Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

rear turn signal doesnt work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear turn signal doesnt work

i have a 1992 wagon. the rear turn signal on the driver side is not working. the turn lights are working on the front part of the car. the passenger side is fine. when i do shift the lever, it blinks faster than normal on the driver side on the dashboard. the lights for a left turn (driver side) on the front do blink faster than normal. the passenger side (right) is fine. the brake lights are operating fine. occasionally, i will get a 'brake lamp' light on while driving the car; however, the brake lights on both sides are operating.

the bulb for both the turn signal and brake light on both sides are in good condition. the wiring and socket appear in good shape with no corrosion. i have examined all the fuses that would affect this and see no damage.

recently, i replaced the gaskets for both tail lights using craft foam (via tutorial on this site- thanks guys!), replaced the wiring socket on the passenger side rear tail light (original was corroded due to water leak, 'new' part pulled from junker, in good condition) and replaced the passenger side tail light itself as it was damaged. i believe some of this damaged wiring on the passenger side is what's causing the brake lamp light to come on. i have switched out a couple brown boxes on the passenger side tail light with the same results. the brown boxes are used, but appear to be in good shape.

also, when i push the hazard lights, both sides blink at a normal speed. all yellow lights work save for the driver side rear. just putting that out there in case it will help diagnose the problem.

i am tearing many things out of the car right now, however, here's my issues:
    * i have no idea how to tell if a wire is damaged or shorted
    * also, how on earth do i fix a damaged wire????

i'm happy to take photos if that will help. thanks in advance.

use a multi meter or even a test light and check that you have power at the socket

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

i am getting power in the socket where the bulb goes. the wiring for that harness is fine. also checked the wiring that harness plugs into and it's checked out ok. hmm...think it could be the turn signal relay under the dash? the only thing that makes me think it isnt is because this affects only one, not both turn signals.

Comment

Have you changed the bulb? Even if it the filament doesn't look broken it may be broken. Try swapping bulbs left to right.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Also check to see if the little plastic disk in the socket is seating correctly. I had an issue with that recently.

Comment

^do i push that down? how do you do that?

switched the bulbs just out of curiosity. and they both came on. they're the same size bulb.

Comment

and now the left one isn't working again.

Comment

should i check the relay for turn signals in the under the dash fuse box? could that cause the issue even if it's only one side being affected? maybe there's something wrong with the lever at the steering wheel column?

Comment

Originally posted by ontheroad92 View Post
                  ^do i push that down? how do you do that?

switched the bulbs just out of curiosity. and they both came on. they're the same size bulb.
                  You should be able to freely push it up and down. Swap harnesses from one side to the other they are the same.

Comment

i did the switch. didn't help.

i decided to go and clean off and reagrease the headlight/turn signal combo switch on the steering wheel column via the tutorial on here. that solved the problem and the turn signals are fine now! hope they stay that way.

thanks everyone!

Comment

...and it's doing it again. the bulb is moving up and down in the socket fine? the turn signals were working fine until today. now, i am dealing with the same issue, but this time it's on the passenger side as i switched the tail light harnesses.

looked online and it's pretty hard to find a replacement socket for a turn signal. there was one listed, but it's got 3 wires instead of 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X