Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Question about F23xx vtec head on F22a4 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about F23xx vtec head on F22a4 block

Will the F23xx Vtec head work properly with an F22a4 block??

I cant seem to find much details on this project, though i did find one forum about it but it was a failure due to cylinders #1 and 2 not contributing properly at idle... So the guy went with an F22B1 head. Now, i dont want to buy another head beacuse im on a budget so i want to know about this first because i had already purchased the f23 head.

I want to know if i will encounter any major problems by doing this project and i would also appreciate any suggestions on this project. i took the engine out of my CB7 already, just tryina do more research before i get to work. Also i would appreciate any do's or do not's since i am new to the tuning world.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this. Any help is appreciated in advance.

First let me say that the SOHC VTEC heads flow like ass. Secondly be prepared for a rant about hybrid motors from deev or another mod. However i wish you good luck!

Comment

I don't rant anymore. I've done it dozens of times. Anyone who's too lazy to search hard enough to find just one of those rants deserves to waste their time and money building an engine that's going to blow up on them.

Comment

Hear, hear!

Was there something wrong with the F22A? If not you pulled it for no reason. At least not one that has power benefits. I'd check compression and replace all the seals and gaskets on the F22, then put it back in.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I don't rant anymore. I've done it dozens of times. Anyone who's too lazy to search hard enough to find just one of those rants deserves to waste their time and money building an engine that's going to blow up on them.
          I've searched and found some information but not enough to convince me that its a good idea, and trust me im still searching. There isnt much info on this kind of mod thats why i posted this, which is also why i havent done anything yet cause i wouldnt wanna waste my money on something that wont work. Ill keep searching.

Comment

Look for info about the H22 head swap. The very same arguments will apply... though the compression argument isn't as strong (then again, the F23 only makes SLIGHTLY more power than the F22A...)

Comment

^ dont bad mouth the deev. real shiet. Do it bro its so easy to do. but not easy to last long. go ahead and do it itll be an awesome learning curve. maybe youll work out all the kinks and help others that want to use a f22 block with a f23 head. rly

Comment

By that logic why doesn't he go ahead and cure cancer so that kinks in the research are worked out.

The issue is not that it's difficult. An H22A head onto an F22 block can be pulled off. The issue exists with bore sizes in all cases that involve swapping F23A, H22A, H23A heads onto 85mm F22A blocks. But out there somewhere is a source of information that tries to convince people that this is a good idea. So without fail, almost every day on this site someone asks how to do it and what our opinions are. There are already hundreds of threads to refer to on the topic and simply because the OP thinks that because this is a different combination than he's found data on that it warrants a question. To that I say you obviously didn't read the reasoning given in the other explanations (bore sizes) or you don't know what the bore size for an F23A is. Either one should take you out of the running of the list of people capable of doing the swap. I don't mean to be rude, just honest. Freshen up the F22A4 you took out. Possibly even put a cam in it if you have the resources to get it tuned. If you're going that far you may want to have someone do some mild porting to clean up the exhaust ports a little. Reinstall with a nice header and you'll be 10 times better off than the power that a theoretical 2.2L F23A would have made.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  Hear, hear!

Was there something wrong with the F22A? If not you pulled it for no reason. At least not one that has power benefits. I'd check compression and replace all the seals and gaskets on the F22, then put it back in.
                  Yes there is. Thats why i pulled it out, cause i wanna replace all those seals and gaskets and the engine is 220k old so maybe pistons too. Also because i want to scrub clean that dirty ass engine bay. and tuck some wires in so it doesnt look a mess. If anything ill go for the H22

Comment

I'd say that the H22 would be much less of a headache and offer you more valueable gains when all is said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Look for info about the H22 head swap. The very same arguments will apply... though the compression argument isn't as strong (then again, the F23 only makes SLIGHTLY more power than the F22A...)
                      I might just get the whole H22 engine which is my next option when i get my tax return. so far with the research ive done, people who has done the F23 on the F22a4 block have switched to the F22b1 head on the F22a4 block because the F23 didnt seem cut it. Mean while i want to rebuild the F22a4 block and keep it as extra...

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                      ^ dont bad mouth the deev. real shiet. Do it bro its so easy to do. but not easy to last long. go ahead and do it itll be an awesome learning curve. maybe youll work out all the kinks and help others that want to use a f22 block with a f23 head. rly
                      I wasnt bad mouthing Deev. I respect him as much as he does me. And yeah thats partially why i wanna do it, but i wont do it if its not worth it or if it wont last long.

By that logic why doesn't he go ahead and cure cancer so that kinks in the research are worked out.

The issue is not that it's difficult. An H22A head onto an F22 block can be pulled off. The issue exists with bore sizes in all cases that involve swapping F23A, H22A, H23A heads onto 85mm F22A blocks. But out there somewhere is a source of information that tries to convince people that this is a good idea. So without fail, almost every day on this site someone asks how to do it and what our opinions are. There are already hundreds of threads to refer to on the topic and simply because the OP thinks that because this is a different combination than he's found data on that it warrants a question. To that I say you obviously didn't read the reasoning given in the other explanations (bore sizes) or you don't know what the bore size for an F23A is. Either one should take you out of the running of the list of people capable of doing the swap. I don't mean to be rude, just honest. Freshen up the F22A4 you took out. Possibly even put a cam in it if you have the resources to get it tuned. If you're going that far you may want to have someone do some mild porting to clean up the exhaust ports a little. Reinstall with a nice header and you'll be 10 times better off than the power that a theoretical 2.2L F23A would have made.
                      I appreciate your honesty. I will look up all the info on my block before doing anything. I WAS thinking of putting a better cam before the head went... right now theres no money so ill leave it alone til pay day.

I'd say that the H22 would be much less of a headache and offer you more valueable gains when all is said and done.
                      Yes which is why ill have the H22 on the side incase this doesnt work out.

Originally posted by hondakid1996 View Post
                      First let me say that the SOHC VTEC heads flow like ass. Secondly be prepared for a rant about hybrid motors from deev or another mod. However i wish you good luck!
                      OK. There is no need for ranting. If Deev thinks i should keep searching then ill keep searching. It just means i havent searched far enough. Not a problem. Thanks!

Comment

The F22B1 has the same bore size as the A1, so that is better... but honestly, the F22B1 head is a downgrade from the F22A1. If you want VTEC, get an H22A. Don't waste your time with the SOHC VTEC.

Comment

The reason why you'll have idle problems is because the f23 uses s 3wire idle valve, which the stock ecu cannot control, the only way to fix this is to get a b1 intake mani which defeats the purpose of the swap, if all you want is vtec opt for real vtec DOHC
                          Wait till your taxes get here, and just buy a jdm engine, a 220k honda engine has just reached puberty
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

^ this

basically i was going to let you get all the way to the aic before i would say, Oh yeah btw it has a 3 wire aic. but even that not that hard to fix,

you see its just too much trouble for the gain your getting out of it.

Some one should make a big giant sticky of WHY not to ask about making a F/H frankenstein

Comment

IIRC all USDM F22A/B/23's use the same cumbustion chamber size aswell as the h23's here in the states.

Also contrary to popular belief the F23 heads flow quite nicely it and the F22b flow even better on the exhaust side of things compared to the F22a. The F23 has just as much potential in my eyes as the F22a once modified the F22b is the bastard child.

02 Crv
                              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                              X