Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: Setting Base Ignition Timing (F22ax, F22bx)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Setting Base Ignition Timing (F22ax, F22bx)

I created this thread because I've realized many people do not have this set properly on their engines, but think they do and wonder why the problems. A proper base ignition timing will allow the engine to operate the way it is intended. If your ignition timing was previously retarded, it can cause hesitations in the powerband. Too much advance can cause surges/jerkiness in the powerband. You will need a timing gun.

Setting Base Ignition Timing Properly:

1) Critical to setting ignition timing, is to first have your idle set properly. Please refer to this thread link and complete before going to step # 2 on this thread.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146239

2) Assuming you have properly set your base idle, the motor should be fully warmed up and idling between 700-800 RPMs consistently. Pull the ignition timing rubber plug in the front of the motor, between the engine block and tranny mating surfaces.

3) With motor running, connect your timing gun carefully, ALWAYS watching where the cables for are being placed (i.e. away from hot areas/exhaust and rotating components). Connect the - and + cables to the respective battery posts. Connect the firing indicator cable on # 1 cylinder (closest to driver-side fender). Press the trigger on the timing gun, make sure the strobe light works. Again, make sure all cables are away from hot areas or rotating components and place timing gun down in safe area.

4) Take a metal paperclip and turn it into a "U-shape". Go to your front passenger-side footwell area and on right side, there should be the blue 2-pin service connector used for reading CEL codes. Insert the paperclip tips into the connector, as if you were reading the codes. You should notice the CEL light come on the instrument panel, this indicates you made a good connection, if not reconnect again. This sets the ECU into base ignition timing mode.

NOTE: The 2-pin connector on 1990 Accords are male pins. Use small section of wire with alligator clips on both ends, electrical tape one of these clips. Use this instead of paperclip.

5) Go to the engine, loosen the 3 distributor housing base screws, so that you can rotate it to either side (do not turn it though). Retighten the distributor base screw at 12 o'clock location before moving on.

6a) If you have a flywheel/flexplate with 15 +/- 2 deg timing marks, proceed with this setup. If you have a knob/dial on the back of the timing gun, leave it at 0 degrees. If you do not have this feature, proceed to step # 7. Your reference marks on the flywheel/flexplate will be the 15 +/- 2 degree timing marks.

6b) If you have an aftermarket flywheel/flexplate with NO 15 +/- 2 deg timing marks and ONLY a TDC mark, proceed with this setup. If you have a knob/dial on the back of the timing gun, set it to 15 degrees. If you do not have this feature, you can NOT set ignition timing accurately. Your reference mark on the flywheel/flexplate will be TDC mark.

7) Hold timing gun, press trigger and point at flywheel/flexplate, strobe light will activate. Take aim and line your eye so the " > " lines up with the " - ", much like a gun sight. Once your eyes are lined up with the flywheel/flexplate properly, read directly to your left and take note of whether you must move UP or DOWN to line up with your proper mark (i.e. 15 deg. or TDC, based on step # 6 a/b).

NOTE: For F22bx motors, look at the crank pulley for the block pointer for ignition timing marks.

8a) If you must move UP, then your ignition timing was too retarded and you must advance the distributor. This means you rotate it distributor base towards firewall until your mark lines up.

8b) If you must move DOWN, then your ignition timing was too advanced and you must retard the distributor. This means you rotate it distributor base towards the radiator until your mark lines up.

9) Once you lined up the marks and are running at 15 deg. BTDC (before top-dead center), then tighten the top distributor screw which is enough to lock it in place for now. Carefully set the timing gun down, again checking cables to be free from harm. Shut off the engine.

10) Remove the timing gun and its cables from engine bay area. Tighten all the remaining distributor screws.

11) Remove the paperclip from the 2-pin service connector.

12) Remove 7.5 AMP ECU backup/radio under-hood fusebox fuse for 10 seconds, then reinsert to allow ECU to reset itself.

13) Your base ignition timing is set properly. Mark your distributor base to the camshaft cap with a paint pen/permanent marker so you can properly reinstall your distributor anytime you remove it in the future.
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

this cant be done on a f22b2? cuz i dont have the place where that plug is...
    clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7
    Yahoo=annamaineeak@yahoo.com

Comment

yes you can, the rubber plug is only for the f22ax because the timing marks are located on the flywheel. for the f22bx, the timing mark is located on the crank pulley.

Comment

Originally posted by alkoholikwun View Post
        yes you can, the rubber plug is only for the f22ax because the timing marks are located on the flywheel. for the f22bx, the timing mark is located on the crank pulley.
        yeah i remember seeing them i just thought they were lil nicks from tools but yeah im gonna set my base tommorrow
        thanks!

I VOTE STICKY!
        clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7

Comment

^^^ I VOTE PICS! when u do urs. lol

MEMBERS RIDE.

Bought from: DannyD , Night Wolf , CB7=91, lummieCB7
          Sold to: LITuner, rezist09, Pacman91EX, 93AccordLXwhite, PhatAccord, TheNextEpisode

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_213 View Post
            ^^^ I VOTE PICS! when u do urs. lol
            Photos would be difficult in the timing gun use, shooting the light into the flywheel/flexplate area.

Comment

Originally posted by alkoholikwun View Post
              I forgot about that, edited the title to only F22ax. I worked on a F22bx a long time ago, not much different. Like someone said, use same concept of my directions, but use timing gun in different area.

Most cars you either read a timing plug between tranny/block or at the crank pulley, I thought that was common knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                I forgot about that, edited the title to only F22ax. I worked on a F22bx a long time ago, not much different. Like someone said, use same concept of my directions, but use timing gun in different area.

Most cars you either read a timing plug between tranny/block or at the crank pulley, I thought that was common knowledge.
                well sorry i didnt know that piece of common knowledge... but thanks for the info, i still vote sticky...
                clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7

Comment

well written and great info

8 Accords so far:
                  '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
                  '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
                  (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Originally posted by sleepygreen View Post
                    well sorry i didnt know that piece of common knowledge... but thanks for the info, i still vote sticky...
                    I did not mean to offend, you made a valid point and I used that information. I was just being straight-forward.

Comment

Bump this up. I just installed my new dizzy and set my timing.
                      thanks Cisco.

steve

Comment

Curious, am I trying to align the white mark? Or which mark do I adjust the timing too?

Comment

Bump. Came across this thread when searching. Great write up and good info. More people need to do this. And yes, this works for H22's as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X