f23a1 block/f22b2 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f23a1 block/f22b2 head

I recently picked up a 1999 accord 5spd. It was running on 3 cylinders when i got it for $400 dollars. I was hoping it was just in need of a "tune up".
    After driving it home I started too look it over and "well look at that" it already had a tune up. I pulled out the compression tester and started testing the compression. I had zero compression on cylinder #3. Now it'was time to figure out what to do with this motor.
    The Odyssey I picked up for my wife had developed more electrical gremlins than i wanted to deal with. It got parked and I picked up this accord as a replacement.
    OK, now I have two broke down Honda's.
    The motor was good in the odyssey, but it is also a bit smaller than the on in the accord. I couldn't bring myself to put a motor that was that much more under powered than the original in the accord.
    I go to the all knowing great and powerful wizard of google to ask the question, Can I put a f22b2 head on a f23a1? My search returned enough info to say that they bolt right together and even use the same exact head gasket. Further research shows that the lift on the f22 cams is only fractionally smaller than the f23a1 vtec lobes. Nice, so with this swap it should be like running a set of vtec killer cams. (not really, but kinda)
    More research says Honda even has a nonv-tec f23a5 that came in the value package accord. That is most likely the ecu I will hunt down and use or a conversion harness to run a obd1 f22b ecu.
    I have the head bolted back on to the block. The f23 intake manifold bolted up nicely.(it is used by 5th gen guys as a small upgrade to their f22b2 intake manifold) The cast 4-1 shorty from the f23a1 also bolted right up the head. This is bolting back together nicely.(that means something major is gonna screw me)
    Anyone wanna take a guess as to the problem I am about to run into?

One small piece of advice that I never ran across on google was, make sure you got a dizzy that will run your motor.
    The f22b2 distributor will obviously bolt up, but it has many more wires and a extra connector, making it impossible to plug into the harness. The f23a1 distributor will plug right back into its harness but it does not bolt directly up to the head. One major difference is there are only two bolt holes on the accord dizzy and there are three on the ody dizzy. The two bolt holes on the f23a1 dizzy are a real close match to two of the bolt holes on the f22b2 block but they will need a little resizing to get them to bolt to the head. The internals of the two dizzys is different enough that swapping the guts doesn't seem as possible, but it may be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which dizzy to use?
    should i swap guts, resize bolt holes or is there a dizzy choice I am missing?
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

I ended up resizing the bolt holes on the f23a1 dizzy and using it on the f22b2 head.
    It starts it up, I now have to fix a fuel leak at the back of the car.
    CB7TUNER.com

Comment

The F22B2 distributor would've been the easier option, but if you made the F23A1 part work, then that should be fine. Can't beat creativity! Was your F22B2 distributor OBD1 or OBD2? I'd have expected OBD2 distributors to have the same plugs...

Fuel leak at the back sounds like a ruptured line or leaking pump. Not fun!

Comment

The f22b2 motor I am working with is a obd1 distributor.

Sorry about that, No matter how hard i try i seem to leave out key info when making post.

As in I never specified, the f23a1 had a burnt valve in cylinder 3, which in of it's self is no big deal, but when coupled with a spun cam it made the head unusable.
        Then not posting that my donor head was obd1 could lead to confusion on why I was having problems choosing the right distributor.
        Ruptured break lines while being a pain at least will be obvious when i take the rear wheel off and start looking for the leak.

The good news is, this car has been delegated to my winter beater and my wife is making payments on a 2003 Pilot.
        CB7TUNER.com

Comment

Working...
        X