Lag/Issues with getting up to speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lag/Issues with getting up to speed

so i'm having problems with my wagon, which has an automatic transmission, getting up to about 45-55 mph. it is not wanting to stay at that speed either. i gotta push on the gas a little more. not many issues driving at lower speeds, such as 25-35 mph.

the egr ports were cleaned out this past december to pass emissions. it ran well until monday and hasn't been on the road otherwise.

my friend told me to put it in neutral and rev it and send over a video, as i did not know what to look for regarding transmission issues. he says it revs fine.

any ideas what might be causing this folks?

here's the video:
    http://vid280.photobucket.com/albums...psgxwa7khx.mp4

forgot to add, i'm not getting any cel codes. oxygen sensor was replaced in november. cylinder head partially rebuilt in october.

Comment

Sounds like your torque converter is failing, 5 speed swap time.
      CB7TUNER.com
      Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

i'm just learning to drive stick shift. heh. yes, i am embarrased to admit that, but everyone has to start somewhere. i don't feel confident enough to switch to it just yet.

how repairable is this possible problem?

Comment

i personally don't mess with auto trannies, so will be of little help to you on that issue.
          But i would say its as easy as your mechanically inclined.
          CB7TUNER.com
          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

not much experience here tbh. i have learned quite a few things from friends and this website.

Comment

Originally posted by ontheroad92 View Post
              i'm just learning to drive stick shift. heh. yes, i am embarrased to admit that, but everyone has to start somewhere. i don't feel confident enough to switch to it just yet.

how repairable is this possible problem?
              If it's the torque converter, you're going to have to drop the transmission anyway. The torque converter is where the clutch assembly would normally be.

It's not hard job, but it's not something you'd want to do if you're not inclined. It's removing quite a bit of components, brakes, axles, VSS, fluids, etc. Not only that, but seals need to be replaced, and things like to break.

What color is your transmission fluid? Brown? Black? It sounds like the high gear clutches are slipping.

The torque converter takes crank power, and increases it through fluid pressure. Look it up on YouTube on Engineering Explained or something.

Everything is repairable.

Comment

the fluid is brownish red. no burnt smell or anything. was going to do a half drain and refill when i went to change out my oil pan gasket.

i can do some minor stuff like brakes, radiator at my place, but it's hard to pull off a tranny drop there. also, no real idea what i'm looking for as far as what's wrong, so i'd have to look all that up. sadly, my two friends who could help out are busy, and the one with space got reported to code enforcement by a bitch neighbor.

Comment

so i had someone look at it, and y'all were right- it's the torque converter. guy told me he can have a new transmission put in for $700 in labor. i've seen a few places to get one online for about $500-800, and this place will let me have one brought in. any places online y'all would recommend? guy said it's better to do that than just replace the torque converter. what do y'all think? i don't drive the car much, maybe 2-300 miles/month. guy says it ok to drive, but eventually it will need to be done.

Comment

I believe my torque converter is shot as well. Does yours bang or pop when you let off the gas after it tried to downshift? I know mine, after it has warmed up, has weird issues with the trans.

A few shops have told me it is the torque converter and a few have said it is the transmission mount....

I cannot offer any advice on whether it is better to replace the trans or the torque converter, sorry.

Comment

no bangs or pops. i have to push on the gas a little harder to get it going and it doesn't want to stay at speed very well. from what i've been told it's not completely undriveable for now, BUT i don't drive much.

Comment

Just do the rear main, and front pump seals while you're at it. Use Honda fluid only.

Comment

If you seriously are considering a 5-speed swap I have most of the "kit" (transmission, pedals, shifter, cables, clutch lines) that I need to get rid of that would be a lot cheaper than getting another automatic. PM me if interested.
                          1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
                          VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
                          NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
                          CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

Working...
                          X