No announcement yet.

Grumpys93 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya, see what you mean. What size WG are you using? 38mm or 44mm?
    Are you just looking for a log manifold or something fancy?
    & for your oil drain just use a flexible hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      Ya, see what you mean. What size WG are you using? 38mm or 44mm?
      Are you just looking for a log manifold or something fancy?
      & for your oil drain just use a flexible hose.
      I will be running the 38mm as I am only running a 57 trim turbo so I don’t think it will exceed the amount of exhaust I need the WG to expel at 20psi or whatever low boost I run during a cruise. I plan to replace the diaphragm in the WG as it is pinched on one side.

As for the manifold Blake hasn’t designed it yet. But we both agreed that it would be a bottom mount turbo and probably equal length runners. If you go to his website it may look something like his H22 bottom mount mani.

For the oil pan, the angle that it would have to drain isnt optimal and could cause some residual oil to stay in the line. Plus my current oil pan has a decent size dent in it. So I want to go ahead and replace it. Trying to do everything right this time around.
      Last edited by Grumpys93; 11-01-2018, 08:59 PM.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

So nothing to exciting to update on here. So both Blake and I scoured the internet looking for an f22a/h23 etc... flange so he can build the manifold and we find not to my surprise that they no longer exist. So he had to get one custom made from his machinist. But to save some money he took the measurements and created a proof that he sent out so that should cut down on the machining costs:

He seriously is a jack of all trades.

He also received the turbo flange in the mail today so we received at least one piece of the puzzle. Looks like a solid piece:

Then today I was antsy to do something to the accord so I decided to replace the chrome trim under the back quarter window, since hail and other things decided they needed to be dented. It was surprisingly an easy install and was nervous about breaking tabs. But thankfully I didn't bust any.

Bottom chrome trim is the old dented one, one installed is new:

Then just out of boredom I removed the riveted wire holders on the intake manifold brace and cleaned it up. It's one less thing to catch my hand when I feel for leaks back there.

Last edited by Grumpys93; 11-06-2018, 12:05 AM.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Received all the parts for my oil catch can today:

Nothing to fancy just a catch can and some an fittings

Then Blake received the straight pipes to start building the collector for the manifold now we are just waiting on the head flange so he can start building the manifold:

~Nick~

Comment

Im just here to party.
            www.850fab.com
            IG - @850Fab
            FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Man, i want to be part of this build more than online haha. Anywho, where ya going to mount the catch can?

I always had this 'Race Hard' (company) cast iron manifold that I was going to use in the beginning. Believe it's H22, bottom mount, 38mm WG. Eventually I decided to go 44mm and changed manifolds.

..... and I have to change my chrome too. I have the pieces, but never done it prior. I know they have never been removed prior. But guess it doesn't matter if i break clips as I'm not putting dented silver back on...

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                Man, i want to be part of this build more than online haha. Anywho, where ya going to mount the catch can?

I always had this 'Race Hard' (company) cast iron manifold that I was going to use in the beginning. Believe it's H22, bottom mount, 38mm WG. Eventually I decided to go 44mm and changed manifolds.

..... and I have to change my chrome too. I have the pieces, but never done it prior. I know they have never been removed prior. But guess it doesn't matter if i break clips as I'm not putting dented silver back on...
                Come join the party! I'll have a nice 6 pack waiting for you!

That manifold looks very similar to my old manifold except your wastegate is faced at a different angle. I kept going back and forth between upgrading to a 44m or keeping the 38. In the end I decided I already have the 38 so lets roll with it and if I need to upgrade later on, it shouldn't be too much trouble to have Blake cut the 2 bolt flange off and weld a v-band on there.

As for the chrome trim, it was surprisingly easy at least for the coupe and rear quarter window. I didn't try the door as that trim is still in good condition. But there were only 3 beefy clips holding the lower trim in and then the top was nothing but screws.

I do need to find the part number for the gasket that goes underneath the top chrome trim as mine is hard and I'm sure if I were to get caught in the rain it may leak. So if anyone has the part number please feel free to share *cough Paul aka part number guru cough*

Blake got some more work done on my build, ya'll should check out his Instagram he has some pretty cool projects going. (I don't have IG so I don't know how it works I just look at pics lol)

Crankcase ventilation bungs welded into valve cover, this seemed to be the best spot to put them where they were behind the baffle and wouldn't interfere with the hood or require to add baffles to the VC:

Tacked in place:

Welded in:

Once again beautiful welds:
                Last edited by Grumpys93; 11-16-2018, 12:50 AM.
                ~Nick~

Comment

I wish i could weld like this... I'll keep practicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                    I do need to find the part number for the gasket that goes underneath the top chrome trim as mine is hard and I'm sure if I were to get caught in the rain it may leak. So if anyone has the part number please feel free to share *cough Paul aka part number guru cough*
                    The gasket is not a separate part number from the trim. If you want to seal the holes, just use a piece of thin self adhesive weatherstrip at each hole. I have a roll I use for things like the gaskets on the lower rear windshield trim clips - the original seals are one of the major causes of trunk leaks.

The things you really have to worry about when removing the quarter windows is the hinge nuts. The plastic holder many times is brittle and cracked and falls into the pillar when you remove the screw. It is a funky setup and no longer available from Honda (I bought all a I could a year or so ago) by contacting individual dealers that still had some in stock.
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-19-2018, 12:42 AM.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      The gasket is not a separate part number from the trim. If you want to seal the holes, just use a piece of thin self adhesive weatherstrip at each hole. I have a roll I use for things like the gaskets on the lower rear windshield trim clips - the original seals are one of the major causes of trunk leaks.

The things you really have to worry about when removing the quarter windows is the hinge nuts. The plastic holder many times is brittle and cracked and falls into the pillar when you remove the screw. It is a funky setup and no longer available from Honda (I bought all a I could a year or so ago) by contacting individual dealers that still had some in stock.
                      That is true, lol when I removed the quarter glass I was confused on how it all worked. If they are discontinued then I may go back to the Jy and grab them off the only coupe they had there.
                      ~Nick~

Comment

prototype design for Nicks build. Cylinder 4 actually got a slight change to make it longer and closer to equal length. I dig it.

One of my machinist getting the flange drawn up. I didn't have the time to proof my drawing so he took care of it.

www.850fab.com
                        IG - @850Fab
                        FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Very nice! I'd love one of those modeling kits, but they're stupidly expensive considering they're little more than childrens' block toys.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                            Very nice! I'd love one of those modeling kits, but they're stupidly expensive considering they're little more than childrens' block toys.
                            They are incredibly helpful for me as a fabricator. I dont have to do anything thinking. Just build like I am a kid again.

www.850fab.com
                            IG - @850Fab
                            FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Yeah, the company that makes them is just down the street from my friend's house in Austin. They have an amazing product, and they know it. I'm assuming they have the market heavily cornered because it seems.like.some Chinese company could have come in and copied them already.

I considered buying a couple of sizes and then starting a rental service. What do you think about something like that, Blake? Maybe make some of your money back.
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I recently took the accord off the insurance since it will be sitting for a couple months while I do work on it. So to keep the engine nicely lubed and all fluids flowing I decided to pull it out of the garage and idle for 10 mins. While it was idling I looked around for any leaks or odd things that may have happened.

Well I noticed the exhaust note sounded differently when I hit a trough in the road trying to avoid someone about to hit me and heard a loud thud. Anyways I looked around the header and found this.....

If you look where 3&4 merge that weld has a clean break.

In this picture you can see the exhaust blowing out where the runner meets the collector:

I'm pretty sure this was a cheap ebay header, so I am not upset. This just makes me eager to finish the turbo build and pull the H.

Now to the exciting stuff:

Blake is back on the manifold and sent me some awesome progress pics today. As you can see he made some small changes on it, he changed the routing of #1 and 4 runner to bring all the runners to within an inch in length of each other. So it looks like it will be pretty damn close to equal length and bottom mount.

Hit him up for his manifold guys. He is a master of his craft!
                                ~Nick~

Comment

Working...
                                X