Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

High idle after H22 plenum swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High idle after H22 plenum swap

How's it going everyone, so I swapped an obd2 H22a4 (AT) plenum on my car the other day and I'm still having slight idle issues.

I followed owequitit's instructions but I believe he was using an obd1 plenum as the pictures looked different.

After turning it on the first time without any adjusting the idle seemed slightly high but after the car warmed up it was bouncing between 1.1k and about 1.8k which led me to believe the iacv wasn't hooked up right. Then I switched my coolant lines and started it up again and it was still doing it

Next I moved on to tightening the fitv and that actually helped a lot, but the idle was still bouncing so I added more coolant and bled it with the bleeder and ran the car with one of the coolant tanks we have at the shop.

Idle was still bouncing slightly so I tried to set base idle and couldn't get the rpms to drop to 600 so I used propane to check for vacuum leaks and found none. After this I managed to lower my idle to about 900 but it likes to sit slightly higher unless I pull the pedal towards me with the top of my foot.

My thought is I need a manual throttle plate but I'm not sure and don't want to buy random parts to look for a fix.

And this is where I'm at now, any and all help is appreciated!

Here's a little video if it helps at all
    https://youtu.be/d715FTMlb5E
    Last edited by Krazy Kruse; 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM.

The automatic plenum from an H22A4 should use a 3-wire IACV. Does this one just use your standard 2-wire?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I used my good Accord iacv

Comment

Whether it is the problem or not, remove the piston from the FITV and replace the o-ring on it. I also had a leaking o-ring on the idle screw of my wagon which caused problems with the idle.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thank you fleetw00d, I'll try to do that tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy Kruse View Post
            ...but it likes to sit slightly higher unless I pull the pedal towards me with the top of my foot.
            That sounds like the throttle cables aren't adjusted correctly or something isn't allowing the throttle body to close.
            My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
            Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
            Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy Kruse View Post
              How's it going everyone, so I swapped an obd2 H22a4 (AT) plenum on my car the other day and I'm still having slight idle issues.

I followed owequitit's instructions but I believe he was using an obd1 plenum as the pictures looked different.

After turning it on the first time without any adjusting the idle seemed slightly high but after the car warmed up it was bouncing between 1.1k and about 1.8k which led me to believe the iacv wasn't hooked up right. Then I switched my coolant lines and started it up again and it was still doing it

Next I moved on to tightening the fitv and that actually helped a lot, but the idle was still bouncing so I added more coolant and bled it with the bleeder and ran the car with one of the coolant tanks we have at the shop.

Idle was still bouncing slightly so I tried to set base idle and couldn't get the rpms to drop to 600 so I used propane to check for vacuum leaks and found none. After this I managed to lower my idle to about 900 but it likes to sit slightly higher unless I pull the pedal towards me with the top of my foot.

My thought is I need a manual throttle plate but I'm not sure and don't want to buy random parts to look for a fix.

And this is where I'm at now, any and all help is appreciated!

Here's a little video if it helps at all
              https://youtu.be/d715FTMlb5E
              Mine was in fact an OBD-1 from a 1995 Prelude manual.

Not sure if there were any major differences between auto and manual parts though.

That said, I have noticed that most FITV's of that vintage are leaking and that will cause an idle surge like you are describing under similar circumstances. I took a soda can and cut out a template and then Hondabonded it to block of the FITV. That worked like a charm.

It will still occasionally idle a little oddly, but it has been 10 years since I touched any of it, so I could have a new vacuum leak or some other issue that I just haven't had time to work with.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

A little update:

Car idles almost perfect when cold, high idle starts once it's fully warm. Noticed driving that my car wants to pull me forward almost like cruise control is on and also engine braking is barely happening.

1) Added an obd2 map sensor with jumper harness

2) Checked tps voltage with multimeter and got 4.59v and .47 which seems within spec

3) Reinstalled a vacuum line where the air boost valve would normally be, this actually helped a decent amount with engine braking.

4) Hooked up my cruise control line that was capped off before just to try anything

5) Removed fitv to inspect gaskets and to recheck tightness of plastic screw, the gaskets seemed a little old but I didn't have new ones so I cleaned them and reinstalled.

5) tried to set base idle again and can't get it to 600

Thank you so far for the responses everyone, I'll try making a block off plate for the fitv tonight and see if that helps. Hopefully it's that because my iacv was working before the swap

Comment

Actually take the piston out of the FITV and find a new o-ring to fit. Stop by sometime if you want another set of eyes on it.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I just found your diy about rebuilding the fitv, I will do that and let you know how it goes, thank you

Comment

*Update*

I made a block off plate for my iacv 2 days ago at work to see if it would change anything. Also I kept it plugged in.

On the way home for lunch it would barely run and I had to keep the rpms up myself but once it was fully warm it would hold idle at 800. Cold start the next morning it started right up and held idle at about 1.5k for about 20 seconds but then dropped really low to about 300-500 and needed my help again until it was fully warm.

So yesterday I decided to loop the coolant lines for the fitv and put a block off plate on it, and also removed the plate on the iacv. Fired the ol girl up and VOILA! She's back to normal guys, I guess there an issue with the fitv so I'm gonna possibly try to rebuild it but for now I'm gonna see what cooler throttle body life is like.

Thank you for all the help everyone, I love this website and hope to one day contribute as much back as it's already given to me.

Comment

If you wanted to eliminate it permanently, OMNI sells a throttle body that's cast and has a brass blade for well under $100. Comes in multiple sizes. I have a 68mm and it seems pretty close to OEM.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                        X