first race weekend with the H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first race weekend with the H22

I made it to barber and after helping work registration I found there was still plenty of room in the paddock. I found a good spot near some friends and got unpacked, tires changed, and called it a night.

The next morning I headed back up to registration to get the rest of the NASA crew signed in and any other information they needed. That was over quickly and I went back to the paddock to get ready for morning practice.

I decided that I wanted to make the most of some old tires and was going to use them up for practice and depending on how they felt for qualifying and the race too. They were ok, but no longer near the same grip as my newer tires and I was going from push to oversteer and back to push in several corners. I dont know if others were also using old tires too but I managed to have the second fastest time in the lighting group.

Qualifing went well as I headed out at the very tail of the group, taking a very easy warm up lap to give myself room before I caught up with traffic. It worked out well as I got in 3-4 laps almost traffic free and was able to take third overall time.

While griding for the race, a couple of my competitors noticed the order was not what we had decided in the racers meeting. But by that time there was nothing we could do to change it. The fastest group of cars would be the last to take the green flag. I knew I would have to get a good start or risk being caught up in the spec miata field that was now starting right in front of us. I did and passed almost ten before turn one, trying my best to keep up with the 350z that out qualified me. I was unable to make a treat for the lead but had a blast and took home second overall.

Sunday started off as hot as saturday and I quickly ran out of water, but the car was good to go. I went out for qualifying again and again took third overall in qualifying.

But this race was different, there was a semi-pro driver starting in front of me in a playboy cup miata. I was a little slow on the start and both the miata and 350 pulled a small gap on me. I had a good seat to watch them race each other and was quickly back on their heels. After only a couple laps the 350 driver made a mistake and went wide through turn one giving me second place. It was still early in the race and I didnt want to burn the tires off my car so I settled into a rhythm. But not much later I saw the miata was pulling a small gap on me each lap. This could not be, I put my head down and started driving harder. I knew he went faster in qualifying and should have a better balanced car but I didnt care. I pushed hard and saw that he was having a little more trouble than me making it through the traffic, this just fuel my fire to catch him. I looked down at my stopwatch/timer and saw I was running out of time, I had to catch him soon or the race would be over. I caught a break as he was approaching lap traffic coming up on the front straight, I got a huge run onto the front straight and as he was passing the lap car I pulled inside to make it three wide. As I do the white flag comes out, I have to make the pass stick. I get him into turn one but he dives back inside into turn two, we run door to door through two and three. I pull ahead on the next straight and he never got close enough to make a move back on me. I got to be the first to take the checker, what a feeling.

here is saturdays race, unfortunately on sunday the battery went out about half way through
    http://www.vimeo.com/4991053
    1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
    newer race video,older race videos
    1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
    1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Absolutely bitchin.

I wish I had your licenses...

I think you should post what you have of Sunday's race too.

What mods are done to the car besides the swap? I forget what the rules say about H2. Isn't it pretty much just a stock swap with weight reduction etc?
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

VERY NICE! Looks like fun.
      93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
        What mods are done to the car besides the swap? I forget what the rules say about H2. Isn't it pretty much just a stock swap with weight reduction etc?
        motor is internally stock, just added a header, lightweight flywheel, and lightweight crank pulley. And then a good tune. I really need to get a final drive now that it revs to 8000. I didnt even touch fifth gear at that track, but Im going to wait until after the race at Charlotte/ Lowes speedway/roval we are running July third.

Comment

Very, very cool. Good job on getting off the street and onto the track.

Sticking it to those spec miatas and bimmers.

Comment

Got any pics of the car????

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
            1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
            1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

Congrats man, makes me wanna put my car on the track.

the sedan
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=134302
              the wagon
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150426
              the integra
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=160603

Comment

what final drive you plan on using?
                Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

NASA is doing Lowes? Insane. Bruton Smith seems way to proud of that track.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by StinkinLincoln View Post
                    Got any pics of the car????
                    I am waiting for pics from this weekend to surface, they are taking longer than normal

Originally posted by jimmybean21 View Post
                    Congrats man, makes me wanna put my car on the track.
                    do it

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
                    what final drive you plan on using?
                    Im not sure yet I have to run a couple other tracks first to do some testing, this is one of the lowest top speed tracks we run

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                    NASA is doing Lowes? Insane. Bruton Smith seems way to proud of that track.
                    it is a friday only event, as the cost to rent the track are more reasonable then on the weekend

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                    Very, very cool. Good job on getting off the street and onto the track.

Sticking it to those spec miatas and bimmers.
                    I have been telling people that this is the way to do it. So much more fun and no worries about tickets and less worries about some dumb ass pulling out in front of you

Comment

How much are just spectator tickets for the 3rd? and info on it, I would love to come out and watch it.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                      "The Turtle"
                      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

car is still in pieces but I will be at LMS on friday, gate fee is $10.

You need to go to the back of the track entering gate P off morehead road and sign in just outside the tunnel at gate 26,

I will be in the garage but I dont know what space yet, It will be a busy day with two races and four total track sessions but stop by and say hi.

Comment

I'll try to make it up there, I work 9-5ish that day. That I'll have to beg my parents due to this damn ticket Times?

"The Turtle"
                          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

first race is 10:50 am second race is 1:30pm,

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2009JulLMS.pdf

Comment

If I come It'll be around 2, gonna bring my girl and watch the races. If you need any help before then hit me up on my cell (704 526 5671).
                              Edit: btw names chris and what races are you in?

"The Turtle"
                              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Working...
                              X