big and would DEF. block alot of the vitals on the bottom end. Trust me, with the motor in the car the last thing you need in the way is the crank pulley. Once you've personally reinstalled/torqued the bolt correctly it's really not that hard to remove. Over-torqued is another story.

I've had great success w/ the powerbuilt 50mm crank pulley holder and 2 breaker bars. The holder is set up for a 1/2" drive but I recently upgraded the other bar to 3/4" drive w/ a 20" extension that gets the breaker bar outside of the fender which is pretty nice.

Yeah, the lower cover is a pain, those almost always get chewed up by the alt. belt. I do know if the rubber gasket is soaked w/ oil it will swell and push the cover outward. Also I think the rubber ring that goes around the tensioner acorn nut is supposed to help hold the cover in too.

Comment

I use a corded impact gun and a home made holder:
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194578

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, @wildbill83 so even with a corded you still have to use a holder !! impressive crank pulley bolt indeed

so the Dewalt 18v doesn't remove that crank pulley bolt especially that it has been torqued by the mechanic using an air tool impact wrench so most probably it is over torqued. what about the 20v !?

as much as I need this tool for many other things, I want it to be able to do the pulley thing too else I wouldn't pay that much money for it, frankly I am looking to reduce the time I work on my car cause it is really giving some pain, many bolts weren't removed for a long time some 20 years ,, looks like the previous owner didn't do anything on this CB7

each bolt I remove, I clean it until it shines put grease on half of its shaft, oil on half of its threads then install it back ... so the next time I work on it, it'll be a piece of cake ... that crank bolt is one hell of a weird SoB but when I remove it, I will be cleaning it and put some anti seize material on its threads, is it a good idea ?!

after reading this, I am leaning more and more towards that pulley holder tool, I will look to see in our tools stores if not I will order it on the internet and not waste money on cordless claiming 200 ft-lb of break torque and not able to crack a 165 ft-lb crank bolt ... what a shame !!

I am sure the ingersoll rand W7150 can do it, seen a video on youtube of someone cracking a honda 16V crank pulley bolt with it after two attempts. it has a 1000 ft-lb break torque ,,, but a 500$ wallet break torque

Last edited by EsperHamid; 09-04-2013, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X