CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 08-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #21
Andryzzle
CB7tuner Member

Andryzzle is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Andryzzle
mind forwarding or posting that email?

Having the VTEC work on soley the intake side isn't a terrible thing. The cooler intake air will reach a choked flow condition much sooner than the hot exhaust. I don't remember the equation but I remember the concept from IC engines class. That's the reason behind intake valves being larger than exhaust valves.

Anyway, deevergote makes a very valid point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Honestly, every engine we can easily put in our cars can be boosted to make more than enough power for a street-driven car in stock form (until the ringlands break, or some catastrophic event occurs due to poor tuning or abuse.) 250-300whp is PLENTY of power for a daily-driven FWD car, especially one with an open differential, and every one of the popular engines can do that.
Andryzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #22
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
It's true that hot air has more energy, so it will be flowing from the exhaust ports more quickly than it's flowing in. The increased intake flow probably makes for a well-mixed air/fuel mixture. I'm sure that's what Honda had in mind when they designed the engine. However, Honda's intentions are for stock operation. Modification changes everything.

AEM TruTime cam gears (H22A), DSM 450cc injectors, Eaton M45 superchrager

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #23
Andryzzle
CB7tuner Member

Andryzzle is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Andryzzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Modification changes everything.

So true. That's why it's good to have a plan for what you want out of your engine before you go throwing parts at it because so and so did it on theirs and it it gave them xxx whp.
Andryzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #24
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Yeah, the WORST thing to do when modifying an engine is to follow someone else's lead blindly. If you don't understand what you're doing, and why, then you shouldn't be doing it.

The same goes for following the advice of anyone in the internet.
If toycar decided to build an F22B1 based on his argument, I wouldn't think any less of him... because he's done research, and he understands what he's doing... better than I do. Same with any *shudder* "G22* build. People like PR CB7 can build those engines because they have the knowledge and experience to do so... and they have some understanding of whatever benefits the hybrid will provide (I have yet to understand it myself... I see no benefit whatsoever.)
If you have enough knowledge to argue with me (intelligently) when I say something is a bad idea, you're on the right track. My word isn't gospel. However, those that know too little to successfully build a hybrid engine will probably assume that I'm right, and their lack of knowledge means they can't possibly argue. Those people would only end up getting themselves in a mess with the swap. THAT is why I tell every noob that comes along asking "can I do this?" regarding headswaps that it's a terrible idea.

The bottom line is... know what you're doing. Inside and out. Research the crap out of something before you buy a single part, or touch a single tool. You will still have PLENTY to learn as the project progresses... but equip yourself with as much knowledge prior to beginning a project. You will save lots of time, money, and frustration... and have a much better end result to show for it.

Keep in mind... research and collecting knowledge doesn't mean all you have to do is post a question on a forum and expect people to deposit knowledge in your head. Read websites, buy books, compare part descriptions and understand what the differences mean.

AEM TruTime cam gears (H22A), DSM 450cc injectors, Eaton M45 superchrager

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu , f22 , swap

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: