Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

difference between type s and stock h22 cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference between type s and stock h22 cams

I am in the process of my first build and trying to figure out if I have type s cams, I have 2 sets of cams and would like to figure out how to determine the difference between stock and type s ? They have somewhat of a blue tint to them.

The Type S cams have blueish tint.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

"My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Most likely duration and lift. I'll look into it as I am possibly interested in using these cams.
        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
          Most likely duration and lift. I'll look into it as I am possibly interested in using these cams.
          What other mods or improvements are needed to use these in the stock h22 ?

Can you just throw them on there and see a difference in power ?
          10th Anniversary Accord.
          05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

You can but it's not really advised. You really should tune accordingly. The factory valve springs can work but it's similar to the situation people encounter when they put a 4A camshaft (F22A6 in the US) into an F22A1/4. It works but unless you swap in the appropriate springs you won't be using the ones intended for the lift of the upgraded camshaft.

And the blueish tint is not a giveaway. This is what pissed me off about the H23A VTEC thread on Honda-Tech. All of the H-series camshafts after a certain year were blueish. My '97 F20B has blue cams but it was an automatic and has, arguably, the crappiest cams made for an H-series. And I don't know about all H22A4s but the ones with the P5M heads seem to all have blue cams as well. None of these are Type S cams. You'll need to actually measure the cam to know for sure.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

So the whole type S valvetrain would be ok to be put on the non type S head and block ?
              10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

Yes.

Some people have reported increased wear on the rockers pads or the camshaft lobes but I have yet to see that substantiated by anything. The thinking is that the valve angle of the PDE head that those cams are usually found in works in synchronus with the profile of that camshaft and that installing them in a P13/P5M head changes this geometry and creates issues. I'd stipulate to this if only the manual transmission F20B with the PCB head didn't have them also. That's essentially a P13 head with smaller diameter combustion chambers. I think it's bull, but I just wanted to put it out there.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Just keep in mind that the 20 crank horsepower the Type S has over the base JDM H22A (30 over the USDM H22A1) is due to far more than just the cams. Intake manifold, cams, springs, mildly polished head (reported... I've never compared firsthand), possibly the exhaust manifold (I honestly don't remember), pistons, and the proper ECU tune. That's a LOT of parts for only 20hp... so it's reasonable to assume the cams alone won't give more than 5-7hp (crank) at best.

Comment

^ Right but if combined with power adders like the ones you said it could eventually add up.

Would that also increase MPGs or no ?

I'm just doing a lot of reading and searching becuase i want an H22 to be reliable but i want it to be able to spin the wheels sometimes
                    10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

For future reference for anyone wondering....I measured my H22A cams and Type S cams with my digital calipers on the VTEC lobe.

Intake:
                      H22A: 1.452"
                      Type S: 1.466"

Exhaust:
                      H22A: 1.432"
                      Type S: 1.446"

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Very good info! Can you measure the base circle? That would allow calculation of the actual lift and the true difference between both.

Also, what is the rocker-arm ratio of these heads? That would allow you to calculate gross valve lift.

Comment

Originally posted by cyanide View Post
                          Very good info! Can you measure the base circle? That would allow calculation of the actual lift and the true difference between both.

Also, what is the rocker-arm ratio of these heads? That would allow you to calculate gross valve lift.
                          They're already installed unfortunately.

member's ride thread
                          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                            They're already installed unfortunately.
                            Any differences to report?
                            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                              Any differences to report?
                              Car is a LOT more responsive.

Used to die out around 90, now pulls pretty good to 110-120 (done on open road early in the morning) but can't really go past that b/c of my F22 5th gear limiting me.

Has a lot better midrange too. I noticed while driving in traffic, I don't have to down shift to accelerate from 30-50 when in 4th.

VTEC cracks a lot harder also. I feel more kick at 5200rpm.

some of this could be due to me adjusting the valves after 60k miles though lol.

But I'd say it gives a noticeable increase in mid-top end performance.

Definitely worth the 100 bucks I paid for them.

member's ride thread
                              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                              X