How hard is it to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard is it to....

...replace the front wheel bearings on a 92? Looking into buying another accord and it will need to make about a 500 mile trip back home, and the current owner says that they should be replaced before taking it home.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 6.5. It's a good pain in the ass, but defiantly do-able. Taking the spindles off is never fun, especially without an impact, since the axle nut is hella torqued down and ball joints like to spin, then once it's off of there it's a good amount of prying and banging.

Comment

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
      ...replace the front wheel bearings on a 92? Looking into buying another accord and it will need to make about a 500 mile trip back home, and the current owner says that they should be replaced before taking it home.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
      Do they hum when you drive it? What is his reason for saying they need to be replaced?

If you have a junkyard near by, it is probably easiest to get a complete hub off of an accord from there. That's what I did with my prelude. You don't have to disassemble the entire wheel to do it, just take the axle nut off, all the brake parts (rotor, caliper, etc), and from there it's pretty easy. The hardest part is getting a socket for the axle nut (i want to say 1 1/4 in? Not sure.) and then getting the screws out of the rotor. I have one of those impact screwdrivers that you hit with a hammer to get mine off. You also have to torque the axle nut back down, so you will nee a suitable torque wrench.

All in all, I'd agree with 6.5 or 7 out of 10.
      1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

definetly atleast a 7 out of 10. Very time consuming and there is a good chance of messing somthing up.

Comment

It took me about 2-3 hours per side to do. Getting the bearing race off the hub is a pain, you have to cut it off without scoring the hub, then you have to press the new one back on, etc, etc.

Definitely try and get the complete hub assembly to avoid all th at.
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Yeah..started looking through my manual and the one I downloaded...doesnt seem that difficult. If I do it..ill just replace the hubs..instead of pressing out the bearings and stuff. The hubs are just bolted on..and since I have all the necessary tools already...it shouldnt be too difficult. Ive rebuilt the driver's side axle before...so this couldnt be much more difficult...if any. That was a real PITA and Ill never do it again. Ill just replace the whole axle next time...LoL

And this is on a car that Im currently looking to purchase...the current owner said that its loud when it drives and he took it to his mechanic and they told him the bearings need to be replaced.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X