Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

radiator support bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radiator support bend

my cb was recently got into an accident and the front was kind of bad.
    the radiator support was bend during the accident.

which would be a better option?

fulling and hammer it back or go to jy and get a new one weld back on?

The radiator support is removable on the CB Accord. Is yours damaged by the headlight buckets as well?

Honestly, unless the car is in astounding condition otherwise, it probably makes more sense just to look for a different car. Sure they're easily repaired, but you must assess for yourself what you will be left with once it's repaired. Do you have a car with a fixed front end and rust elsewhere?

If you've decided that you do want to repair it, get a decent drill, a few spare batteries, a spot weld cutter bit, a center punch, hammer and some hand tools and go to the junkyard. Look for an unwrecked car that has no signs of bodywork up front. Remove the grill, bumper, headlights, fenders, radiator, condenser and lines and start marking all of the spot welds with a punch. Don't worry about not drilling all the way through as you don't care if the base metal on the junkyard car is left with holes. You just want the spot weld bit because it's sharp. Use a utility knife to separate any spots where seam sealer is holding everything together and pull it away.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

To minimize time and power requirements at the JY, I suggest taking a sawzall and simply cut through the structure behind the radiator support, then take that section home and do the spot weld separation there. I used a spot weld cutter from www.eastwood.com; it facilitates cutting away just one surface of the weld. On the piece from the JY work from the back to leave the radiator support intact. On your car, work from the front to leave the surface on the car intact.

Have pictures of the damage? That might help us to offer better advice.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

thanks for the website and advice. i tried hammering it back but it didnt go too well. but i got it. forgot to take some pictures for sure next time.

Comment

Originally posted by vincenity_23 View Post
          thanks for the website and advice. i tried hammering it back but it didnt go too well. but i got it. forgot to take some pictures for sure next time.
          I have some experience pulling the radiator support on these cars.

You need to have a lot of patience. I smashed the passenger front corner in about 6 inches and have pulled it back out. Everything lines up ok; not perfect, but ok.

Invest in a comealong:

Attach one end to a very sturdy object (large tree, light pole, etc) and put some pressure on the radiator support. Also, using a nice sized sledge to convince the metal to move where you want it.

It also helps to remove the radiator, as you do not want to cause damage to it.

Comment

Working...
          X