Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Function & Form type 2 coilovers gone wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Function & Form type 2 coilovers gone wrong

So, 93 Accord LX.
    Went to put my coilovers in with my father for some father son bonding time on fathers day.
    He loved it,
    Up until the strut in the rear driver side, was giving some pain.

Now I’ve gotten the front two in, fine, sitting pretty high up to set in before I try lowering at all. Wanna get the springs broken in before the bad roads around here just tear it up and tear my car up lowered.

The strut, driver side rear,
    Was giving us a hell of a day.
    The pin, that goes through a welded on nut to hold the strut in place right behind the rotor,
    Was stuck.
    Tried for a good two hours hammering, getting better leverage to ratchet.
    Would not budge,
    Finally pulled the impact out that had no right being there,
    And it popped loose....
    Just to not be able to pull out.
    So after messing with that even longer we decided we’d just try and find a new bolt and nut and new rubber grommet to fit in there.

My post here is to ask if anyone has had this issue, and can help me find exactly the rubber, and hardware needed to hold the strut to the rotor area.
    Totally a newb on cars,
    Just know what I know from experience. Thank you for reading, hope you can help.

If the bushing was damaged, you’ll need to press a new one in. It’s not a good time. Moog makes a decent bushing replacement. As for the bolt itself, I’m not sure where to find that. Search online Honda parts dealers. If they don’t have it, they should at least show a part number.

When reinstalling, be sure the shock body is perfectly straight, and use a Jack (I prefer the stock scissor jack) to lift the whole assembly until it lines up.

Comment

You can get a stock replacement rubber bushing but then your going to need a press and other things. If you just cut the bolt on both sides, you can get the shock off then drop out the shot center of the bushing. If you want to upgrade to poly bushings now would be the time.

Take a dremel and sand out the remaining rubber in the retaining ring of the original bushing. DO NOT CUT THIS OUT!

Order Energy Suspension or Prothane Front Upper Control Arm Bushings. Something like $30-40 for a set.

Use 2 of the 4 bushings and insert them into the original bushing retaining ring. You can do this with simple hand tools as they press in slightly and then the sleeve slides through them, no press required, which means you don't have to remove the knuckle as well.

These bushing won't deform and sag like stock rubber bushing do and will give the car a bit of an upgraded feel.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Yep, been here. Hacksaw in hand for 3 hours cutting each side of the bolt.

Comment

I found that for the energy suspension bushings where you have to press out its always easier to burn the rubber off with a propane torch. Comes right off.

Comment

yupp the notorious lower strut bolt, we have all been there.
            but once it is fixed you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I did exactly like Rilas described & it was very effective.

The way I did it to removed the initial rubber bushing was with a hole saw
            that was about the diameter of the whole rubber bushing. once the hole saw
            cut all the way through I took a Dremel like Rilas said & just removed the
            remaining pieces of rubber.

You'll figure it out!

oh yeah, also you can use the trick with a long threaded bolt with washers
            stacked on each side of the bushing then tighten both ends of the bolt
            with two nuts to compress the bushing into place. works like a charm.
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Y’all are awesome

This is exactly the replies I’ve been hoping for,
              Is anyone able to find a link or knows a spot to order the new bushing for the strut?
              I need both rear strut bushings, and new bolts.
              I’m having an impossible time finding and figuring out the thread and finding it online.

Comment

Well for the bolts I would just buy new ones from:

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Dang it, I cannot remember which bushing part number exactly that you use,
                because I think it is not even for the strut but it happens to be the same
                exact size if you leave the metal ring in there from the OEM bushing.

I am sure if you read through all the posts that mention replacing that strut
                bushing you will find it. It is an Energy Suspension bushing.

I found the link I used years ago to do mine.: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196407

** Quote from HenRoc, "upper control arm bushings from Prothane to replace the rear lower shock bushings in the rear spindles."**
                Last edited by G. Wiffington; 08-01-2020, 10:48 AM.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

The bushings are the Energy Suspension Front Upper Control Arm Bushings or Prothane Front Upper Control Arm Bushings.
                  MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
                  X