No announcement yet.

Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see you have a stereo system... do you still have the automatic antenna? I don't remember ever having a problem with parasitic draw it until I installed an aftermarket head-unit in mine. Maybe try unplugging/disconnecting it and seeing if your power consumption lowers? It's at least a theory I meant to check on mine, but never got to before I parked it.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
      I see you have a stereo system... do you still have the automatic antenna? I don't remember ever having a problem with parasitic draw it until I installed an aftermarket head-unit in mine. Maybe try unplugging/disconnecting it and seeing if your power consumption lowers? It's at least a theory I meant to check on mine, but never got to before I parked it.
      Ya, will check it out. Power attenna is gone but the wire leading to the attenna is there and plugged into the stereo. I'll see if it makes a difference.

Comment

So with every fuse unplugged and even the large connectors on the drivers side I still have a 1ma pull. Ya....... I'm not chasing one milliamp. But on to the big ones....

12ma - Stereo
        10ma - interior light (all lights were off, trunk bulb pulled, doors closed)
        4.6ma - door lock (not sure on this one yet....)
        2.0ma - condenser fan (ahh don't think I even use this, but not 100% sure what fan connector I'm using. Probably the rad fan and not the AC fan)

Oh. Antenna was not plugged in.

Comment

Alright...

12ma - Stereo - No idea. Still pulls 12ma with stereo removed. Did drop to 6ma when i removed the stereo harness. (Stereo does have a brain unit which sits under drivers seat to control amps, ipod interface and ....hmmm entenna. Ahh thought that was it. Pulled all plugs on brain unit but same results).

10ma - interior light (all lights were off, trunk bulb pulled, doors closed). No idea on this one yet... even pulled most the bulbs.

4.6ma - door lock (not sure on this one yet....). Ug.. really not sure on this. Did not try unplugging lock relay box yet in the drivers door. All the locks work fine

2.0ma - condenser fan - ya... not in use. Will test next startup. Left fuse out.

I think I'm ok with the stereo drawing 12ma for whatever reason it does.. (IE: monitor parking brake for off mode.) But sure would be nice to know what exactly is drawing the power. Tomorrow I'll try removing the cig lighter too.

No way door locks should draw anything.

Interior lights should be an easy fix as soon as I remove all the lights.. Hopefully...

Comment

Jeesh, even just focusing on the interior light fuse...

- pulled all bulbs accessible to me
            - unplugged all large connectors on drivers side dash fuse box
            - unplugged clock
            - unplugged dimmer
            - unplugged ceiling light unit
            - unplugged rear light

running out of things to unplug :|

Comment

All your mah numbers look good, and aren't anything too crazy. Need to figure out what the large (1amp) drain you said you sporadically see is.

What's the CCA of your battery? Divide that by 7.25 and you should have your relative amp hour (Ah) capacity. (E.g. a 650CCA battery can store about 89.6 Ah). With a 10 mah draw it would take 373 days to drain said battery. At 50mah would take 74 days.

I presume you have an Alarm, have you checked that as a source of power draw? Or pulled the fuse out of your main battery feed to your amps and see if that helps?
              Last edited by cloudasc; 05-18-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

All your mah numbers look good, and aren't anything too crazy. Need to figure out what the large (1amp) drain you said you sporadically see is.

What's the CCA of your battery? Divide that by 7.25 and you should have your relative amp hour (Ah) capacity. (E.g. a 650CCA battery can store about 89.6 Ah). With a 10 mah draw it would take 373 days to drain said battery. At 50mah would take 74 days.

I presume you have an Alarm, have you checked that as a source of power draw? Or pulled the fuse out of your main battery feed to your amps and see if that helps?
                750CCA / 7.25 = 103Ah
                total ma pull is 28.6ma

2.6??
                Last edited by Raf99; 05-19-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  750CCA / 7.25 = 103Ah
                  total ma pull is 28.6ma

2.6??
                  There are 1000 mah in an Ah. So 103,000mah / 28.6mah (consumption over an hour) / 24 (hours in a day) = 150.058 days. So if there are no other drains, your battery (under ideal conditions), should last that long before being drained down to nothing.
                  Last edited by cloudasc; 05-19-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

There are 1000 mah in an Ah. So 103,000mah / 28.6mah (consumption over an hour) / 24 (hours in a day) = 150.058 days. So if there are no other drains, your battery (under ideal conditions), should last that long before being drained down to nothing.
                    No. it dies in 5-6 days with a 30amp drain on it.

Comment

For it to drain that quick (provided you have a healthy battery), means you are drawing on average 859mah/hr. So something is sucking a descent amount of power.

How much power is your stereo, and/or alarm drawing? What about the fuel pump / PGMFI relay? (They've been known to have solder issues, maybe the relay is stuck on, and your fuel pump never turns off? - Try some "percussive maintenance"?)

Comment

So the battle continues. We had.......

12ma - Stereo - Finally got down to 0ma, but not sure what did it. I basically unplugged everything in the car. As I plugged stuff back in, it never came back. Today I need to continue plugging things back in and see what happens.

10ma - interior light. Still no idea. Now pulling 2.6ma now with the car totally apart and not sure what this would be.

4.6ma - door lock - NO IDEA. This one makes no sense to me. All doors and locks work fine. Even with all door lock switches unplugged it still has an issue.

2.0ma - condenser - Not in use.

Comment

Ok, got stereo down to 0ma, by unplugging everything.

The 3.8ma for the door locks is coming from the door lock control unit box. Makes sense as it needs power to perform an unlock/lock feature with the car off.

Still cannot locate the 2.8ma off the interior light fuse. Think I may let that slide too.

Assuming I can keep everything quiet once plugged in we are looking at a 7.6ma drain on the battery. This website states this is 98 hours to drain the battery. But i wonder how many hours or days it would take to drop the battery 2V from it's 12.8V charged state.

Comment

Yaaaa, add 2.6ma for power folding mirrors. makes sense though..

So 9.6 or 10ma drain so far. Looking good.

Comment

So in the end the total is around 13ma. Having the stereo plugged in took the 9.6ma total up to 13ma. Fini for now. Starting to think i have a bad battery too.

Comment

Put the car back together and started up no problem. Everything works fine. Put a charger on the battery and it's at 12.57 or something. Going to see how much it reads tomorrow. Fuses left out (put in by shops?) was the sunroof fuse, condensor fan (confirmed today that the fan still turns on),

Oh, finally found a seat handle. I was always missing the drivers seat handle...

And did this mod...
                                Last edited by Raf99; 05-26-2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X