Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All in one computers... Anybody have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    They use such low-end junk in their basic systems, too! Unless you pay out the nose to upgrade to good stuff, you get the cheapest of cheap Chinese junk in there!

I stole my drummer's Dell to use for recording. It worked fine for a while. Then I let it sit. Now it won't start. It somehow broke itself by sitting unused in my living room for a year or so.
    i heard too that they recycle old parts claiming refurbished if that. so you trade in your p00 for a p00p they take your old card/PS slap it into another computer on the line and little jonny gets it in his *NEEWWW* dell for schoolwork

oh and its probably that button cell

Comment

All your comments in here crack me up...

Refurbished is not new, it just looks 'new', usually a part that was deemed defective or returned was tested and fixed, cosmetic issues addressed, not much different then buying a 'certified used' car.

In regards to All in Ones... they are crap, the only ones that aren't are the ones that you can actually 'build yourself', and even then, it's a slightly more powerful than a laptop on a stand, typically cheaper because there is more room to work with, but about as serviceable as a laptop. If you want to get the most ROI, buy a desktop, otherwise, invest in a warranty in the laptop/all-in-one if you go that route.

In my honest opinion of building and repairing computers for over 20 years, the place most oem and system builders cheap out is mainly on the power supply. From them blowing up (a loud pop), to the smell of burnt electronics, or a computer that suffers from stability problems the older it gets / when under load. Power supplies lose efficiency over time, some more then others. Also the build quality on 'the cheap Chinese stuff' tends to be 'just adequate to get by', sure they rate it at 300 watts, but I wouldn't even want to put 250 watts through it, it tends to be 'overrated', vs the power supply I'm using in my 'Uber Rig' is underrated at 1200 watts (80 plus gold), when it could push 1600+ watts, and I only push about 800 watts through it, so I have a lot of 'headroom'. Also the cheap power supplies tend to have crappy voltage regulators which is a primary reason for system instability, plus they can create 'line noise', for example, my father installed X-10 modules throughout the house to be able to control the lights through a programmable timer module that you plugged into the wall (Late 90's). Well I decided to one day buy two cheap computer cases with power supplies for $20 bucks each. A few days later after building my computers in them, the lights with the X-10 modules would turn off and on almost at random due to the noise being put on the power line 'fooling' the modules.

Personally I like to 'customize' my computers to my needs. It's also not that difficult to build a computer, wrenching on a car is much more difficult. It's getting it set up for the first time that can be a real pain.

I know in the end, once you throw in the cost of an OS, and other software, its really hard to compete with OEM.

Originally posted by trickedaccord92 View Post
      Just a quick look on newegg and I found this ....

Tower, keyboard, and mouse $499
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227495
      The video card in that is lame... might as well just run with the Intel HD graphics if you can't afford to spend at least $150 towards a graphics card.

As a comparable 'diy', to but in a smaller form + extra features:

---------------------------------------------------
      CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 - $49.99
      PWR: Corsair CS 430W 80 PLUS BRONZE - $39.99
      MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI - $99.99
      CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz - $119.99
      RAM: 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600 CL9 G.SKILL Ripjaws X (PC3 12800) - $79.99
      HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s - $59.99
      OPTICAL: LITE-ON DVD Burner - $17.99
      ------------------------------------
      Grand Total: $467 before any shipping/tax, and the only thing that isn't 'quality' is the DVD Burner.
      Last edited by cloudasc; 10-25-2013, 03:00 AM.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Apple or bust with an all in one.

My thoughts anyhow.

Stand alone tower, like the one cloudasc picked out would be pretty much overkill for anyone doing shit like you are. Pair that package with a monitor for a reasonable price and wall mount that bitch. Thats what I would do anyways. All in ones suck balls when anything gives you a problem. Basically, its similar money to buy a new machine vs getting your old one fixed compared to the bump in the road approach a typical PC has when something goes wrong.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Well, I ended up going with a Dell All In One, it was affordable at $550 shipped.

Like Deev said:

"They're ok if all you want to do is surf the web for basic things, check email, etc... Beyond that, I wouldn't want one. Such things are really only geared toward people with little computer knowledge, or limited space."

That's me in a nutshell.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

I'v had a lenovo think center for around 18 months. would never go back to a desktop or tower.

only issue is hdmi connectivity to my lcd tv.
            tried 3 different cords and gave up. simply use my laptop on the tv.
            not sure if its the blaupunkt tv that hates the lenovo or vice versa.

no bios issues or messing with drivers. plus it looks better functions flawlessly.

I don't plan on repairing if it breaks down, nor do i want to upgrade it ever. I"ll simply buy a whole new all in one different brand when it's required.

It should be good for 5 years.

Comment

also touch screen is only there for when you want to use it.

until recently I never used to even switch it off its so silent.
              been running about a whole year. automatically goes into hibernation if not used for a while.
              im totally unaware if its in hibernation or the screen is just off at times.
              don't check settings.

i now opt to shut it down as I don't use a computer as much as i used too.
              Last edited by Xsjado; 11-03-2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X