msnbc weird news.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msnbc weird news.

i read these from time to time. some stories are just hilarious.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40838857...ws-weird_news/

CLEMSON, S.C. — A man has been hospitalized after police in South Carolina say he was hit by an SUV while playing a real-life version of the video game "Frogger."

Authorities said the 23-year-old man was taken to a hospital in Anderson after he was struck at around 9 p.m. Monday.

In the "Frogger" arcade game, players move frogs through traffic on a busy road and through a hazard-filled river. Before he was hit, police say the man had been discussing the game with his friends.

Chief Jimmy Dixon says the man yelled "go" and darted into oncoming traffic in the four-lane highway.

No charges are expected against the driver. The name of the man who was struck has not been released. He was in stable condition Monday night.
    Kids these days ...

Police in Boise, Idaho, arrested a 68-year-old man on Tuesday for reportedly punching a 15-year-old boy who refused to turn off his iPhone on a flight.

"He punched him so hard there was a mark on the teen's arm," Lt. Kent Lipple told Boise's KBOI2.com.

The teenager, on a Las Vegas-to-Boise flight operated by Southwest, was playing games and listening to music, police say, when flight attendants told passengers to power down electronic devices.
    Timeline: Top travel stories of 2010 (on this page)

Russell Miller, witnesses said, became angry that the teen didn't respond.

Miller says he "tapped" the teen on the shoulder after he refused to turn off the phone. He told the Idaho Statesman that he may have "overreacted," but that he did not punch the teen.

After the incident, pilots contacted air-traffic control, who requested that police officers be waiting at the gate upon arrival.

Miller was charged with misdemeanor battery and booked in jail.
    Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 12-31-2010, 03:18 PM.

The first dude deserved to get hit. That's what happens when you jump in front of traffic! Glad the driver wasn't charged.

The old man... I'd probably have hit the kid too. ESPECIALLY an old dude on the plane... probably paranoid as hell about this newfangled technology interfering with the plane's newfangled computer stuff, and possibly crashing it. I mean, they tell you to turn off your stuff for a reason! That little punk deserved to be hit. They should have given that man a 1st class upgrade, not arrested him.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      The first dude deserved to get hit. That's what happens when you jump in front of traffic! Glad the driver wasn't charged.

The old man... I'd probably have hit the kid too. ESPECIALLY an old dude on the plane... probably paranoid as hell about this newfangled technology interfering with the plane's newfangled computer stuff, and possibly crashing it. I mean, they tell you to turn off your stuff for a reason! That little punk deserved to be hit. They should have given that man a 1st class upgrade, not arrested him.
      They put airplane modes on phones for a reason... So you can use them in airplanes. That old man is a fucking idiot and deserved to get arrested. Would he rather the kid just kick his seat?

Comment

Well, the airplane staff tell people to power off electronic devices. The man asked the kid to do it. The kid could have said "I put it on 'airplane mode', so it should be safe"... but no, he ignored the old man. If you can't communicate properly, and your lack of communication angers someone... you get what you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Well, the airplane staff tell people to power off electronic devices. The man asked the kid to do it. The kid could have said "I put it on 'airplane mode', so it should be safe"... but no, he ignored the old man. If you can't communicate properly, and your lack of communication angers someone... you get what you deserve.
          He never said he ignored the old man, he said he refused. No quotes were included so its all up to how you interpret it. And the old man even lied saying he didn't punch the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            They put airplane modes on phones for a reason... So you can use them in airplanes. That old man is a fucking idiot and deserved to get arrested. Would he rather the kid just kick his seat?
            I think the issue must have been that the kid was using the speaker to listen aloud.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Yeah, I'd have hauled off and hit the little twerp too.

I'm a cranky old man myself!

Comment

should of just done this...

Comment

I would have never though you Deev as someone too jump straight to physical aggression so quick, or even at all. Even more so, when there is no one else that is threatening you with physical harm, and its a KID to boot.

The old man was out of place no matter how what you see it. When is physical confrontation entirely necessary? Certainly not in that situation.
                  There are many more routes he could have, and SHOULD have taken before subjecting to hitting the kid. Its obvious that he never even alerted the flight staff to take care of the problem, he just resorted to attacking the kid when something didn't go his way. I'm sure the old guy has a history of anger problems as well, if his willing to hit a kid in public he has probably done worse too the people around him.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

I prolly wouldn't hit the kid just because I don't want to visit jail but I would have wanted to. I have no patience with kids who think they're all that and don't have to listen and can do whatever they want when they want. When I was growing up, only 10-15 years ago, if I misbehaved I got spanked RIGHT THERE. Nobody ever called the police on my parents and I'm better off for it now. Hitting is a bit different from discipline but the kid needed to be punished for not listening. I'd have taken the iphone and broke it, no jail time for that. Where were his parents and why didn't they do anything? Now there is somebody I'd gladly hit for neglecting their child...neglecting to teach respect and obedience.
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                      ACTUALLY you arent supposed to have any electronic devices on while taking off and landing. but in the air you can. that's why airplane mode is there. they have lots of communications while taking off and landing and do not want anything interfering with their electronics. i know i wouldn't. that kid deserved it. what ever happened to following directions? what ever happened to minding other people? apparently, all gone out the window!
                      Last edited by Law Grandeur; 01-01-2011, 05:16 AM.

no
                      Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                      $30 HID kits here Thread
                      "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                      "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

I would have straight up flicked the kid hard as fuck in the back of the head.... How can a flick be concidered battery right?

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
                        PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

Well heres the problem i have

That article does not provide enough information. With the information provided the old man is dead wrong...

No where did it say if it was take off, landing or in flight.

No where did it say he was listening aloud with a speaker

And no where did it say the kid ignored him

You just dont hit a fucking kid over somthing so minor as that. hes a fucking dumbass, how some of you could even side with the old guy is just beyond me...

Comment

I originally read on another source that it was during takeoff and the guy backhanded him and it left a mark on his shoulder. The guy is old school, my parents were old school, you dont behave you get smacked, no matter where you are. Now if someone disciplines a kid physically, whether its warranted or not they go to jail. I say good for that old man popping him one. But if he actually closed fisted punched him, that might be going a little far. Damn tippey you sound like you're taking it pretty personal... it wasn't you was it haha jk!

Comment

The point is, he's an old man. Old people GENERALLY are a bit less trusting and understanding of technology. That guy was probably freaking out, thinking this kid's phone might interfere with the plane's systems and cause it to crash. People get irrational on planes.

The kid was breaking the safety rules. The old man lost it. I side with the old man in this one, 100%. Should he have hit him? No, I suppose not... but did he just haul off and hit the kid without trying to get him to turn his phone off first? No. The kid ignored his request.

If you're standing at a gas station, and the guy at the next pump is about to light up a cigarette... do you let him do it, or do you stop him? If stopping him involves smacking the hand holding the lighter, is that wrong? If you felt his careless actions were putting your life at risk, is it really over-reacting?
                              That's how I see it. I don't justify hitting someone for being annoying, but if I feel threatened in any way, I WILL do what it takes to neutralize that threat.

Comment

Working...
                              X