Always Getting Shocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always Getting Shocked

I really don't know where to start this thread, but here's what's going on. Every time I get out of my car and shut the door, I get shocked. It's actually getting pretty bad now, to the point where I'm closing the door with my foot. I haven't changed anything recently, and it's only been happening for about a week.

It doesn't appear to affect the passenger doors, just the driver.

(IB4 search, I did.)

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Scolirk View Post
    I really don't know where to start this thread, but here's what's going on. Every time I get out of my car and shut the door, I get shocked. It's actually getting pretty bad now, to the point where I'm closing the door with my foot. I haven't changed anything recently, and it's only been happening for about a week.

It doesn't appear to affect the passenger doors, just the driver.

(IB4 search, I did.)

Thanks in advance!
    Has any of your clothing changed in the last week?
    That's usually the main reason for it.

To prevent it touch a piece of metal before you get out of the car (like the door latch striker on the B pillar)

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

like... a static shock or an electric shock...?

Comment

Same thing happens to me when I get out of my CB, but not my CB9. I know there is something you can buy that will make it so that don't happen I just don't know what. There is a guy on here that has one, JaK FRoSTWhiTE here is a pic of it:

Cappuccino Member #9<--- click for thread

^click for MRT^
        CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
        Coupe MRT

Comment

It's the dry winter air. You get more static electricity buildup because of it.
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

You might have a bad ground. Mine was doing it for a while. I added another ground to the engine and it went away.

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
            Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
            Originally posted by bmxicansd
            so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Originally posted by lilb_1979 View Post
              Same thing happens to me when I get out of my CB, but not my CB9. I know there is something you can buy that will make it so that don't happen I just don't know what. There is a guy on here that has one, JaK FRoSTWhiTE here is a pic of it:

I always wondered what those were for. Someone once told me it was for car sickness which doesn't make sense.

I'll double check my ground wires, maybe the fog lamp ground isn't positioned properly. If not I'll try one of these out.

Thanks everyone, lots of good info posted!

Comment

every time my girlfriend gets shocked when she gets out of my car but I dont...

Comment

Originally posted by nowzor View Post
                  every time my girlfriend gets shocked when she gets out of my car but I dont...
                  No comment but i lol'd.

Comment

You can keep a can of static spray in your car to prevent this from happening. You can find it a department stores .

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

It's just the weather man, once it gets wetter out it will go away.
                      1991 Cappuccino Brown LX Coupe
                      2013 Rallye Red Civic EX Coupe

Comment

Wear a leather jacket
                        10th Anniversary Accord.
                        05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Well, you could always try to measure voltage on the part of the car that is shocking you. If no voltage was present, I would check out the resistance on the wiring to everything that has power in the door.

If ANY voltage is present you know you have an issue. As a general rule of thumb, as voltage drops amperage spikes. So if you have something that has shorted out, that is causing this, it WOULD shock you.

Voltage isn't really what hurts when you get shocked on a 12v system. Its the amperage that fucks you up.

Personally, I would bust out a multi meter and check into it. Im sure there would be other signs that something else is fuckered up if you had a real issue. Find the symptoms to find the problem.

Just as an example, if you touch the top of your car when you get out and dont get shocked but you do get shocked touching the door, you can bet your ass something is going on with the door. If the shock is from static, you will ground out to whatever you touch and get shocked. Not just the door. If the door specifically is whats shocking you, look harder at the door.

If you have an amp running speakers in the door, it could cause this from a loose wire. If you have a factory amp(bose system) same thing could happen. If you have a short in the master control or lock relay, either could cause this.

And, if your mirror wiring is fucked it could also cause this.

The door has both constant and acc power supply, so really anything is possible.

Go do work and report back to us.
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I know I know, have you changed detergents to wash your clothes recently? Do you use a fabric softener? I had a similiar problem myself, and it was due to not using fabric softener.

EDIT: Most powdered detergents (Tide is one of the exception) when not used with liquid fabric softener will cause excessive static buildup, so when you slide across your cloth seats to get in and out of your vehicle, you build up static electricity, and discharge it when you touch something metal (like the exterior door handle).
                            Last edited by cloudasc; 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM.
                            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                              It's the dry winter air. You get more static electricity buildup because of it.
                              This.

Happening to me everyday recently. Pretty annoying. Now I tap the bottom off my hand on the door quickly before i push on it to close it.

Comment

Working...
                              X