JDM headlight restoration and chrome trim fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM headlight restoration and chrome trim fix

okay so I had a foggy driver headlight and I wet sanded it and used a solution....Now it looks brand new on the outside! And I was also missing chrome trim so I used that tail light stuff from autozone to make it look OEM, it's looking sexy!!!

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

matches pretty good with the old trim
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

definitely! Looks brand new

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Did the kit come with the sand paper?

And not what grit did you use, i need to touch mynes up. The clear on they lenses is beging to peal.

Thanks in advance, and Dam bro those lights look freaking clean and nice job on the solution for the trim. My old 90-91 JDM lights would of gotten the same trim as passenger aude was chipping.

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

Kit???? Lol I pieced it together head to autozone soon the solution is buy one get the other half off, the grit is 2000, and the trim is like 12 bucks, i will post pics of what I did with the spare chrome

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Good to see attention to detail and restoration to JDM headlights.

It's unfortunate that the corner pieces are so delicate. It seems as if neglected packaging often cause these trims to break during transit.

---

Since this is a DIY, I'd like to add some info here from my own experience...

If your chrome trim is broken without missing pieces, you can repair it with a little JB Weld, small piece of ABS plastic, and a rotary tool w/ cutting discs.
            • First remove the trim and carefully cut into the BACK of the trim, on both sides of the break. The point is to make a small indentation for JB Weld to cure and secure the two parts together.
            • Next, fill both sides of your indentation with JB Weld. Reinforce the joint with a small piece of ABS plastic, or a stiff piece of wire. Cover the reinforced joint with a little more JB Weld. The joint and reinforcement should be covered with adequate epoxy - be as generous as you want here, because you're trying to fix the trim!
            • Finally, cast the joint with some masking tape. You don't want the JB Weld to drip and cure to other surfaces, so the masking tape will act as a cast to contain and secure your repair. You can ensure proper shape curing by putting the trim back on the headlight. Once 24 hours pass (JB Weld) or 12 hours (JB Quik), the newly secured joint should be cured. Remove the masking tape and admire your handywork!

Remember, when working with JB Weld, you can mix the epoxy and wait up to an hour or two before the mixture stiffens beyond playability. If you work with it as soon as you mix it, it will be very runny and difficult to manage. You're best off to mix it, wait an hour, and then go to work.

I would also like to add that the chrome trim can be REMOVED, if one chooses to do so, with a bleach bath. This makes repairs easier to mask, since the trim can be painted over in any color.
            Last edited by Joshy; 09-08-2011, 02:02 AM.
            My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

0.o woaaaah thats so detailed! The lights weren't shipped, I picked them up locally, thats how they were when I bought them for $135 These have been opened before and they need to be restored on the inside as well, a projector retrofit will make the lights look brand new! And Where do I get JB weld???

Ohh and total time spent on this was like 10 minutes lol

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitclean View Post
                0.o woaaaah thats so detailed! The lights weren't shipped, I picked them up locally, thats how they were when I bought them for $135 These have been opened before and they need to be restored on the inside as well, a projector retrofit will make the lights look brand new! And Where do I get JB weld???

Ohh and total time spent on this was like 10 minutes lol
                Ah! Good luck with your projector retrofit!

You can find JB Weld at most home improvement stores. You can also get it at automotive stores and even Wal-Mart.
                My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Thanks! Im looking at some cadi or BMW projectors at the moment

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

cutting the ends of the chrome trim into a 45° angle so they meet up at the corner might be an easy "finishing touch" but i agree, the universal trimming was a nice way to fix that, it really seems to match pretty well.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Oh wow that chrome trim looks great bro.

Im going to try this on my jdm headlights since mine are starting to look foggie.

CALI LIFE STYLE
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=145883

Comment

Sweet! post some pics!

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Working...
                          X