OEM dash bulb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM dash bulb question

I've recently noticed the +12V lighter illumination ring wasn't working with the headlights so I took things apart and discovered the bulb was out. To my surprise (and the Honda parts CSR) these were actually in stock.

But after getting them home I discovered the new bulbs were missing the blue color "condom" sleeve of the original. So I called back to the dealer and found out the part numbers have changed (big surprise). Apparently these clear bulbs are all that is available.

Is it possible to remove the colored sleeve from the old and install it on the new?

I'm thinking not since this has been fused on by heat and age and even if it was designed to come off at one time there is little chance now.

Better question has anyone a DIY fix for this like some specialized plastic paint dip or something?
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

they come off pretty easily, i found keeping it wet with water helps. Dont just try to pull it straight off, make sure you work the sides loose, until you can "spin" it around freely on the bulb (similar to breaking a rubber hose loose from a nipple). Then it will come off.

The alternative is you can get some of that "Metalcast" or any of the colored chrome spraypaints from the auto parts store. Ends up they are actually just a transparent spray. They have blue, and the red stuff works nicely for lenses too.
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-26-2017, 09:46 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thank you very much Mike!

That's exactly what I needed to know...
      My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
        Thank you very much Mike!

That's exactly what I needed to know...
        I just grab them from cars in the JY.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

One thing I did was color it with a blue or in my case, orange colored Sharpie permanent marker.

I converted my blue stock lights to match my Prelude BB6 gauge cluster's orange color.

Check out my member's ride thread for more pictures I took of the process.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
            they come off pretty easily, i found keeping it wet with water helps. Dont just try to pull it straight off, make sure you work the sides loose, until you can "spin" it around freely on the bulb (similar to breaking a rubber hose loose from a nipple). Then it will come off.
            Just a quick follow-up to let you know Mike's suggestion worked. But it took a little more effort since heat and age conspired once again to fuse the sleeve onto the bulb.

Tried running it under warm water and twisting it but that didn't seem to work obviously didn't want to damage it. So I filled a small plastic container with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and warm water. After letting it soak for about 10 minutes I tried twisting it off but it was too slippery. So I ran it under warm water and my grip improved enough to eventually loosen the sleeve and carefully it twisted off in one piece

FYI I used latex gloves the entire time so as not to get any skin oils on the bulb surface which might shorten it's lifespan. Here's to another 24 years of trouble free operation... thanks Mike!
            My Collection:

Comment

Working...
            X