Car Grinding piping sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Grinding piping sound

Don't mind the the squeak that you hear at the beginning of the video. That was the Ac belt that cause that it wasn't tight enough i got that fixed. My car seems to be making a weird sound and i know its with piping maybe catalytic converter.

(Sound occurs towards the End)
    Watch here in this video: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ipingsound.mp4
    Does anyone know what it is? and if it is going to be a major issue for my car?

If its not a problem then whatever i'll just rock with it and leave it alone or replace just that part.

But, If it does come out to be a problem with the piping i was thinking about getting a ws2 apexi exhaust the whole system. what do you guys? What does it sound and look like on our Cds. I've youtubed videos but no go for cd5s but i got a gist of what it might sound like.

-Jaga
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...55#post2618755

Almost sounds like exhaust piping rubbing against the heat shield under the car...put the car up on jack stands, start it and see if you can see if it is.

My CB kind of sounded like that and that's what I did and found that to be the culprit.
    3 CB's gone....
    1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Time View Post
      Almost sounds like exhaust piping rubbing against the heat shield under the car...put the car up on jack stands, start it and see if you can see if it is.

My CB kind of sounded like that and that's what I did and found that to be the culprit.
      OP could also just grab the (NOT HOT) exhaust pipe and shake it around to see if it makes the noise then. Makes it a lot easier to track the sound down if you don't have to filter it through the engine noise.

Comment

Sounds like your catalytic converter heat shield has come loose. Mine makes the same sound, but thats because I have a Magnaflow Hi-Flow OEM Replacement and it is smaller than the OEM unit and the heat shield bounces around. With the exhaust cold, try to wiggle it, if it moves at all it will be able to make noise; it should be solid.
        1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
        C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
        MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
        ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
        You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Yup, I'mma go with exhaust noise. Mine makes a similar sound because someone replaced the cat with the wrong one, and it doesn't attack to the front bracket, just kinda sits on top of it, and rattles around against it.

Comment

yeah i think its the exhaust/catalytic converter but it doesn't seem to be much of problem. but in the meantime i'm saving just in case.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...55#post2618755

Comment

Working...
            X