Idle air bleed screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle air bleed screw

Ok so I I'm really not even sure if that's what it's called (idle air bleed screw), but does anyone know how to remove or loosen copper screw if it is stripped...the one on the passenger side of the throttle body right beneath vicinity of the vacuum lines, sorry if my discription is vague, any input or help is appreciated

Nothing??? Ok well thanks anyway

Comment

What part of it is stripped, the threads inside the throttle body or the head of the screw?

Assuming you are referring to the brass idle air adjustment screw.
      Last edited by GhostAccord; 04-22-2017, 03:34 PM.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Exactly!!! Yes the head of that screw is stripped. I had the infamous idle bounce issue, someone told me to take that screw out clean up the carbon deposits and screw it back in "be careful". I did, it didn't fix the idle problem. I ended up accidentally fixing the idle issue later (like 2 weeks ago) but my idle is at like 4-500 rpm steady. I believe I tighten that idle air bleed screw to tight when reinstalling and strip the screw I need to back it out a bit sounds like I'm not getting enough air at idle

Comment

Get a dremel, cut a slot the other way on it (making your own flat head slot). Turn it out. You can also take a hammer and small flat head and try to tap round the edge (essentially turning it) like a mini version of this video.

Comment

The only issue I can see with cutting it with a dremel is that the screw head is recessed inside the throttle body housing. Although it probably wouldn't be a big deal to cut a little bit of the housing. It is not the part of the throttle body that meters the air going past the idle air adjustment screw.

A small flat tip screw driver and a small hammer would probably work as shown. Then one you have the screw backed out. You should ether replace it with a new one (junk yard) or cut a flat groove in it. May not be able to get one from the junk yard as they would rather sell you a complete throttle body.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X