Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Having trouble starting my 92 sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble starting my 92 sedan

Hey guys I'm new and I've been really busy these last couple of months but I would like to start to try to get my car started. It's a 92 sedan ex 5spd Manual, the day it died which was around early December, I was really low on fuel a few days prior, and the day it died I had put gas in a few hours before it died. As I was leaving my friends house I pulled out of the driveway and about halfway down the block, RPMS dropped and it died, I tried starting it but it wouldn't go. I've recently changed the main relay but it still hasn't started. It cranks but does not start. So I've asked a few friends and I've compiled a list of what possibly needs to be replaced but keep in my Im a broke high schooler. Here's the list of things that could be the problem
    -Fuel Pump
    -Fuel Filter
    -Starter
    -Spark Plugs
    I would like to get a lot more opinions before I go out and waste more money on things that do not need replacing. Like I said above I'm a broke high schooler. Any advice helps thanks!
    Last edited by Deadstockdylan; 02-25-2017, 06:27 AM.

Originally posted by Deadstockdylan View Post
    Hey guys I'm new and I've been really busy these last couple of months but I would like to start to try to get my car started. It's a 92 sedan ex 5spd Manual, the day it died which was around early December, I was really low on fuel a few days prior, and the day it died I had put gas in a few hours before it died. As I was leaving my friends house I pulled out of the driveway and about halfway down the block, RPMS dropped and it died, I tried starting it but it wouldn't go. I've recently changed the main relay but it still hasn't started. It cranks but does not start. So I've asked a few friends and I've compiled a list of what possibly needs to be replaced but keep in my Im a broke high schooler. Here's the list of things that could be the problem
    -Fuel Pump
    -Fuel Filter
    -Starter
    -Spark Plugs
    I would like to get a lot more opinions before I go out and waste more money on things that do not need replacing. Like I said above I'm a broke high schooler. Any advice helps thanks!
    First thing I would do is check for spark, if there is spark then you can rule out coil or ignition issues. Having ruled out spark I would check for fuel, the easiest way is to turn the key and loosen the bolt from the fuel hose to the rail, if there is no fuel I would check the relay again(assuming that you actually tested the relay),then move to the filter and last the fuel pump. Fuel pumps fail due to normal wear but often due to not being cooled and lubricated enough because of constant low fuel levels, debris and contaminants clogging the filter will also cause it to fail prematurely. There are situations when fuel pumps are not being energized due to a short somewhere in the wiring or a loose pin in the distrution box in a case of a Lincoln an old friend had.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. If you run the tank too low, the pump can overheat and fail. If your pump is original (as many still are), then running it low could have killed it for good.
      Replacing the pump requires removing the fuel tank, which is not a fun task (especially if you live in an area where things get rusty.) Therefore, I suggest checking EVERYTHING else first. Crankshaft's advice is good. Follow that. Start with the cheap and easy stuff, and work your way up.

My money is on the pump, though. Unfortunately.

Comment

ignitor

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
        Its your ignitor. In the distributor. Very cheap. You're welcome

(pull your codes)

ignitor is code 15 I think

Comment

If you get no spark, make sure the cam is turning. How old is the timing belt?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post

ignitor is code 15 I think
            It's all listed in the thread marked "READ HERE FIRST" at the top of this section, too (not that anyone actually reads that first... but it's there!)

Comment

Check what codes it's throwing for sure bud

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                It's all listed in the thread marked "READ HERE FIRST" at the top of this section, too (not that anyone actually reads that first... but it's there!)
                yeah, I don't mind tho. I usually don't offer any technical advice but I remember all the headaches that ignitor caused me, even left me stranded at a light.

I got by by tapping the distributor for a while; it's all in my mrt. A member here saved me a lot of trouble, so if I can pass it on I assume I was right, because of no further responses on either, tho that would be good for the database

If I had checked the codes I would have known from the start.

Comment

Working...
                X