Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 SE Speaker whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 SE Speaker whine

I bought my CB7 last year, I noticed the speakers in the rear had a high pitched whine coming from them. I just unplugged them and didn’t think about it till I was ready to replace the speakers. Which I did today, the speakers both old and new have this high pitched sound coming from them. The car is a 93 SE with the nose system, however when I got the car it had a after market head unit and after market rear speakers. I replace the stereo with something newer and decided I would replace the rear speakers also. This did not fix the whine noise coming from the rear speakers. I’ve read it could possible be the Bose system still causing this some how. Does anyone have or had this issue? Please help!

Do you know if the Bose system was bypassed or removed? I wouldn't expect most aftermarket units to be compatible with the Bose amplifier. In a coupe, the amp is located in the right quarter panel behind the rear seat side panel. On an SE coupe I rescued, the Bose system was toast, so I removed the amp and jumped all the wires so that I could use an OEM EX or LX radio.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I am not sure if anything with the Bose system has been messed with, if I had to guess it’s all still installed. The head unit works just fine, and the front stock 4”..... speakers work just fine. The rear replacement speakers make the high pitch noise though. Is there a forum for bypassing or complete Bose removal of the amp?

Comment

I'd start by pulling the radio and looking at what was done to connect to the car harness. Then pull the right quarter inside panel (in the passenger compartment) and see what was done with the Bose amp.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I just rewired the connector into my new kenwood adaptor. It was only spliced from the original from what I can tell. I’ll have to look for the Bose amp in the morning I’ll let you know what I find.

Comment

Whine is always a speaker wire running over a power wire or too close. If it's only the rear, follow them both up to the front. Somewhere along the way they lay on top of some form of power wire. The same can happen if the unit is not properly grounded but that's usually all the speakers doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Whine is always a speaker wire running over a power wire or too close. If it's only the rear, follow them both up to the front. Somewhere along the way they lay on top of some form of power wire. The same can happen if the unit is not properly grounded but that's usually all the speakers doing it.
              How would I know where or what is a power wire? Does anyone have a diagram?

Comment

Assuming you are using the OEM speaker wires this issue is going to be up by the passengers feet area. Either the back of the stereo or in that area. Have an amp too?

Comment

So I plugged the rears in again today, the high pitch is intermittent. However, when I put the balance of the system to the rear the speakers were very weak, and if in attempted to turn them up it became distorted. I took apart the back and found the amp, now I need to figure out how to bypass it.. any ideas? I would like to be able to add new speakers to the front also but I feel anything after market it going to have the same issue as the rear. Also does anyone know how to make the front fit 6.5” I have like 4” in there now.

Comment

Ahh. Ok .

Step 1. Find a friend who knows stereos
                    Step 2. Have them come and look at your setup

Comment

Haha I like it. It’ll most likely be a shop unfortunately don’t know many stereo guys. Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

haha, cool man. Best of luck. I said what i said as this could be a real easy fix but you may spend too much time on this.

Comment

If you can find an OEM service manual, it will have a wiring diagram for the Bose system. As originally configured, all the speakers are driven by the amp. To convert to 6.5 inch speakers in the front, you can get the speaker "baskets" from an LX to replace the SE speaker pods.

Comment

agree with manual if you have one

or

you can see what colors each speaker uses and try and locate those on the amp - hopefully they match up

or

spend the time and pull you interior and rewire the speakers. also take time to check your ground for your stereo

id just rewire myself .. i know that its done properly and bypass all previous install / uninstalls

be a good time to run some rca's and a power wire too

Comment

I still have the OEM Bose system and have experienced alternator whine but only while I use the Bluetooth adapter that's plugged into an aux jack I had wired into the head unit. I tried a few things and the easiest fix seems to be a noise filter that I've plugged in between the aux jack and Bluetooth.

In your car since it's coming from the rear speakers my guess is the power amp in the trunk is failing. Or if you're lucky a bad ground exists either between the amp and/or head unit. Unfortunately the Bose amps are long gone now but if you want a referral for someone who specializes in repairing these systems I'd recommend Willmans Electronics.

Otherwise you might try a ground loop nose isolator or an Inline Power Noise Suppressor Filter... hope this helps
                              My Collection:
                              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Working...
                              X