What Kind Of Camber Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Kind Of Camber Kit?

My CD5 has a 2" drop in the front and a 1.75" drop in the rear.
    What Camber Kit brand would be a good one for my drop?
    Thanks

Ingalls...

Comment

Depending on if you have larger rims than stock or not you may not need one. I would say just get a good alignment done and make sure they print the after specs for you. Then you will know how much your out by.

I am approx 2.5" in the front and 2" rear and my camber is a hair over -2 degrees all around except one rear wheel that is -1.8 for some reason.
      My tires wear petty even but they are 15's and the sidewalls flex a bit. If you have 17" wheels you might notice more camber wear.

As everyone always says, toe is the most important thing to correct.

If you do feel you must get one, I would only bother with the front, and get one that only adjusts by 1.5 degrees and don't even set it all the way. If you try and correct it fully you will likely have your upper control arm top out and hit your fender well over big bumps. Just correct as much as you can so it barely clears.

If it was me I would live with the camber, it wont hurt you much if at all.
      Last edited by SleepyG; 10-27-2010, 04:01 AM.

Comment

What is the best TYPE of camber kit ?

Adjustable upper ball joint ?

Adjustable Upper "A" arm mounts ?

This would be quality kits on a non lowered car.

Comment

The different types do exactly the same thing.

The best way to determine which type is best is to ask whoever is going to be doing the alignment which they prefer. Many seem to favor the ball joint type over the anchor bolt type (there are no "full A arm kits"... those full kits have either adjustable ball joints, or adjustavle anchor bolts.)

On a lowered car, I believe the CD is no different than the CB... and a full camber correction will result in the control arm hitting the inner fenderwell.

On a stock-height car, camber correction should not be necessary, unless the car has been damaged or you want to add positive camber (which really makes little sense...)

Comment

SleepyG- I'm on stock 15" rims and idk how far my camber is off?
            The thread is going bald on the inside of the tires.
            How off is my camber?
            How did u fix ur alignment?
            All these places say my car is to low get get on the ramp.

Comment

If your car is NOT lowered, it is unlikely that camber is the problem, and especially if the wear is very concentrated on just the inner edge. It is much more likely that your toe is set improperly. If the two tires are toed out a bit, that will cause severe wear on the inner edges of the tires. Obviously you're gonna need new tires, but you also need to get to an alignment shop, have them give the front end an inspection to be sure that your ball joints, and tie rod ends are in good shape, and then have it realigned. I'll be that your toe is significantly off right now.

Comment

I'm having the same problem on a non-lowered car. Funny thing is that I replaced some old Michelins with Falkens (cheap ones). The Michelins did not have this wear problem but the Falkens are showing inside cords after about 25,000 miles. Both sides are worn exactly the same amount. I can see a bit of negative camber hence the question.

Want pics ?

Comment

I am almost certain what you guys are experiencing is toe wear, not camber wear.

It's true some shops cannot accomodate lowered vehicles. I was lucky because theres a shop 10 minutes from me that does 3D image laser alignments for $80! And they have extra ramps to accomodate cars 1" off the ground!

Look around and see if any other alignment shops can do it. A shop that specifically does alignments is best. Usually they can print you after specs so you can see for yourself how much your camber is out by.

My guess for the OP is that he sits roughly -1-1.5 degrees out, but thats a GUESS.

Like Deeve said, you can get yourself into more trouble messing with camber kits over just living with mild camber wear.

There are these upper arms, but I bet they will still top out at the fender well so I wouldnt bother. http://www.bbn-performance.com/chtefradcaki.html

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote;2654604]The different types do exactly the same thing.

The best way to determine which type is best is to ask whoever is going to be doing the alignment which they prefer. Many seem to favor the ball joint type over the anchor bolt type (there are no "full A arm kits"... those full kits have either adjustable ball joints, or adjustavle anchor bolts.)

QUOTE]

Wrong Deev,

do they exist, you just slap in a stock upper balljoint and away you go

http://www.bbn-performance.com/chtefradcaki.html

Haven't seen them in use, but they're designed like all the others and they're tubular. Also, they come from a company that makes air suspension equipment I believe

Comment

Someone buy them and try them out. Let us know if you can fully correct your camber and not top the upper arm out on the fender.

Then I will order them

Comment

Interesting. That's a new one to me! Same concept, but it basically turns a stock ball joint into an adjustable one. A pretty good idea, as long as they don't break!

It's TREAD, not THREAD.

Anyway, improperly aligned toe, as well as improper tire inflation will both lead to uneven wear. If a non-lowered car is experiencing camber wear, then I would suggest replacing suspension components (sagging springs, blown shocks... they can make a car sit lower, which would introduce negative camber.) Also, be sure your car hasn't been damaged. A bent frame may also result in improper camber.

Comment

I got a question for yall, Well I have 18inch rims and they are 225/40/18 will i need a camber kit? I am about to be droped on coilovers tein basics all the way around.. I need to know before I put them on thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyG View Post
                            Someone buy them and try them out. Let us know if you can fully correct your camber and not top the upper arm out on the fender.

Then I will order them
                            I have these on my other Wagon:

They work great and the alignment guy was like, 'cool a-arms'.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Do they hit when set to 0 degrees?

Comment

Working...
                              X