CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
blazercrx
CB7tuner Member

blazercrx is cool... so far.
Rear balancer shaft orientation

I'm working on a F22A6 and I read the manual and understand what I need to do with the maintenance hole. I read the post from 2013 about this topic.
BUT, I was able to rotate the pulley to 4 different locations (the dot on the face of the pulley was at 45, 135, 225, and 270 degrees) and insert my screwdriver to lock rotation.
My question is this: does the location of the dot on the pulley matter or is the service hole guaranteeing it will be timed properly regardless of the pulley orientation?
blazercrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
The pulley with the dot is not mounted directly on the balance shaft; as long as the screwdriver goes in, it should be timed properly. The 270 degree angle appears odd though, I would have expected 315 degrees based on the first three measurements.

LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
Come and get it.
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Yupp, I second what fleetw00d said..I had the same exact question when
putting my H22 together. As long as that screwdriver is in there you should
be good to go. worked perfectly for my H22 & two other F22s I have had.

You'll see where it allows the screwdirver to sit inside the engine the most.
That is the spot you want it at.

Just leave the balancer belt off when you put it all back together. Free HP!

Last edited by G. Wiffington; 05-31-2019 at 04:10 PM.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
blazercrx
CB7tuner Member

You would think with me being a Mechanical engineer I would be able to math a little better... last one should be 315 degrees. Thank you for the clarification on the matter.

Is leaving the belt off an option? What type of blinker fluid do they sell you at the parts store?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Leaving the belt off is an option; a little extra HP available that was used to drive the balance shafts. Engine will shake more; can't tell you how much because I've never run one without it.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 AM   #6
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazercrx View Post
You would think with me being a Mechanical engineer I would be able to math a little better... last one should be 315 degrees. Thank you for the clarification on the matter.

Is leaving the belt off an option? What type of blinker fluid do they sell you at the parts store?

Old 06-01-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
blazercrx
CB7tuner Member

I wrote that, then immediately saw a post in the non-beginner section asking about what all can be deleted when leaving the BS belt off...

This will be a daily driver for the wife while we rebuild a coupe w a K24... I'm a firm believer that Honda designed the engine with the balancer shaft setup for a reason, any minimal gain in HP by removing it IMO isn't worth the potential failure.

Vibration is a form of energy just like HP. I realized as I was about to explain its draw on power how lengthy of a discussion it would become. I'll just leave it at the statement that I choose to maintain the BS belts use.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Lol I am gonna take a step back with what you just said...

Having experienced a few years of working with the Accord CB7..I think I know
what I am talking about sir.

Take that blink fluid comment to some other forum..we don't put up with that
around here. I actually don't get on here as much but the fact you said that
was just uncalled for.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazercrx View Post
I wrote that, then immediately saw a post in the non-beginner section asking about what all can be deleted when leaving the BS belt off...

This will be a daily driver for the wife while we rebuild a coupe w a K24... I'm a firm believer that Honda designed the engine with the balancer shaft setup for a reason, any minimal gain in HP by removing it IMO isn't worth the potential failure.

Vibration is a form of energy just like HP. I realized as I was about to explain its draw on power how lengthy of a discussion it would become. I'll just leave it at the statement that I choose to maintain the BS belts use.
I have an F22 & H22 Euro R with the BS belt off of both & NOTHING has
happened. Revs faster & you do receive more torque..it doesn't even make the car vibrate like that..so...?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
blazercrx
CB7tuner Member

I apologize for offending you G. Wiffington. I read "Just leave the balancer belt off when you put it all back together. Free HP!" like you were messing with the new guy, like: "grab me the left handed monkey wrench..." I immediately came back to correct myself because I realized you were being sincere with the comment. Once again, my apologies for the offense, it won't happen again.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

Bailey_CatDaddy is cool... so far.
I wish I could find the post. But somewhere in the Honda literature it tells the mechanics that the balance shaft is only for reduced vibration near idle and it was added for comfort and reduced NVH. It never says anything about wearing down other parts due to vibration. Some other person was talking to I believe someone who raced in BTCC and they ran without the shaft also.
Bailey_CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
I ran with and without never had an issue on either motors. I’m currently running without all balance accessories on my built motor. The car does vibrate more, but not due to the lack of balance shafts, but because I have solid mounts and I’m running a Delta 272 cam. Running without the belt does free up some HP, nothing to really notice, and you get the added benefit of one less thing failing you and getting jammed up in the timing belt.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #13
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

I had an h23 break a balance shaft belt and it took out the timing belt.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #14
blazercrx
CB7tuner Member

could be the reason why the engine I'm replacing went bad, it had a broken timing belt but could have been the balancing belt that caused the timing belt to break.
As far as the balancer belt that I just installed...It's too late now, I'll have it started by the end of tomorrow. When this belt fails it'll be time to upgrade to a K series.

That's what sucks about being a newb.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #15
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
What sucks about being a noob?

Hell I’ve been working on this car for 16 years and I still make noob moves. But putting something that came from factory back on it’s a noob move. I ran the balance belt on my H22 only reason I didn’t remove it was because I was too lazy to pull the timing cover.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #16
blazercrx
CB7tuner Member

Lol, not knowing about what the balancer shafts were actually designed to do. My newb assumption was that it kept the bottom end from scattering at high RPM. I understand the concept of balancing a crank and why they have harmonic balancers and weighted flywheels, I thought this was an engineering design that was to replace those two components.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 AM   #17
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

No big deal, it isn’t a noob mistake at all. It’s good to have it on there for smoothness. It doesn’t hurt anything. A lot of these cars get abused pretty badly before getting picked up by someone like you who cares enough to even ask. Who cares enough to maintain the car!

The flywheel on these are just regular balanced. And the cranks are balanced without the flywheel on. And the crank pulleys aren’t weighted either. Honda balanced every piece by itself! Which is great for us. Easy to swap parts.

The crank on your accord could spin to 10-11k and not break as long as the rod bolts didn’t break. Eventually over rev will cause the cranks to split in half, but that’s almost always only on Turbo h-series motors revving up to 9~~k and being put through unimaginable abuse compared to a non turbo car.

If you keep your oil full and fresh, following Honda’s guidelines for your temperature range you won’t see any problems.

And keep the valves adjusted properly, to keep the valves from burning up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: