Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'S' Light on, crank no start. Officially stuck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'S' Light on, crank no start. Officially stuck.

So I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing this car. But now, I am officially stuck.
    It failed smog early last month and I had replaced the o2 sensor. It passed well and they fixed my timing a little.. let's just say I might've not stuffed my wiring well and the o2 sensor connector ripped apart lol.

So I drove it around a few days just loose wires and connections because I was busy with school. Going to work one day, I turned in the parking lot and the car just cut off! I rolled into a parking space and couldn't get it to start! I know it would start even without an o2 sensor plugged in.

Anyways, the Engine light was on (Code 1) and several TCM codes which were codes (1,2,3,7,8,14). That is wayyy too many codes out of nowhere. Shift solenoids were replaced last year, besides there can't be a way that both dies at once. Also replaced the TCM with another same numbered one from junk. Still 's' light, and infinite crank no start.

Haven't replaced ECU but I'm not getting any more engine codes since fixing the o2 sensor wiring and replugging it in correctly.

Already tried resetting the battery and ECU. Anytime I plug it in and turn the car 'ON', the 's' light automatically pops up. Already tried new main relay and tried resoldering my old one. But I did not reset the ECU or battery when I tried it with a brand new one.

Whole distributor including igniter was replaced a few months ago and the parts were relatively new.

Please let me know guys, I really need this pos

Did you replace the ignition control module ?

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I replaced the icm, igniter, and and everything inside the distributor. The replacements were from a junkyard but the parts were relatively new tbh. Looked like they were on the car for maybe weeks(aftermarket). But yes, the crank no start assumption is very similar to having a bad igniter/icm because mine had died after my engine rebuild and that is exactly why I replaced them months ago.

Comment

So you replaced everything with stuff from a junk yard? How do you know the parts are good? You could be adding to the issues.

But I'd start with what you have. If you have no check engine light or blinking S light, it implies you have a bad TCU.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=147424

If you have a blinking S , here are the codes. Keep in mind no blinks = 0 = faulty TCU.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=100343

The no start may not be related to the S light, but it may as this light can indicate other sensors are broke (crank sensor, O2, etc.). If you have spark, fuel, and O2, then I'd try to get a check engine light to appear.

Comment

I took the junkyard distributor apart and noticed the parts were relatively new. But it did solve my issue months ago. I'd have to find another distributor to test on my car before I'd by another one though :/. I'm troubled so many things happened at once.

I do have a feeling the no start may not have to do with the 's' light. But I've read up on all the tcu codes and they are similar to some posts I recall seeing but their solution did not work for me(tcu,main relay).

I have a 91 and a solid 's' light appears as soon as you turn the car to 'on'. I guess I just want it to start... As long as the tcu codes do not affect the ability to start, I'm probably going to try to find a distributor to test :/.

Comment

Ya, I'm not sure if a bad TCU will prevent the car from starting as well. Seeing as it can repot on several sensors failing I'm assuming the answer is yes. Everything here points to you have a bad TCU.

Best of luck.

Comment

Sorry, I've been gone. Busy with school and looking at other cars.
              But here was the solution.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=50449

If you don't want to read the whole thing. The TCU codes related to 1,2,3,7,8,14 will come up if you're ECU fuse is blown. Standard 10A red. Pretty logical since the PGFMI also runs through there.

Comment

Working...
              X