Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22a1 intermittent starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22a1 intermittent starting issue

I've owned my 93 lx for about 2 months. When got the guy that bought it from said that someone tried to steal the car. there was a key stuck in the ignition that was shaved and he couldn't get it out. I got it out after a week. So about a month ago it started having starting issues. It would click two or three times and then start it's progressively gotten worse. the car will start for me every time in the morning after just a couple clicks. It'll start for every break at work so it's pretty much set for two hours. But if I drive it for 45 minutes and then shut it off it won't start for some times about two hours and it'll click the whole time without even trying to start. I went to a parts store and it wouldn't start. I hooked my jump box. It still didn't start so the guy at the parts store tried hooking up his job box and it didn't start with that one either. the guy said my starter was really hot from trying to start it so he poured a bunch of water on it to cool off. After that it started after three clicks. I changed the starter motor but I didn't change the solenoid. Nothing change still wouldn't start. The guy tested my battery and he said that it was overcharged. I have about 15 feet of 2 gauge battery cables that I got from my work. I am going to change the cables. It looks like the cables have been changed already because they are a lot bigger than what I see on pictures of stock motor. I have a 1000 watt amp hooked up to 3 subwoofers and the lights barely dim when my radio turned up all the way. I would appreciate any help on what's wrong or any ideas of what I can try. is there ways to test everything as far as voltage goes for each particular part so I can narrow down what the possible problem could be. I can hear the main relay click every time. Oh yeah one more thing I was checking to make sure the spark plug wires were all plugged in while it was running and when I touched the distributor I got shocked pretty good.

If you got shocked by touching the distributor, I'd say you may have a grounding issue. Otherwise, I'd look into changing the ignition switch. Possibly even the cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      If you got shocked by touching the distributor, I'd say you may have a grounding issue. Otherwise, I'd look into changing the ignition switch. Possibly even the cylinder.
      I do have wire to replace my grounds. The wire that's in the car is larger then factory. The motor is way to clean. I think it's been replaced. Everything i look at has tamper seal on it. Likes its all either been replaced or at least messed with. The ignition switch makes sense though. The guy i bought it from said that someone tried to steal it. The key they tried to use was actually stuck in the ignition when i got it. There was one time where i couldn't get the key to even turn to start it. Sometimes it's hard to get the key out too. So I've been told that you can get the ignition cylinder off eBay. From my experience almost everything you buy on ebay is junk unless you go for the high dollar parts. It's that true in this case. I know sometime soon I'm gonna get stranded somewhere and it won't start no matter how long i wait to try to start it. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Also when you say grounding issue are you talking about all the grounds. I've read on here about the big 3 ground replacement. I was planning on doing it. Can you direct me to a thread that explains exactly how to do it. Thanks again.

Comment

Make sure the negative battery cable is well grounded to the transmission, I had starting problems with one of my because that connections was corroded and loose.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            Make sure the negative battery cable is well grounded to the transmission, I had starting problems with one of my because that connections was corroded and loose.
            It ended up being the solenoid...i feel stupid for changing only half the starter because ther other half was brand new. Thanks to everyone that responded... My advice is to not overlook something because it looks brand new... It's starting every time and that is the best feeling I've had since i bought the car. I can now move on to the mods.

Comment

Working...
            X