JDM 2002-2006 honda integra steering wheel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM 2002-2006 honda integra steering wheel swap

Just picked up this steering wheel and will be swapping it in once I get the cd5 steering column parts.

Last edited by kseriescivic; 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM.

What do the airbag connectors look like? Is that one a single stage or a dual stage airbag?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      What do the airbag connectors look like? Is that one a single stage or a dual stage airbag?
      I think it's single stage.

In the ebay ad it said no airbag inside...I wasn't planning on getting a wheel with an airbag since my car doesn't have them anyways.
      Last edited by kseriescivic; 03-07-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I forgot you have a '90. That's probably best, then. I really like that wheel. I have a '04-'08 TSX steering wheel for mine. It's similar to the 7th generation Accord wheel, but with perforated leather and silver accents around the cruise/volume switches. The Accord and TSX both have dual-stage air bags, so I have to get the sir bag from a UK Accord that will fit that wheel that's single stage. The airbag isn't any good if it won't work properly when I need it to.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Is that a vinyl wheel?

Two cents, for people considering the swap: the same wheel+airbag/horn design was used in multiple cars, so you do have options for aesthetics, materials, and features:

- USDM RSX - black or gray leather, black or gray dual-stage airbag, cruise control, 'A' badge
          - JDM DC5 ITR - leather, single-stage airbag, no cruise, red 'H' badge, embossed "Momo"

The DC5-R steering wheel is a single-stage SRS airbag system. The harness connector is in no way compatable with the USDM airbag module. The USDM airbag module is a dual-stage inflator system with two plugs on the rear of the inflator assembly (metal canister) for the two seprate squib charges.

Given this, it is apparent the DC5-R SRS system was never designed for the high speed/severe crash regime - whereas the USDM system was designed for moderate and severe impacts. You could view the second charge in the inflator module as a "booster" to the airbag system. From what I have read in the past, these systems tend to operate by deploying at around 3/4 their possible force and adding in the second charge if the speed is high enough, crash is severe enough, etc. There may be other variables, and our system could fire both a few ms apart, but this is the best I can do just looking at them.

Now, the interesting thing is that the inflator modules (the big silver thing with the plugs the the back of the airbag unit - to put it in simpler terms ) for both the ITR steering wheel and the RSX have the same external diminsions, including the bolt holes. The USDM module is slightly thicker, by only a few mm.

My idea is that the only way around this is to swap airbag inflator modules. For those that are not aware, the inflators are seperate assemblies from the actual air bag and steering wheel cover. The only problem is that they use an odd-shaped bolt, but again they are only BOLTS (three of them). I have an S15 Silvia unit that actually just uses regular hex bolts to hold in the inflator - nothing special at all. I will attempt to remove the ITR inflator, take some measurements, and look more closely at the unit. Maybe I can still use the ITR steering wheel, and keep my dual-stage airbag.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=515686
          - USDM EP3 Civic Si - leather, cruise control, black 'H' badge
          - JDM/EDM EP3 CTR - leather, no cruise, red 'H' badge, I've seen with and without embossed "Momo"
          Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-09-2017, 09:08 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I think it's vinyl.

90-91 cb7 steering columns are skinnier than 92-93. The easiest option is to cut the spline from a cd5 column and weld it on the to 90-91column. A cd5 column mounts the combination switch assembly too close to the dash.

Here it is installed with a black dash

Last edited by kseriescivic; 04-06-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kseriescivic View Post
              I think it's vinyl.

90-91 cb7 steering columns are skinnier than 92-93. The easiest option is to cut the spline from a cd5 column and weld it on the to 90-91column. A cd5 column mounts the combination switch assembly too close to the dash.

Here it is installed with a black dash

I need this in my life. Where'd you get that wheel? S2000 right?
              I want a cool looking wheel with cruise control buttons on it...
              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
              X