Acura TLX -Thoughts and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acura TLX -Thoughts and Discussion

Hello Everyone! I haven't posted in a while, but I want to kick off a discussion about the new Acura TLX. As the owner of a 2005 TSX, I've been pining to see the new bread-and-butter Acura sedan for months. It was finally unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show on January 13.

I honestly think the designers finally hit the sweet spot. The exterior is a vast improvement over the Batmobile-esque 4th-generation TL and businesslike 2nd-generation TSX.

The powertrain options are limited to a 2.4L I4 and 3.5L V6, both equipped with automatics. The 2.4 has a new dual-clutch box, and the 3.5 has a conventional slushbox. Interestingly, Honda incorporated a torque converter into its new DCT, presumably to smoothen traffic crawling and stop-and-go driving.

Deal breaker: no manual gearbox is mentioned in the press release. It appears I won't be trading in my aging TSX anytime soon. I honestly hope that there will be a manual option in the future; some of you may remember that the 4th-generation TL manual option came out months after the original car's unveiling. Perhaps this may happen again. My speculation is that, if they do end up offering it, it will either be available on the poverty-edition base 2.4, OR on the top of the line SH-AWD V6 - but definitely not both.

If Acura is limiting its manual offerings to that cheap-feeling ILX, I won't be shopping at an Acura store for a long time. With that being said, what do the rest of you think about the TLX?

Last edited by Nurega; 01-17-2014, 06:25 PM.
    Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
    2005 Acura TSX 6MT
    2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Personally I'm not feeling it. There was no wow factor when I first seen it. Design wise it looks like something Kia would put out, where they over thought it, over designed some areas while some areas look bla and leave you wondering . An example would be the chrome around the side windows but non around the back window. Or the very boring door and wheels. OMG, the wheels can make or break a car, and this is what they choose.

The front end would of wow'd people if they did something close to this. A front end like that makes people want to run and buy that car!!

And the car just looks like a giant ford turd. Trying to do the whole boat look thing....

So ya, I wasn't impressed. I just think they could of done more/better.

Comment

I think it looks awesome. Very simple, elegant design. No overwrought Hyundai style design. Just simple, sexy, and classy.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Personally I'm not feeling it. There was no wow factor when I first seen it. Design wise it looks like something Kia would put out, where they over thought it, over designed some areas while some areas look bla and leave you wondering . An example would be the chrome around the side windows but non around the back window. Or the very boring door and wheels. OMG, the wheels can make or break a car, and this is what they choose.

The front end would of wow'd people if they did something close to this. A front end like that makes people want to run and buy that car!!

And the car just looks like a giant ford turd. Trying to do the whole boat look thing....

So ya, I wasn't impressed. I just think they could of done more/better.
        Considering it looks very much like an evolution of the 3G TL, I am not sure how you can say it looks like a Hyundai/Kia.

Also, it is smaller than the Accord, which makes it MUCH smaller than the Taurus.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Nurega View Post
          Hello Everyone! I haven't posted in a while, but I want to kick off a discussion about the new Acura TLX. As the owner of a 2005 TSX, I've been pining to see the new bread-and-butter Acura sedan for months. It was finally unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show on January 13.

I honestly think the designers finally hit the sweet spot. The exterior is a vast improvement over the Batmobile-esque 4th-generation TL and businesslike 2nd-generation TSX.

The powertrain options are limited to a 2.4L I4 and 3.5L V6, both equipped with automatics. The 2.4 has a new dual-clutch box, and the 3.5 has a conventional slushbox. Interestingly, Honda incorporated a torque converter into its new DCT, presumably to smoothen traffic crawling and stop-and-go driving.

Deal breaker: no manual gearbox is mentioned in the press release. It appears I won't be trading in my aging TSX anytime soon. I honestly hope that there will be a manual option in the future; some of you may remember that the 4th-generation TL manual option came out months after the original car's unveiling. Perhaps this may happen again. My speculation is that, if they do end up offering it, it will either be available on the poverty-edition base 2.4, OR on the top of the line SH-AWD V6 - but definitely not both.

If Acura is limiting its manual offerings to that cheap-feeling ILX, I won't be shopping at an Acura store for a long time. With that being said, what do the rest of you think about the TLX?

Style wise, it is homerun. I really have no complaints there. I expect to see detail changes to production (side mirrors will be more conventional, and front/rear fascias will likely be slightly different). There may also be a bit more front overhang on the production car, although the Accord keeps this pretty trim too, so there might not be.

As for powertrains, they are actually quite state of the art. First, the 8DCT in the 4 cylinder is the first DCT to use a torque converter and put the clutches on the main shaft. The major advantage to this is that it allows the DCT to deliver much better off the line and low speed performance, because the torque converter can unlock, rather than having to attempt to slip the clutches all over the place. Once up to speed, the TC locks and the clutch packs take over from there.

The V6 is getting a 9AT from ZF, and this is also a cutting edge transmission. It is smaller/lighter than Honda's own 6AT and should provide shifts nearly as quick as a DCT (the 6AT is already fast). Hopefully, with Honda's Grade Logic, it won't be a transmission that just sits and hunts gears like GM's do.

Overall, with a size slightly smaller than the Accord, and 310+HP in the V6, I see the SH-AWD version being a fantastic car (the 4th gen was an amazing car let down by hideous styling). It may also be possible that there will be a 6MT for the 2nd year of production, as was the case with the last TL SH-AWD. Since Honda basically already has the transmission, it would seem silly to not use it. It is also possible that this car could shed a good 100-150lbs from the old car.

The only downside to using it to replace a 1G TSX is that it will be quite a bit larger/heavier than that.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

First of all. It's not bad, I actually like it from the pictures.
            I just hope it's not too small since it does replace both the TL and TSX.

It is great that Honda is FINALLY getting new transmissions for the vehicles. And both transmissions are the step in the right direction. It is great they have two powerband options. It does suck though, doesn't make a giant different but there is no exhaust tips, it is all concealed. Which is kind of a bummer.

I would hope they make a TLX Type-S model with a manual transmission, 7 speed manual would be nice with the SH-AWD in the V6 model. Now this is unlikely but if they added the hybrid system similar to in the RLX to the TLX "Type-S" that would be amazing for performance users. I don't see Honda putting a turbo on the V6 for a production model anytime soon. (As cool as that will be )

Have you guys seen the Acura CLX concept rendering by the Temple of Vtec (TOV)?
            It looks really nice and would be very cool if Honda would make it, and make it a full on M4 competitor with a turbo V6 and SH-AWD. But that's highly unlikely, but it's always fun to think.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1177513

Originally posted by Temple of VTEC
            Over the years, there have been rumors concerning whether or not Acura would ever revive the CL coupe. These rumors have continued on into recent years, though we've never heard anything concrete from reliable sources. Well, perhaps this gorgeous CLX coupe concept (clearly derived from the TLX Prototype that was revealed last week in Detroit) will be enough to convince the powers-that-be that it's again time for Acura to have a proper coupe in the lineup.

Imagine a CLX Type-S, with SH-AWD, a turbocharged 3.5L V6 (does 450hp sound good?), offered with your choice of either a 9-speed automatic transmission or a 7-speed manual transmission. At a lower price point, we could see an "entry level" high performance version sporting a ~300hp 2.0T, along with SH-AWD and 6MT or 7DCT. Of course there would be more mainstream versions offered, with milder 4- and 6-cylinder engine tunes.

Are we dreaming? Probably, but that's what Neal's TOV Fantasy Factory is all about.

Side note: It is VERY nice they are making a TLX GT race car to compete in the Pirelli series where it will compete against 911's, GT-R's, Corvette's, Ferrari's, etc.
            I hope some of that technology can be passed on to future Honda models. For those who do not know the TLX GT is a twin turbo V6 3.5L with a advanced AWD system (not SH-AWD).
            Last edited by CB7Nub; 01-28-2014, 02:56 AM.
            Current:
            2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
            1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
            1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

Working...
            X