Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior

General Pictures:

These are general pictures of before during and after for the first attempt of my interior redo.

Note that the interior redo will be updated here from now on and not on the interior redo thread I started a while back!

Floor
    Before

Nothing

Dynamat

Dynaliner

After

Doors
    Before

After

Other door panel done tonight. Here are both side by side.

I am still missing some parts but I will put them in the car someday.

Rear Quarter Panel
    Before

After
    Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 05:24 PM.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Interior

Dash
      Before

Nothing

After

Trim Panel
      Before

After

Shifter
      Before

After (pspec short shifter boot and knob)

Seats (not done)

Head Liner (not done)
      Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Interior

Process:

The "leather" is vinyl and you can buy it at any fabric store. This individual color/material costs $11 a yard. I Bought three yards and that is enough to do both door panel inserts, the lower pockets, and the rear quarter panels.

My Process

1) "GooGone" the entire door panel. (this stuff is amazing!) Then wipe the panel down with rubbing alcohol

2) Remove anything I didn't want to be black (or the other color)

3) Put a coat of Adhesion Promoter (I used "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter").Paint the panel. Here is a picture of the paint I am using. It is available from napa and is an interior paint from "Martin Senour" I do not recall the prices of these products but they are affordable.

4) "GooGone" yes again it makes the finish on the panel smooth and soft like the original vinyl. Then soap and water. When I finished this step this is what I had
        Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Interior

5) The lower pocket is easy to redo. Start by removing whatever material you or the idiot who owned the car before you decided to put there.

6) "GooGone" the area under the material to remove any glue or gunk. Then use the rubbing alcohol.

7) Cut a piece of vinyl that will cover the area.

8) Tape off any areas directly touching the area to be glued. This prevents you from getting glue on them.

9) Place a layer of glue on the surface to be redone. Yes the entire surface (be smart here if you are doing something huge then do it in sections). That being said the door panel inserts and pockets can all be done in one shot. I use foam brushes to apply the glue. If you are rich or have one laying around the professionals use spray guns.

I am not sure what the name of the glue I use is. I buy it from an upholstery store in town. I can find the name and post it later. Here is a picture of it... He calls it "Yellow Glue" for obvious reasons.

10) A very important step WAIT. Yes wait about 10 minuets for the glue to setup. This is important not just so the fabric sticks but also because when the glue sets up it releases gases. When those gases get stuck under the vinyl they from bubbles. (Not Cool)

11) Lay the vinyl. The glue is very workable and fairly forgiving. Good luck!

Finished Pocket
          Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Interior

The insert is not so easy...

12) The area under the insert is a wood matrix which is not smooth like the plastic under the pocket. Because of this I was advised to use a pad under the vinyl. So I tried it and Failed miserably. The process for laying the pad is the same as laying the vinyl. The pad goes on EASY. The only thing you have to be careful of is not using excess glue because it does bleed through unlike the vinyl. The pad I used was a 1/4 inch headliner pad (it is kinda expensive at $20 a yard)

Looks good right... Well look at how bad I did laying the vinyl

13) If at first you don't succeed try, try again. Well I ripped off the expensive pad and tried it without it. I followed the steps outlined above for laying the vinyl for the Pocket. Here are some pictures.

14) When you are done gluing and making sure you have no air bubbles take a flat head screwdriver and begin to tuck the vinyl into the gap. When finished use a SHARP utility knife to cut the extra fabric from the insert.

YOU ARE DONE !
            Side by side good/bad/ugly

If you have a spray gun I would encourage you to try the pad. From what I have been told the reason why mine failed is because I did not have a completely
            Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Interior

I found a great upgrade for the door panels. Cord... Literally cord. 14 gage low energy landscaping wire to be precise, and it fits Perfectly!!! Here are some pictures.

Sorry for the size of the next two.

Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Interior

__________________________________________________ ____
                Picture of it almost all back together
                __________________________________________________ ____

Interior:
                -----Black and gray FTMFW!

Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 11-07-2008, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Interior

Please do not post Yet!!!

Reserved for later posts........

Comment

Interior

Reserved for later posts.........

Comment

Interior

Reserved for later posts..........

Comment

Interior

Reserved for later posts...........

Comment

Interior

Reserved for later posts............

Comment

Interior

Reserved for later posts.............

Comment

Interior

Reserved for later posts..............

Comment

Interior

Reserved for later posts...............

Comment

Working...
                                X