Good alternative to Hmotorsonline for H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good alternative to Hmotorsonline for H22

I'm trying to stear this away from being a "where can I find thread" as much as possible. My problem is hmotorsonline is currently sold out of JDM H22As with the engine, ecu and transmission. I have searched this site and everyone says hmotors is the way to go. Thats the only reliable advice I have been able to find here. But being as they are out of stock currently and my engine started to knock and lose oil pressure tonight I need to find another source.

Again, I hate to make this thread but $2000-$2500 is a lot of money. On Youtube and various forums I have found videos, pictures and statements saying "don't buy engines from so and so." I already forked out a bunch of money on the F and now its sitting in my driveway down for the count.

Thanks in advance everyone.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Are you dead set on a jdm h22a? Most likely you will get an obd 2 version now anyways. Maybe look for an usdm h22a1/4 or h23?

Comment

This was back in 07, but the info here gives me the feeling that its hmotors or nothing.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=81539

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
        Are you dead set on a jdm h22a? Most likely you will get an obd 2 version now anyways. Maybe look for an usdm h22a1/4 or h23?
        I am kinda set on not having to do an OBD 1 conversion and all that. Below is the link to what I want. I was making good power out of my F22 but now that the engine has to be pulled I want to be happy after I spend the money and time to replace it. So Im thinking a stock or bolt ons H22 I would be content with.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30016

Comment

H23 vtec is also a semi decent option. I hear the rods are a weak point but if your just doing bolt on's then you shouldn't have any worries

Comment

H23V would be sick. I think the trouble with those is finding an OBD1 ECU; it would probably be better to have a P28/P06 chipped & tuned.

Plenty of people have received good engines from jdmenginedepot and jdmtigerjapanese. If you want to 'risk' buying from them, just look it over thoroughly before the install. Really, it is kind of pointless to move from one used engine to another no matter the reputation of the seller. If you can afford it, find an H22 for as dirt cheap as possible from anywhere - even call/look around the junkyards in your state, longblocks that way are super cheap - and do a proper rebuild (machine, piston rings, valve guides, bearings, gaskets, seals).

Regarding OBD status and HMO: For what it's worth I was sent a 1997 longblock, but it had all the necessary parts for an OBD1 install.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I'm currently preparing to swap my F out of my CB for an H22. I looked at Hmotorsonline and they were out of stock. So I checked eBay...got kinda scared so the next best thing was Craigslist. Found a 75k mile H22 for $500 with most of what you need for the swap. The guys accord got stolen while he was preparing to do the H swap himself and he was selling the engine for cheap to recoup his losses. Then I found an H22 with LSD tranny for $1k. All of which were fairly close to me.

I would say check Craigslist man. I would be very cautious though. You never know who you're dealing with man. So check Craigslist call your JY check with them and you'll find an engine for dirt cheap. I mean at some pick and pulls here in Dallas you can get a good engine or fairly decent engine that needs some mild work for like $50. So it all depends on how hard you're looking.

Comment

You can try Craigslist, much cheaper but you will have to do more work such as hone and new bearings possibly. Can cost as much or less in the end after certain parts are replaced but will take more time.
                Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

By the looks of your location I think it would be better to find a closer shop or something. HMO motors come with low miles and always turn out to be great motors. They do ship out I see them ship motors, parts & even RHD clips for other Hondas.
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199269 Current Coupe.

Instagram : moii_26

Playstation Network : el_tyrone

Comment

And just to clarify, the no "where can I buy" rule only applies to the beginners section.
                    Originally posted by Mishakol129
                    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Hmotorsonline is out of h-series motors this is a shock. Those motors must be dirt cheap.there is JDM motors over here and jdmnyc over here too. But you way out there.

Comment

I don't think they are out, they just don't have any OBDI with ECU. It is better to go chipped anyways.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter
                        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I know of 5 H22As (including my own) in Columbus ordered from tigerjapan that have had absolutely no issues. Oldest over 5 years ago and the most recent less then a month ago. In my personal experience they are an OK company and I'll be ordering an H22 LSD trans from them when I have the cash.
                          Last edited by EJX_Michael; 08-12-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppa694lyfe View Post
                            H23 vtec is also a semi decent option. I hear the rods are a weak point but if your just doing bolt on's then you shouldn't have any worries
                            I'm looking very closely at alternative swaps now. And the H23 vtec one at the top of my list.

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                            H23V would be sick. I think the trouble with those is finding an OBD1 ECU; it would probably be better to have a P28/P06 chipped & tuned.

Plenty of people have received good engines from jdmenginedepot and jdmtigerjapanese. If you want to 'risk' buying from them, just look it over thoroughly before the install. Really, it is kind of pointless to move from one used engine to another no matter the reputation of the seller. If you can afford it, find an H22 for as dirt cheap as possible from anywhere - even call/look around the junkyards in your state, longblocks that way are super cheap - and do a proper rebuild (machine, piston rings, valve guides, bearings, gaskets, seals).

Regarding OBD status and HMO: For what it's worth I was sent a 1997 longblock, but it had all the necessary parts for an OBD1 install.
                            I would prefer another engine such as the H23 vtec to be honest. But tuning where I live is a major issue.

I had the engine thats now blown up tuned at Humble Performance Tulsa. I had to have a friend with a dually truck and a goose neck trailer take the car and me out there to have it tuned. I got a Hondata P74 and a Delta 272 so cheap I could not pass it up. So I installed the cam and brought the ECU with me when we went to have it tuned. I could have drove it with the 272 but did not want to chance it. Plus I wanted to use the P74 with Hondata since I had it.

Its still an option for me to go that route again but its a head ache to orchestrate everything. And a lot of cash.

As far as rebuilding one I would like to stay away from that. I planned on KS manual tensioner, all timing components, all seals engine and trans, and all regular maintenance parts and along with a clutch kit. Then finding a USDM H22A1 ECU.

Its a gamble that way too but thats what I have seen most people do.

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                            I'm currently preparing to swap my F out of my CB for an H22. I looked at Hmotorsonline and they were out of stock. So I checked eBay...got kinda scared so the next best thing was Craigslist. Found a 75k mile H22 for $500 with most of what you need for the swap. The guys accord got stolen while he was preparing to do the H swap himself and he was selling the engine for cheap to recoup his losses. Then I found an H22 with LSD tranny for $1k. All of which were fairly close to me.

I would say check Craigslist man. I would be very cautious though. You never know who you're dealing with man. So check Craigslist call your JY check with them and you'll find an engine for dirt cheap. I mean at some pick and pulls here in Dallas you can get a good engine or fairly decent engine that needs some mild work for like $50. So it all depends on how hard you're looking.
                            I have looked at craigslist and locally there isnt anything appealing to say it lightly. I would go that route but as I stated before I really don't want to completely rebuild one. My local JYs are striped of H22s for now. And I know with 100% certainty I would have to rebuild one from a JY.

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                            You can try Craigslist, much cheaper but you will have to do more work such as hone and new bearings possibly. Can cost as much or less in the end after certain parts are replaced but will take more time.
                            If I had to rebuild one I would make it worth my time. Unfortunately that is not the project I really want right now. Its not that I cant to do it or can't afford to rebuild one its just that I don't want to.

But its looking more and more like its a possibilty. Either way its going to happen soon. I now have a large oil slick in my garage floor.

Originally posted by moes92CB7 View Post
                            By the looks of your location I think it would be better to find a closer shop or something. HMO motors come with low miles and always turn out to be great motors. They do ship out I see them ship motors, parts & even RHD clips for other Hondas.
                            I would like the swap from HMO. And shipping is no big deal. $2500 give or take sounds fair and is no problem as long as it runs once I put it in without issues. HMO having a great reputation and the fact that they say their engines have low miles sounds like what I'm after as I don't want to completely rebuild one.

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                            And just to clarify, the no "where can I buy" rule only applies to the beginners section.
                            Ok, thanks for informing me. I did not know that.

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                            Hmotorsonline is out of h-series motors this is a shock. Those motors must be dirt cheap.there is JDM motors over here and jdmnyc over here too. But you way out there.
                            A few locals here found it shocking aswell. I was told the H23 non-vtecs go out of stock from time to time but not the H22s.

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                            I don't think they are out, they just don't have any OBDI with ECU. It is better to go chipped anyways.
                            I'm going to give it until tomorrow after noon and then call them to make sure the websites information is up to date. I imagine HMO is on top of this really well but I want to make sure.

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post
                            I know of 5 H22As (including my own) in Columbus ordered from tigerjapan that have had absolutely no issues. Oldest over 5 years ago and the most recent less then a month ago. In my personal experience they are an OK company and I'll be ordering an H22 LSD trans from them when I have the cash.
                            I was looking at them and I was not disappointed. I found a few poor comments but nothing that turned me away.

As I said prior I'm going to give it until tomorrow afternoon. Then I'm going to look t other swap option from HMO or find a different supplier.
                            Last edited by 2winRB25; 08-13-2013, 02:38 AM.

Comment

I dunno, maybe its just me but I would rather buy a cheap ass, needs a rebuild crappy POS engine from someone or build one from scratch.

I've seen cylinder heads complete for $300 on ebay from quality sellers.

Engine blocks are around the same money shipped. If you find a used one with the rotational assembly it will be around that as well. $300-$450 for a shortblock needing rebuild is reasonable.

Thing is, I wouldn't go H22 unless I was going to build that bitch anyways. So I wouldn't want OEM valves/springs/retainers/pistons/rods and all timing components would get replaced with OEM goodness.

So, what do you really need here? Crank, block, head, pile of parts(possibly overnighted FROM JAPAN(I kid I kid))

I dunno. I'd rather build anything I was going to run and be proud of. So, I would rather buy that POS with a scored cylinder or turned bearing.

OR, I would buy an H22 prelude and gut/part that POS or swap IN your old F22 and then sell that MOFO to get your money back.
                              Originally posted by wed3k
                              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Working...
                              X